Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

A Teaching Line at Willow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Teaching Line at Willow

I've started doing the classroom session for a couple of groups at Willow Springs, and I'm using a big graphic of the track with a driving line on it. Since my background is in the (strangely-configured) Porsche 911, I thought I'd get some input here from Evo drivers, since a 4WD line is probably a little different.

Now, obviously there are a lot of different ways to go around Willow. I'm looking for input on a good (safe) DE teaching line. Any thoughts?

Jack Olsen
1972 Porsche 911
270 crank hp, 2700 pounds, ready to race

Last edited by Jack Olsen; Feb 3, 2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

After exiting turn 1 get to the left of the track sooner, then you can turn in much earlier with very little (if any) braking in turn 2, the turn and banking will scrub speed and set you up for the exit. Just go in "too" fast and try to keep in low, you'll end up in the same spot you are in now for the exit, but shave some time off going in... A little trick I learned from one of the fastest humans to ever lap that track. The rest of the lines look great...good luck. Ohh...wait..i just re-read your post..it is safe, but may not be a good thing to teach. Give it a go yourself and let me know what you think.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the early, no-brake line for two is common in the 911 world, but probably not safer for novices. The first time I tried it, I came in too fast and shot right off the outside of the track at the halfway point of 2. It made for some spectacular in-car video, but not a faster laptime.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

On turn 9 becarful! And on turn 4 i brake a little there, but im slow!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Overall the lines looks good. But for the Novice maybe it's better for them to try staying in the middle of the track first. As they gain more experience and bravery then use the whole track. Evos tend to understeer so have them 'wait' until accelerating out of the apex.
I would be careful of turns 8 and 9 that's where all the problems and accidents happen! You probably know that anyways. People tend to cut turn 9 too early because of the safety wall approaching visually. It doesn't help when you exit the turn and then it feels slightly off-camber.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Turn 4, just lift a little..... breathe the car and the back on the gas