Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS in Car & Driver Race Series

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS in Car & Driver Race Series

Chicago, IL
June 10, 2005

The AMS Lancer Evolution VIII, which finished seventh overall in One Lap of America last month, will be making its second dip into road race competition this weekend in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The competition is the Car & Driver Race Series, and will actually be two seperate competitions, one on each day of the weekend. Competitors will get points based off of an Autocross, a 100 yard drag run, and a skidpad lateral G run.

"I am really excited about being back behind the wheel of the AMS Evo," said Jon Krolewicz, the driver. "I want to continue to show that we are building a good package for both going straight and turning at AMS."

The Car & Driver Race Series consists of stops in 17 cities, and is run by Precision Racing Organization. You can see more information at www.precisionracing.org

This weekends event at Miller Park willbe shown on Car & Driver TV on the Spike Channel July 2nd and 3rd at 12am eastern.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Jon,

Sounds cool, what class are you guys planning to run in?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

The car is pretty solid Open Touring.

Update:
We ran the first of two competitions today, and we won, but there was no one in class. I was hoping for a FTD of some sort, which didnt end up working out for a variety of reasons.

The nice comfortable push the car had on One Lap on street tires became a horrible push when we added the extra grip of race tires, totally changed the balance of the car, which isn't to be unexpected, just more teething problems.

2nd issuse was we were running the tall drag race gears, giving me a 58mph 1st gear. Good news is no shofting on this course.. bad news, I cant launch the thing wirth a damn.. boys and girls this drag racing stuff is harder than it looks.

Skidpad, we ran an 8.27 second lap on a 100 foot skidpad, which comes out to .89g (compared to a .96g on the 200 foot skidpad on One Lap) We were on R compounds this time, so I dont exactly know what happened, the highest G was .98g by an MR Spyder on R compounds...

The 100 yard drag came up and yours truly just botched it, bad bogged first run, 5.8 seconds, 2nd run nailed the launch, ran a 4.6 second 100 yard.. pushed the clutch in, braked, looked down and the speedometer was falling through 80mph..

Too bad I redlighted.

3rd run, botched the launch again.. 5.4 (I am getting a better understanding.. modulate wiht the clutch and not the throttle.. maybe i should have the pedals reversed.)

Heyward Wagner, 2000 Pro Solo H-Stock Champion took the car out for 3 runs after and said "this car does some things very right and its not far off, but its the hardest car to autocross I have ever driven" (of course.. he had a grin on his face that wrapped around the back of his head.)

We go at it again tomorrow, and we are going to bring the video camera so I hope we can get some videos posted up.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Old Jun 12, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

And??????
Old Jun 12, 2005, 05:53 PM
dwx

Hey Tim. Colin killed everyone on the autocross portion on Saturday. He ran a 67.3? I believe and the next fastest time was Bob Clark (who was in my class) driving his old BMW on Hoosiers with like a 72.1. I ran a 73.x in my car with the STI struts, Hankook RS-2s and no real alignment. I was fairly pleased with the run, Dave Bruener only ran slightly faster in the 73s. I believe the AMS EVO was in the 73.x range as well.

I had a 8.246? on the skidpad using the Hankook RS-2s. Colin had a 8.00 and Bill Crawford had a 7.8 somethng in his Spyder, both on Hoosiers. Bruener ran a 8.248 I think, I just edged him. I beat Bob just barely, he had a lot of trouble keeping the front inside wheel on the ground.

In the acceleration test I beat Bob by a ton, which is no surprise, and won GT3. I ran a 5.3xx every time. Bruener ran a 5.002 in his STI (intake and catback exhaust) and had the fastest time, since the AMS car redlit the one 4.6 run.

Those were the results. As for the event itself, lots of teethng pains for the autocross portion. It took around 3+ hours for 3 runs on the autocross course with 50 cars. They also could have been running some cars on the skidpad while other cars ran the autocross, to help speed things up. The cost is the biggest issue. At $99 it's easily twice as much as it really should be. For $99 I expected a free t-shirt, free lunch maybe? or at least something to drink. Nothing. None of the classes had 5 entries either, so no one got their entry fee back for winning.

The scoring system for overall points accumulation is also poor. You get bonus points based on how many cars you beat in your class, but only if you win that particular event... So you potentially win based not on how fast you are, but how much fodder is in your class. The points also carry onto the national championship, so if someone in another town has 30 GT3 entries and I had 4, I would go into the championship at a potential 78 point deficit. Anyways, I can't say I would recommend it unless you knew there are going to be 5 people in your class.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Phil for the feedback. I'm kind of glad I didn't go.

If the organization (PRO) is the same one that does a lot of Chicago area events, I can see why they charged so much. They pay their workers well. They offered a weekend job to me for some decent coin several times when they came to this area.

Congrats to Colin.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:36 AM

coo.