Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Driving Shoes: Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving Shoes: Suggestions

Looking for a new pair of driving shoes. I have Simpsons now but they are shrinking or my feet are growing because by the end of a session I am ready to take them off due to them constricting my feet. I have been looking at OMP, Puma Speed Cats and Alpine Stars but have no where close to try them on. Just wondering what some of you are wearing and whether or not you like the feel.

Thanks for the feedback.

jeff
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my piloti's but regular DC skate shoes work well too....

http://piloti.com/products/touring.aspx

n
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

i'm interested in knowing too

Swordfish - Do you usually have to order a bigger size for race shoes or is your simpson shoe the same size as your other regular shoes. Also where did you purchase the simpson from...thanks
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at the Pilotis but they seem too thick. I was looking at some Pumas or Sparco. Just look for shoes with an extra leather piece on the right shoe on the outside for heel-toe work, and make sure there is nothing to get caught under your gas pedal. If you don't do any heel-toe work, most any thin-soled shoe should would work. I can heel-toe fine in my adidas shell toes although they are fairly worn and rounded on the outside. New ones might not work as well.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

I used to have really thin shoes, which I imagine would be great for sprint races etc.... but for long weekend track days the piloti's are my over-all favorites so far.

n
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:32 PM

Take a look at Oakley race shoes / boots.

http://oakley.com/o/c500t
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I like my Piloti's quite a bit, but I also use Adidas Samba's (indoor soccer shoes) on occasion.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have Alpine Stars. I tried Simpson, but didn't like the fit. The local kart track had the Alpine Stars and I tried them and they fit a lot better. Of course, that probably means that if the Simpson shoe fits you well, then the Alpine Stars probably won't. But then again, you did say that the Simpsons don't fit you so well anymore...

JW
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I love the look and feel of the Pumas (all except the Ferarri symbol). I'd buy myself a pair of Pumas if they didn't have the Ferarri symbol on them.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
i'm interested in knowing too

Swordfish - Do you usually have to order a bigger size for race shoes or is your simpson shoe the same size as your other regular shoes. Also where did you purchase the simpson from...thanks
The simpsons are the same size as my normal workout/running shoe.

JWTodd: Do the Alpine Stars seem wider or more narrow than your previous Simpsons?

jeff
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:39 PM

I have big, wide feet so finding ANY shoes that fit reasonably well is something of a challenge. I had Mueller at RRE bring by brake pedal a little closer to the gas pedal to better facilitate heel/toe shifting so I race with shoe's that tend to be, if anything, a tad snug.

Don't get shoes that are loose thinking that they will be more comfortabe. You want things to be "snug" and well fitting down near the pedals if you're planning doing any "fancy footwork", read left foot braking and heel/toe shifting.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I been wearing nike free's and they help give you much better pedal feedback but YMMV
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slider
I have big, wide feet so finding ANY shoes that fit reasonably well is something of a challenge. I had Mueller at RRE bring by brake pedal a little closer to the gas pedal to better facilitate heel/toe shifting so I race with shoe's that tend to be, if anything, a tad snug.

Don't get shoes that are loose thinking that they will be more comfortabe. You want things to be "snug" and well fitting down near the pedals if you're planning doing any "fancy footwork", read left foot braking and heel/toe shifting.
I would agree. I have size 12 feet, but found my wife's Adidas Samba indoor soccer shoes, size 9, to work very well with excellent feel. I just can't walk very far in them.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Alpinestars all the way!!!

Percy
Old Jul 17, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingnut17
I love the look and feel of the Pumas (all except the Ferarri symbol). I'd buy myself a pair of Pumas if they didn't have the Ferarri symbol on them.

Not all of them do. Go to PUMA.com.....they have an awsome selection. I love my speed cats and they just came out with a "next gen" style. They also have "rally style" shoes.

Quick Reply: Driving Shoes: Suggestions