Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS in One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS in One Lap of America

3700 Miles, 600 HP, 12 Tracks, 9 States:
Automotosports Tackles One Lap of America
Chicago, IL
April 13th 2005

Chicago automotive tuner Automotosports will enter their 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII in the mid priced sedan class of the 2005 TireRack Cannonball One Lap of America Presented by Car & Driver with Jon Krolewicz as the driver.

Automotosports, one of the countries premier tuners, is based out of Chicago and has the quickest full weight Mitsubishi "Evo VIII." Prior to now AMS has been drag race only, and their Evo has run a 10.53 second quarter mile at 137 mph.

“It's going to be a blast to drive for AMS, and I am excited about driving for them in One Lap of America,” Krolewicz said. “We got off to a great start by breaking the SCCA Street Modified track record at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in testing, and I really think we are just going to get faster.”

Exedy Clutches, Bridgestone Tires, StopTech Brakes and friends of Automotosports have stepped up to help this effort have the most potential for class and overall honors.

"I appreciate everything (the sponsors have done) and I promise a car that will be built and tuned to the best of my ability," said Martin Musial, engineer and owner of the AMS Evo. "The rest is up to Jon."

The all wheel drive Evolution VIII is Mitsubishi's road going version of their World Rally Championship car. In showroom trim the Evo VIII has a 271 horsepower two liter engine. The highly modified AMS Evo puts out over 600 horsepower from its 2.3 liter engine, and will handle it through Buddy Club coilovers and Bridgestone Potenza RE050 285/30/18 tires.

One Lap of America is an annual event in which competitors drive street vehicles from track to track where they compete in time trial competitions. This year's One Lap will take eight days, and competitors will drive 3700 miles through 16 states with stops in nine. Competitors will get points for finishing positions in 20 competitions on nine different road courses, a skidpad, a drag strip and an oval.

Jon’s dad Ray Krolewicz, and AMS owner Martin will share the driving duties on the road. Close to 100 other teams will compete for honors in eight classes in the Event that runs April 30th through May 7th.

You can find more information and see updates at these sites.
www.automotosports.com
www.onelapofamerica.com
www.racerjon.com
www.evolutionm.net

Last edited by racerjon1; Apr 13, 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats Jon, best of luck.

And yes, I am always online......
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am so excited about this event it sickens me. Go get em Jon.

Eric
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

That is awesome news! Good luck guys!!

l8r)
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

JonK is the man. No doubt in my mind who will be taking the win at One Lap. No we have the best of driver and car.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

From what I have read about One Lap, the key to winning is having lots of spare parts around

Good luck!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitet777
From what I have read about One Lap, the key to winning is having lots of spare parts around

Good luck!
Even bigger key is knowing the tracks.

l8r)
Old Apr 13, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Go AMS!

is the VISHNU team doing it again?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think they are, I think they are focusing on something else. But, don't hold me to that, I am not sure.

And the most important part of One Lap is..........to have fun!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I hope that we dont need many parts, the "competition" is about 62 laps at speed, with 17 launches for sure, and maybe another 7 launches if you run all the way through the bracket drags..

so:
8 Skidpad Laps
24 Launches (at most)
62 Roadcourse Laps
3700 Street miles

I think that the AMS car can handle it. But its also one of the reasons why I wanted to make sure Martin was on the team, he can rebuild the car with his eyes closed, and knows the little tricks to helping it along the way.

We will also be bringing spares.

Vishnu isn't entering a factory team, which is too bad, I really wanted to go head to head, it would have been some really fun friendly (but serious) rivalry to generate some attention on Evos and their tuners.

As of now it doesn't look like there are any Evos, it will jsut be us against the 5 or so STi's

As far as knowing the tracks, I have been on 4 of the 9 totally, and another two of them partially. (VIR north and south) So Summit Point, Nelson Ledges and New Hampshire are the only ones i dont know. However.. I am an autocrosser, give me a course walk and its done.

I actually think its a bigger deal to know the car than the tracks. Knowing your braking distances, how the car acts on the edge.

Either way, I am really looking forward to it.. now to get finish classes, find a final test day, get through exams.. its going to be a tough 3 weeks.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com

Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

great news!

show'em what the evo can do.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

gooood Luck Jon!!!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I hope that we dont need many parts, the "competition" is about 62 laps at speed, with 17 launches for sure, and maybe another 7 launches if you run all the way through the bracket drags..

so:
8 Skidpad Laps
24 Launches (at most)
62 Roadcourse Laps
3700 Street miles

I think that the AMS car can handle it. But its also one of the reasons why I wanted to make sure Martin was on the team, he can rebuild the car with his eyes closed, and knows the little tricks to helping it along the way.

We will also be bringing spares.

Vishnu isn't entering a factory team, which is too bad, I really wanted to go head to head, it would have been some really fun friendly (but serious) rivalry to generate some attention on Evos and their tuners.

As of now it doesn't look like there are any Evos, it will jsut be us against the 5 or so STi's

As far as knowing the tracks, I have been on 4 of the 9 totally, and another two of them partially. (VIR north and south) So Summit Point, Nelson Ledges and New Hampshire are the only ones i dont know. However.. I am an autocrosser, give me a course walk and its done.

I actually think its a bigger deal to know the car than the tracks. Knowing your braking distances, how the car acts on the edge.

Either way, I am really looking forward to it.. now to get finish classes, find a final test day, get through exams.. its going to be a tough 3 weeks.
Jon K
www.seat-time.com

Good luck John (and Martin) pm me if you want to chat

I still I hope I can con Shiv into another "Lap"

Quick Reply: AMS in One Lap of America