Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2005 WRC Begins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:13 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It forces air to go over the wing even when the car is getting a bit sideways. Without it, they would loose downforce sliding around turns.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ezhangin
that was bad ***, go !!! I feel bad about about solberg and gronholm tho, oh well, **** happens. Too bad about Duval (sp?) crashing and the guy in the skoda crashing too, at least no one got seriously hurt.
well, third is good, but with panizzi being on asphault,which is what he is best at, he should have done a lil' better... now that mitsu is on par with the hydraulic assist and whatever else they lacked last year for the "test" phase. I didnt get to see gronholm crash, it was like 12:30 here on the east coast and i had to be up at 6, so i went to bed... did rovanpera manage to stay in 7th?? Because if so that is double points for mitsu... and that would be a really good start to the year.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:03 PM

Yes he did, Mitsu it tied in the Mfgr points with Pugeot. Granted its the first rally....

For those of you who don't know. www.wrc.com. All the rally info you want is there. Also check out www.rallylive.com. Lots of good pic's/wallpapers and good info.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys think Loeb will ever lose again?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:26 PM

Deffinatley. I have a strange feeling that the Citroen will become unreliabe in the middle of the season... Don't know why, but i think its their time...
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by GT-One
UFO, Gilles won Espana (Catalunya) October, 2003 it was the last victory for the Peugeot that season, Marcus Gronholm came in 6th. Panizzi's shoulder injury was in 2002, and he won San Remo in 2002 (again ahead of Gronholm) after the shoulder surgery. Anyway he probably knows how many Panizzi's it takes to change a lightbulb now (that was the reason given at the time, that he fell off a ladder changing a light bulb at home...).
I totally agree. Gilles is the tarmac EXPERT, and hes getting good at gravel too. If you ever watched Catalunya 2003, you would know what I mean. Gilles was behind Sebastien Loeb by a lot on the last stage (30 secs or so if i remember correctly), and it was raining REAL hard out. On that famous hairpin corner where Gilles did the intentional donut for the crowd in 2002, Loeb went through the corner really slow, didn't even break the rear end loose, becuase it was so incredibly slippery out (and I believe that both Loeb and Gilles were on dry tarmac tires). When Gilles took the corner, he came in sliding COMPLETLEY sideways (like 90 degrees), and caught the inside "lip" of the corner with his front wheel, and floored it all the way through. If he didn't catch that tiny "lip" in the corner (where the road meets the grass), he would have gone flying off the road into the spectators he was going so fast. He ended up 13 secs ahead of Loeb at the end of the last stage and won. This clip of him doing this AMAZING corner i havent seen on any rally vids unfortunatley, and I only saw it on TV, I always wonder why it isnt in one. (its the same corner as the one Gronholm is shown taking in the 2003 recap video with the Music "Cosmic Gate - Exporation of Space", at 1:42 in, but thats Gronholm and not Gilles, the one of Gilles is taken with the camera pointing up at the corner from the bottom of it, not from the top pointing down like in the Gronholm one. Gronholm is going like 5x slower than Gilles was in that corner ).

Anyone have that clip? you will know what I mean if you've seen it.

Also, Gilles won a stage at Monte this year, and came 2nd, 3rd, 4th in a bunch too. He was down thge leaderboard quite a bit after the first day because there were problems with the gearbox (wouldn't shift withthe paddle so he had to revert it to manual control) and the handbrake (which broke on one of the stages). If there were no probs with his car and no probs with anyone elses, I think he still would have come in 3rd. And lets face it, the Lancer WRC still isn't as good as the Xsara or the Impreza WRC cars.... If all of the drivers were in the same cars gilles would win.

Anyways, enough of my mindless ranting....

Last edited by awddrifter; Jan 26, 2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Oh man..i want to see this vid..does anyone have it??
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:11 PM

Gilles never did very well at the Monty, can't wait to see how he does with the new car on a true tarmac event.... Unfortunatly we have to wait till august for rally Deutschland
Old Jan 30, 2005, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone else notice during the coverage that Peugeot was using an Evo VI as their recce car? Another forum I was reading suggested that a lot of the WRC teams use Evos and WRXs as the street versions of their own WRC cars are not all wheel drive.

Best wishes,
F86sabre
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

When is the next race?

Last edited by NYREDEVO; Apr 28, 2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:56 PM

February 11 - 13th. The swedish rally, only snow rally of the season!!

Go here for tons o additional info WRC
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

i wish it was on every weekend
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by f86sabre
Anyone else notice during the coverage that Peugeot was using an Evo VI as their recce car? Another forum I was reading suggested that a lot of the WRC teams use Evos and WRXs as the street versions of their own WRC cars are not all wheel drive.

Best wishes,
F86sabre
What's a recce car?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Recce

Originally Posted by Spare-Flair
What's a recce car?
Recce, translates into a reconnaissance run through the stage that the team does to determine the anticipated course conditions during the hot run, and they either radio or transmit it to the driver & co-driver before they take to the same stage later that day. ...as is my understanding.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 03:58 PM

Back in 2002 speed had daily highlights from each day and a preview and post view show. So there was rally from thursday through to mondays, 1 hour each show. Then they also replayed each twice during the next day!!! Then they cut it for the friggen Nascrap shows. Not only that they used to have daily coverage of the Dakar Rally but that was cut this year as well..... Speed channel is just going downhill soooo fast its sad....

PS, i have VCD's of most of the 2002 rally season highlight shows. They are pretty cool!

Quick Reply: 2005 WRC Begins