Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Maintenance Requirements for Tracked EVOs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, change the gearbox oil frequently. The only real problem I have had with all the track days I have put on my EVO is that 3rd gear is going. I sometimes get a grind on downshifts into 3rd gear or have trouble finding the 3rd gear gate. I guess the sycnro is shot and the gear is getting damaged. New gear oil helps. Use the really expensive racing gear oil, which is like $16 a quart and you need 3 quarts.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SF-VIII-RS
I just finished speaking with local Mitsu dealer, and he recommended changing transmission and diff fluid on a tracked car every other race weekend.

That's a bit excessive. Most people do once a season.

Percy
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
One more thing. Be sure to tie down your dip stick with 2 nylon zip ties. EVO dip sticks have a nasty habit of popping out under the load forces encountered on the track, and the result is a real mess.
If the dip stick pops out it usually means increased crank case pressures which means that some horsepower could potentially be gained by installing an additional crank case breather.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

I'am at my office right now and i need to do transfer case, diff's, and transmission this weekend. Does the owners manuel tell you what fluid's to get and how much to put in for each?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Yes, change the gearbox oil frequently. The only real problem I have had with all the track days I have put on my EVO is that 3rd gear is going. I sometimes get a grind on downshifts into 3rd gear or have trouble finding the 3rd gear gate. I guess the sycnro is shot and the gear is getting damaged. New gear oil helps. Use the really expensive racing gear oil, which is like $16 a quart and you need 3 quarts.
Richard,
I noticed this exact same problem while at CMP last weekend. Downshifting into 3rd from 5th gave me grind after grind. My transmission had never done anything like it in the past. After a few laps of that I started to either do a 5-4-3 shift or just waited until corner exit to engage the gear.

I'm curious if you found a solution to your problem.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Something we had happen at the NASA time trial this weekend with the AMS cars.
(Martin's street car on OEM brakes, and the Time Attack car on the Stoptech Big Brake kit.)

The external passage crossover tube fittings came loose on both cars. We had been very **** about changing fluid, bleeding between sessions etc, but I am not sure if we had put a wrench on those fittings. Martin's car had 8 track days on it at that point, and the Time Attack care a good deal more considering One Lap of America.

I didn't have any experience with this until now, as the Formula cars and such I had worked on have internal fluid passages.

I talked to some circle track friends of mine who run a similar Brembo setup with the external passage, and they know to make it part of the regular routine. The difference in expansion rates from the brass to the metal are what makes it a weak point, and the bleeder valves don't usually get the chance to come loose, as they are continously tightened with regular bleed intervals.

When you do that brake bleed before the weekend, I would just put a wrench on it and some light pressure (you don't want to keep cranking on it and overtighten it) to make sure that they are not coming loose.

Jon K
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.I recently learned the importance of checking fluid hoses. For that matter gauges too.
Roasted my head when a small slit on the underside of a coolant hose bleed all the coolant out during a lapping session. Thinking about and feeling my suspension adjustments but not watching my gauges.
All I can figure is an inadvertent rub or chafe with a tool or something by somebody led to a failure.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hagakure
That's a bit excessive. Most people do once a season.

Percy

yeah...

n
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Very very good info. Thanks for contributing guys.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

End of Year 2008 bump.

Besides all the fluids mentioned, what else do track ****** do maintenance wise?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nothere
.I recently learned the importance of checking fluid hoses. For that matter gauges too.
Roasted my head when a small slit on the underside of a coolant hose bleed all the coolant out during a lapping session.

All I can figure is an inadvertent rub or chafe with a tool or something by somebody led to a failure.
Was it the turbo coolant hose?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

good info!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Was it the turbo coolant hose?
yes, but it was on a 2003.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nothere
Just wondering because the small "L" shaped turbo hose fails by itself at ~ 30K mi. Good idea for others to change it out. Don't know if the hose was improved after '03.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get alignments twice a race year that stuff shifts so much its a good idea

Quick Reply: Maintenance Requirements for Tracked EVOs