Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Best coilover for track and autoX?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry guys as I have been too busy updating our site with the new line of suspension. As of now, I have the parts listed on my site and at the susp sale forum. Please check.

If you are looking for coilover that is strictly for track/autrocross only, I would recommend a set of Zeal Super Function R, Ten super racing circuit master, Ohlin, or Motul.

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back with a few new questions:

If I use Tein Flex coilovers, what are ideal the spring rates? What does the EVO like? The Tein Flex comes w/ 560lbs/in front and back. Is that a good setup? Will the car plow with that much spring up front? Would I want to purchase different springs from ground control?

My goal is to have a car that is nuetral, turns on a dime and can be throttle steered.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 01:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Tein Flex is a twin tube design which in turn tend to overheat when use in harsh track condition. In addition, I do not recommend you to change the spring rate on them as it needs to be revalved for higher spring rate.

If you think your car is plowing, I would recommend you to get a bigger sway bar in the back in order to help the back rotate around and vise versa. Also, higher rear spring rate will def help. Please keep in mind that every car is setup differently and its extremely difficult to achieve the results that you are looking for without carefully setting up the car. I have recommended our Zeal setup with a 24mm or 25mm sway bar from my personal track experience. It worked well for me therefore I would think it will work great for the others.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Flex system on my Evo, and I love them. They offer a nice compromise between stock and wild. They allow you flexibility in setup, without compromising much (if any) ride quality. The Tein components also seem to be holding up quite well. They are a great intermediate solution for someone who wants to play at the track with his 300hp Evo on street tires. They are not going to hold more than 350whp on R compounds, or what Gruppe said is dead on for heat.

As for the spring rates, I am ordering a 12k spring for the rear (replacing the 10k/560lb) to help with the rotation. I contacted Tein, and the valves will support up to +2k without revavling, however after that, you are on your own.

But, Gruppe-S is dead on, I do have an upgraded rear sway (23MM I think), and it gives the car a nice neutral to loose feeling in the corners, even with the 10k springs all around.

If I were buying C/O's new, I probably wouldn't get the Flex, however, I got mine used from a drag racer, who wanted something different, and paid right at 1k for them, in the box. So, even with the upgraded springs and swaybar, I will have less than what I would have paid for a new set of Flexs one year ago, and the car is great at the track.

I am going to get it corner weighted with the new rear springs, and take it back to Road Atlanta in two weeks. I hope to get down to the 1:44's on street tires, which would be a 'decent' time.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

GS & S&TF - thanks for the info.

For the next couple of years I will primarily be doing autocross with this car. I won't be increaing the power any more and probably won't got to an R compound class unless SCCA kills the STU class.

At this point I'm leaning toward giving the Tien flex's a shot. They are comparatively inexpensive, they offer a fair amount of adjustability (separate rebound & compression would be nice) and it looks like I might be able to accomplish my goal using them (#1 in DFW STU class). If not I'll yank them, sell them on e-bay and try again.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

I have talked to Scott Grey a couple times and He has tried out about 4 Different suspension setups on the one of the RRE evo's and he said for 75% driveablility and 25% track the Buddy clubs are a very good comprimise, If your looking for a little bit more track, then its pretty much up +3000 in suspension right there.

Like everyone else said, there is alot of good suspensions out there
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Give me a call if you are set on the Tein Flex and I will get you a good deal on them. However, I would advise you to think carefully since you seem like you are going to get involve in alot of track time. The reason is being, I always advise my customers to spend their money wisely and get it right the first time so they won't have to resell their old parts and get something better later.

There are many great susp out there such as Cusco Zero 2r, HKS Hipermax II, Tein RA, Zeal, etc. All of these setups have an inverted front strut design and more suitable for track use.

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300