Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Driver killed at Lime Rock Park with EMRA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard from someone that was there that he did not have a HANS. He claimed that the wreck was not too bad.

Not sure if this is true or not. Third hand info...

Moral of the story - buy one less mod and get a HANS or similar!!!!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 06:26 PM

So horrible. Does anyone know if he was wearing a Hans?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 05:09 PM

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2069695.phtml

Here is a link that has some additional info about the event.

I currently do not have a cage in my Evo, but after reading things like this I think I will no have one installed.

My prayers go out to their family.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOQUICK
There was a porsche driver that died about 2 months ago at Watkins Glen.
That was with Audi club.
I can not find a link.
It was NOT an Audi event. Thankfully, the BMW CCA and Audi Clubs have never had a fatality at any of their events. The Watkins Glen fatality you're referring to occurred at a Riesentoter Region PCA event.

Personally, I have been criticized on this forum for voicing my opinion that most PCA chapters seem to have lower safety standards than other similar organizations. It's WAY too easy to get signed off. In this case, the driver of the Boxster S was in the Green group (i.e., total beginners) but was signed off to solo for the last session of the last day. This is a BIG problem for a variety of reasons I don't want to get into again.

The bottom line is that the popularity of track days is exploding. There are HUGE differences in ability levels, attitudes, and knowledge among the students. At the same time, cars are getting faster and faster...consquently demanding more and more skill from the driver.

When the BMW CCA started driving schools in the 1960's, people were driving 100hp 2002tii's on skinny 185mm tires mounted to tiny 13" wheels. And they would go for several seasons of 1-to-1 instruction before anyone would ever dream of signing them off to solo. Nowadays, people are showing up with 300+hp Corvettes, STi's, Evo's, etc. and are getting signed off after 1 or 2 schools. There is a SERIOUS problem here!

If event organizers don't do something about it soon, this sport we love so much will disappear.

Emre
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BTW, I should mention that the above post refers specifically to the Watkins Glen tradgedy. From what I understand, the driver of the Radical that was killed at LRP during the EMRA time trials was a very experienced track junkie. So, obviously, what I wrote above does not apply to that case.

Emre