Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shocks For Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRT R-compound longevity on an AS Evo, I have had widely varying results depending on the tire in question. The first DOT-R tire I used on the Evo was the Kuhmo Ecsta V700 (235/40-17), reasonably fast, but I corded the outside shoulders fairly quickly (at around 25 runs IIRC). Then I went to Hoosier A3S04s (245/40-17). I ran them for a season (~40 runs) without cording them (but at much higher pressures than the V700s and with a bigger front bar), but then corded them during a school this spring (~20 runs, after flipping them), getting cord on both the inside and outside shoulders. Then this season, I ran Kuhmo V710s in 275/40-17. After 100+ runs (a season plus a couple of schools), there is no sign of cord and I never even flipped them. I do think they've gone off though, as I was having a hard time keeping pace at the end of the season. I have also run Toyo RA1s on the car as my daily tire/rain tire/school tire without ever cording them. I did junk those once they became unstreetable though...

JW
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The kumho 710's will defintely be the best option for any camber limited car. They have a rounded shoulder and if you run a larger size like jwtodd60, the sidewall is pinched enough to make the shoulder even rounder to help aid the lack of camber.

Honestly though, I'm all about underdogs and I don't think the Evo has any chance at winning AS. Bottom of the trophies? Maybe, but it will be hard.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boder
Doesn't this say that threaded struts could be used as long as the lower perch is set to the same height relative to the stock unit?

Section 13.5 Shosk Absorbers
of the 2005 rules:
3. Adjustable spring perches are allowed, but the spring loadbearing
surface must be in the same location relative to the
shock mounting points as on the standard part. Shims may be
used to achieve compliance.

A guy in my region silconed his perches in place to show his competitors that the ride height has not changed. He's been to Topeka the last two years in an S2K. No protests.
Hm, looks as if I was misinformed. I had made that same argument to a local SCCA guru (Threaded bodies fixed at stock height), and I was told that it was a nono. I don't have a copy of the rule book either, and it looks like I missed that. Thanks for the kick in the face

Devin
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've heard Hoosiers A3SO4's and A3SO3s (dont know about the new A3SO5s) don't last as long as the Kumho V710s? Any truth to this ... also I think for auto-x the regular EVO suspension will be better than the MR suspension. The MR suspension (shocks) has less feedback and gives a floatier feel. I know for sure that EVOs with the stock suspension would be faster than EVOs with the MR suspension during a slalom but during the rest of the course an EVO with the MR suspension might be faster, just because I have yet to see an MR with the rear tire lifted off the ground during hard cornering ... which happens a lot with regular EVOs ... On the national level ST- classes don't allow R-compound tires correct?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwtodd60
WRT R-compound longevity on an AS Evo, I have had widely varying results depending on the tire in question. The first DOT-R tire I used on the Evo was the Kuhmo Ecsta V700 (235/40-17), reasonably fast, but I corded the outside shoulders fairly quickly (at around 25 runs IIRC). Then I went to Hoosier A3S04s (245/40-17). I ran them for a season (~40 runs) without cording them (but at much higher pressures than the V700s and with a bigger front bar), but then corded them during a school this spring (~20 runs, after flipping them), getting cord on both the inside and outside shoulders. Then this season, I ran Kuhmo V710s in 275/40-17. After 100+ runs (a season plus a couple of schools), there is no sign of cord and I never even flipped them. I do think they've gone off though, as I was having a hard time keeping pace at the end of the season. I have also run Toyo RA1s on the car as my daily tire/rain tire/school tire without ever cording them. I did junk those once they became unstreetable though...

JW
About time you chimed in. If anyone is devoted to make the the Evo competitive in A-Stock, JW is. A-Stock in 06' again?

Dave
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I've heard Hoosiers A3SO4's and A3SO3s (dont know about the new A3SO5s) don't last as long as the Kumho V710s? Any truth to this ... also I think for auto-x the regular EVO suspension will be better than the MR suspension. The MR suspension (shocks) has less feedback and gives a floatier feel. I know for sure that EVOs with the stock suspension would be faster than EVOs with the MR suspension during a slalom but during the rest of the course an EVO with the MR suspension might be faster, just because I have yet to see an MR with the rear tire lifted off the ground during hard cornering ... which happens a lot with regular EVOs ... On the national level ST- classes don't allow R-compound tires correct?
Yes, all hoosiers are known for their lack of longevity. I highly doubt you'll run into an AS303's since they've been out of production for 2 years.

STU allows tires with a tread wear rating greater than 140. So no R-comps.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I know for sure that EVOs with the stock suspension would be faster than EVOs with the MR suspension during a slalom but during the rest of the course an EVO with the MR suspension might be faster, just because I have yet to see an MR with the rear tire lifted off the ground during hard cornering ... which happens a lot with regular EVOs ...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

This is the tire on it's way BACK to the ground. Spectators comment that I get on 3 wheels all the time.

Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silencer
About time you chimed in. If anyone is devoted to make the the Evo competitive in A-Stock, JW is. A-Stock in 06' again?

Dave
Yep. I am toying with the idea of getting a IX RS to further the cause, but will probably at least start the season with the 03.

Still need to put a better driver behind the wheel though, which ever way I go...

JW
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Looking for reccomendations here:

Since stock springs would have to be maintained, which strut assembly (<2500$) would be best? Not worried about comfort in the least.

Devin
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwtodd60
Yep. I am toying with the idea of getting a IX RS to further the cause, but will probably at least start the season with the 03.

Still need to put a better driver behind the wheel though, which ever way I go...

JW
When you pick up the IX, you should try to make it out to the Toledo Tour or Pro. I'll be running my 03' in STU until the X arrives.

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, I finally remembered some info that may help you in your quest for better shocks:
PM FarNorthRacingon this forum, he has a lot of info on the MR Bilstein shocks and I believe modifies them to Bilstein Nextel Cup Shocks, mind you this is not cheap...

Read through this thread and you'll know what I mean:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&page=2&pp=15

I belive he was working with this company
http://www.accuratetechnologies.com/

Afterall we are in a quest to make the EVO dominate in all classes!!!
Haha and thanks for the pics!!! I guess that shut me up
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silencer
I'll be running my 03' in STU until the X arrives.
Got any wheel/tire recommendations? I searched and didn't find much, and started a thread yesterday but only got one reply.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sk8bored
http://www.roadracechassis.com/
Talk to john he will anwser all off you questions and set you up right.

I second this. No better suspension for the Evo, and you will save a bunch of $$ over the Vishnu tuned or Works tuned set-ups. Just my 2 cents.

Percy
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
Got any wheel/tire recommendations? I searched and didn't find much, and started a thread yesterday but only got one reply.
Off topic: I run 18x9.5 Racing Hart's with Falken Azenis RT-615 245/40/18's. Most of the Field at Nationals ran the Falken's. One other wheel/ tire combo I would recommend is 17x9.5 with the new Advan Neova AD07's. Both with 35mm backspace.

Dave

Quick Reply: Shocks For Autocross