Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

17x9 + 275/40 V710s how to fit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17x9 + 275/40 V710s how to fit?

I picked up some 17x9's FN01R-C's (+35) and with the 275 710's, there's no way they'll fit with the stock suspension. The fronts rub the lower spring perch aggressively (don't think spacers would even help) and the rears rub the lower trailing arm.

Andy and John both thought they'd fit and the guy who sold me the wheels thought the same. I was told that 3mm spacers in the front and a rear fender roll would be all I needed...not quite the case. Now, I do have the front camber bolts turned in, but even pulling those out most likely won't get me enough clearance.

So my question is...what the heck is it going to take? I'm guessing coilovers (only specific models, or spring perch heights?) and camber plates are going to be required.

I sure thought that John was running that exact wheel/tire combo on his car, but is there anyone else? I'd prefer to have some hard knowledge aside from speculation, but I'll take info on anyone's setup, including some of the STU guys.

Preferably wheel/tires size, what parts, and what spacers/rolling/flaring were required to get things to fit.

I'm going to go search the SM thread and see what I can pull from that.

Thanks everyone,

Brian Peters
(CSP Miata driver)

Last edited by Eunos; Oct 6, 2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

who are john and andy?

Anyway, i do know there there a couple people running that 275 set up but i think everyone is on coilovers. Also John@RRE and Robi should be able to answer your questions rather easily.

Did you find anything searching?

Sorry can't be much help
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

you kind of need the coilovers.

I run the buddy club P1 QF rims 17x9 +35mm and I have to run a 3mm spacer in front for wheel caliper clearance, but it helps for tire clearance as well. Friends of mine also run the same setup as you, and runs a 3mm spacer in front for clearance only.

We are both running on coilovers.

You will need to roll the rear fenders, and I am thinking of running a 5mm spacer in front for extra clearance so that hopefully I don't wearout the inner fender wells any further than I have (it's rubs on full lock )

It might be possible to use the stock struts, but you will have to use the minimum factory camber setting and camber plates to make it work (if it can be done at all)

As for the rubbing on the rear trailing arm, it only happens under severe tire deflection (at least for me anyway) and I am not too worried about it. As long as you can turn the wheel freely when it's off the ground then I wouldn't worry.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by KZEVO
who are john and andy?

Did you find anything searching?

Sorry can't be much help

Sorry for that, I assume everyone in here autocrosses.

John Tak and Andy Lieber, ESP 2nd and 1st place finishers (I had talked to them back at nationals).

Going back through the SM thread basically confirmed what Chris is saying, coilovers are pretty much a requirement. Even then, Navid and others found that 8" springs got the perch up out of the way better than 10's on the Ohlins. Now, they're running wider 285/18's on 9.5-10" wheels, but still, clearance is obviously tight.

Chris, the rear tires were rubbing statically with the trailing arm when I tried test-fitting. Perhaps this is only an issue at full droop?

Well crummy. I was hoping to be able to just have some fun with the local SM crowd without spending much money...guess that's out the window. So what are coilovers going to cost me? I know the hardcore national guys are running the big bling JIC and Ohlins. Those would NOT be good for my marraige.

Looks like I have some research to do.

Thanks everybody.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Im running the exact same wheel/offset/tire combo and it fits.........just barely. I had to run a 7" front spring and the GC upper mounts to lower the car as much as I needed to, and roll the rear fender in order to clear tire. Check your rear toe in when it comes to rubbing the trailing arm, id say run 0 and you wont have any issues, and for the front..... I have no idea how Navid was able to get away with an 8" spring, but maybe his car is higher than I remember. Anyways, if you have any more questions, you can PM me, I pretty much have researched the hell out of getting those huge bastards to fit, and luckily it works for me with 0 rubbing all around, even the front inner fender liner!

Regards,
Max Cudich
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:20 PM

Hey Brian,

The rear should be no issue following the fender roll. The only place it should be close is on the rear trailing arm as mentioned but you should still have about 1/4" clearance to it at static. If not, it's worth checking the toe/camber. When the tire and suspension deflects, there will be some evidence of tire rub on the arm but not a big deal.

The front is the bigger question. As mentioned, we never tried it with the stock struts so you are breaking new ground there to clear the stock perch. BTW, I agree with Max, I would not recommend the 8" spring Navid ran, that's not where our car was. But then, we broke new ground thru testing and development in several key suspension areas for the Evo. The 275s are tight but they can fit, afterall, we got the 285s to fit, just need to have all the measurements nailed. Feel free to PM me if you can't make any progress on the front since I'm not on here very often.

John.....
78 ESP
Showcase Mitsubishi
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:03 PM

I run 8" springs in front because I probably run stiffer springs than others. I even run 6" springs with the Motons since I run even stiffer springs with those shocks. Spring rates are another entirely different subject that I'm sure everybody would have an opinion on, but I thought you would want to know how I get away with runing short springs.--Navid
Old Oct 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

I just bought the 710's (275/40-17) and also have the exact same rim (17x9 FN01R-C).
I have the Tein Flex coilovers on my MR.
I'm going to try putting only the fronts on first and running a short auto-x course with this
staggered set-up. I'll be leaving my AO32R's (255/40-17) on the rear.

Is this a bad idea? I'm trying to deal with a little understeer problem.
I just don't want to roll my rear fenders.
Couldn't I just adjust the coilover height and run a spacer?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel a bit stupid now, but I think I know why I was getting such different results from everybody. Despite being told the wheels were 35mm offset, it looks like they're 43. How the previous owner ran them on his Evo is beyond me, unless he just ran huge spacers. Let this be a reminder to everyone to verify parts thoroughly before purchasing. :P

So yeah, looks like I'll be putting these up forsale and will most likely pick up some coilovers before trying the 275's again.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

As much as I know about cars I always fudge this up. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The 43mm offest is actually pushing the wheel further outboard? Therefor a 35mm offest with a 3mm spacer would put you 5mm more inboard than your current wheels. Doesn't sound like that is what you need.

Also, the offest should be cast into the inside of the wheel, probably on a spoke saying "ET 35".

Also, here in the "Stock Class Auto-X thread" this gentlman fit his the same tire.

This is post #123 found on page 9.

Originally Posted by jwtodd60
Here are a couple of pics showing the rubbing I am getting with the Kumho V710 in 275/40-17. This is on a 17x8 wheel with +33 offset. These pictures reflect about 40 runs worth of rubbing. YMMV...

JW

Last edited by ratt_finkel; Oct 7, 2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy 255/40. it will be perfect
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:01 AM

Nope...othe rway around. A 43mm offset will push the wheel further inward. A lower offset will push the wheel 'outboard'.

I just got 17x9.5s to fit w/a 25mm offset. I didn't think the rears would ever fit when I first put 'em on, but they did after a couple sessions with a fender roller. The fronts amazingly fit without ANY fittiment issues whatsoever. I'm running 255s, though. Getting 275s to fit is going to be tricky. Anyone know of bolt on rear flares for the Evo?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Antemortem
I just got 17x9.5s to fit w/a 25mm offset.
What wheel?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Antemortem
Nope...othe rway around. A 43mm offset will push the wheel further inward. A lower offset will push the wheel 'outboard'.

I just got 17x9.5s to fit w/a 25mm offset. I didn't think the rears would ever fit when I first put 'em on, but they did after a couple sessions with a fender roller. The fronts amazingly fit without ANY fittiment issues whatsoever. I'm running 255s, though. Getting 275s to fit is going to be tricky. Anyone know of bolt on rear flares for the Evo?
Ok, that would make sense then.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
What wheel?
Hey morgan > you, What's up?

Any ideas on my above post?