Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Brake Line to Chassis Contact Warning!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2005, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Line to Chassis Contact Warning!

Hey guys...I am posting this in here because I believe it is those of us with lots of camber and coilovers who could run into this problem.

I installed Tein RA's on the EVO. Brake line position on these is same as factory, the brake line bracket and ABS sensor bracket bolt up and are indexed properly. I then had an alignment done. Front is -2.5 deg camber with camber bolt in the -2 degree position (arrow facing outside of car or wheel). The camber plates are almost maxed out in travel, FYI.

So a week later (yesterday) I am having some new tires mounted and I take a peek in the wheelwell. There are some scratches on the chassis from the brake line bracket making contact with the chassis in certain conditions. I believe it was only under certain steering angles and suspension compression where the corners of the bracket get close to the chassis. Also, due to the angle at which the brake line exits the bracket the outer spring/cover was also rubbing on one side. There is no damage to the line, just some undercoating on the spring.

What I have done is bent the bracket in very close (.04" or so) to the strut. I then bent the portion which the line sits in down. The first part helps the bracket clear the chassis. The second part gives the brake line a better exit angle so that is sits parallel with the chassis. I ran the suspension through its travel at different steering angles with the wheel off to confirm that there is no more contact.

Sorry this is long winded, just thought you guys should know about this potential problem. I will try and post pics later today, my camera was dead last night. After bending the brackets and taking several test drives I think the problem is solved.

Anyone else run into this? Is there any alternate brake line routing? Anyone eliminate the OEM mounting bracket in favor of a tie wrap (for extra clearance)?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I ran into that a month ago...
Old Apr 2, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

nils...any insight? Or did you just bend them too? The bracket is still very close under lots of compression and a good bit of steering. The brake lines now clear with lots of room.

I put some aluminized tape behind the bracket on the wheel well so that if there is any new rubbing/contact I will know about it.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, just bent the bracket a little and no problems.

fyi - this was with JIC's...
Old Apr 3, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Even bending the bracket doesn't seem to give me enough room with my JIC's (-2.5* camber). I'm going to route the brake line arounf the front of the strut body.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

John,

Thanks for the warning....I should check mine this week as well.

btw...how you like the Tein RA?

Oscar
Old Apr 8, 2005, 02:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey, does this happen with cars with springs and stock struts? lowering springs...

i've heard about the brake line breaking open due to coilovers...
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:07 AM
Former Vendor

no it clears fine... its prob just new struts all together..well at least teins that i know for sure.. no rubbing on my old struts..i ended up using a big zip tie to fix this prob.. holding good..and passes inspection.. last why are you running so much negative camber.. unless the car is just run on road courses.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Plovikos...I don't see this being an issue with stock struts. I believe it is an issue with the shock geometry combined with lots of negative camber.

I'd really like to see some links to people having issues with coilovers and brake lines failing. I haven't seen anything personally. Most of what I saw was one OEM failure on track and Goodridge lines being too long and rubbing the inside of the wheel, nothing directly related to the coilovers.

dafarmer...I was kind of skeptical about using a zip tie, I don't think it controls the brake line enough. I did drive the car through NYC and autoxed it and had NO more wear/contact. This was a combo of camber reduction and bending the brackets. The extra camber is for autox, tires do ok in street use, 10K to 15K is alot for tires for me, so I don't mind.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

I have ohlins. No wear, no contact what so ever.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

I just have a lancer es.. but I had a similar problem with my SS brake lines too.. I also got one caught on the the inside wheel well and started to split it. what I did ( i am getting new lines) was get some rubber fuel line and put the brake lines in the fuel line where they were rubbing and zip tied it on. I dont know if this would work for you guys but I figured I'd offer some advice. Good luck and happy tuning