Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AutoX question: Is the Vortex Generator legal to run in STU?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AutoX question: Is the Vortex Generator legal to run in STU?

I was thinking about getting one, but I wanted to see what others people's interpretation of the rules are.

From the STS rules:

Addition of spoilers, body kits, rear wings which do not require
removal of standard parts other than the substitution of rear
wings/spoilers and valances/bumper covers. This does not permit
removal of an OE wing which contains the only 3rd brake light on
the rear of the car. The total surface area of all spoilers and rear
wing may not exceed 8 square feet as seen from above. The drilling
of holes for the purpose of mounting these pieces is permitted.
An OE spoiler may not be removed unless the model was available
from the factory without a spoiler.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

For that it sounds like you could have one.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 07:49 PM

It sounds like it is legal but my question is whether or not it will be beneficial on my RS? I would like to get something to increase grip on the rear wheels. I have heard somewhere that the vortex generator was designed to maximize downforce on the evo helicopter blade. I would like to get something smaller. I am afraid that the vortex generators, although very cool in appearance, would raise the downdraft away from the decklid and miss a smaller spoiler. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

the vortex generator moves the flow down along the rear window better. if you had a shorter wing it would increase the airflow over that wing, increasing downforce. however, at autocross speeds, the vortex generator and the wings in the rear are not doing anything beneficial. if your concerned with your autocross results your much better not buying the vortex generator, and spending the money elsewhere.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think it would make you protest bait...

Its benefits are only occuring above autox speeds. The extra weight is not in a beneficial place, in fact its almost in the worst place. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 01:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's stock, doesn't matter.

yes, vortex generator only works in excess of 100mph +.

"An OE spoiler may not be removed unless the model was available
from the factory without a spoiler."

that's not a spoiler but it's offered from the factory. they'll never know.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I am also going to do track days this year, that's why I wanted it. You can't really take it off that easily so I wanted to check first.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8usa
I am also going to do track days this year, that's why I wanted it. You can't really take it off that easily so I wanted to check first.

Thanks,

Bill
I can't imagine anyone in the SCCA or TSSCC caring. You, I, and everbody else around is going to realize that it's not going to give you any tangible advantage. Strictly speaking, the vortex generator _is_ available as a factory option. I would argue that you should even be able to put the it on in A-stock. I don't think that it matters what year tje option was offered so long as the option is offered on your exact model -- in this case, "lancer evolution viii".

d
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

The vortex generator is clearly legal in STU under the body kit allowance.

It is almost certainly technically illegal in Stock. It's a dealer installed accessory, rather than a factory option. Unless you are winning national or divisional level events, I doubt anyone would care enough to protest you.

I don't think that it matters what year tje option was offered so long as the option is offered on your exact model
Not quite true. In Stock and STU, you can only do "option conversions" within a model year. In SP, you have update/backdate which allows mixing parts or options from different model years. However, the rule in SP is not "exact model" -- it's whether the cars are listed on the same line in the rule book. Currently, all USDM Evos are listed on the same line, so if you're in SP, you can mix and match parts from all USDM Evos ('03, '04, or '05). (There are some restrictions -- read the rule book before trying something outlandish...)
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

How about vortex generator w/out wing?

I have an '05 RS, was wondering if the vortex generator will work w/out the rear wing?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

it wont do anything beneficial other then maybe decreasing your drag by a tiny tiny bit. also note that any benefit that it has is going to be negated by a poor install. and when you install one or see one installed you'll see that there is a gap on the leading edge of the VG that needs to be sealed up well. to get it right, tape would prolly work, but so would bondo or other type of permanate fix. (and on the evo 9 you can see they fixed this problem by having the bumps built into the roofline rather then on an added on piece).

i'm not sure why you guys like the vortex generator so much... i mean it costs like what? 200 dollars? i can think of a dozen things that would improve your car for both track and autocross more then that piece of plastic ever will. BUT, if you like the way it looks, then by all means buy one. i know one person who will find it beneficial and he already has one. he also taped the lead edge gap to eliminate the negative effect of it. his name is eddybear on here. he open road races his evo, so when you has sustained speeds of 150+ mph for over 70 miles, then yes, increasing downforce and/or reducing drag is beneficial.