Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shocks For Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Ok, I finally remembered some info that may help you in your quest for better shocks:
PM FarNorthRacingon this forum, he has a lot of info on the MR Bilstein shocks and I believe modifies them to Bilstein Nextel Cup Shocks, mind you this is not cheap...

Read through this thread and you'll know what I mean:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&page=2&pp=15

I belive he was working with this company
http://www.accuratetechnologies.com/

Afterall we are in a quest to make the EVO dominate in all classes!!!
Haha and thanks for the pics!!! I guess that shut me up
Dennis Grant is his name and is well versed in suspension geometry. He ran an Eagle Talon for years including a few championships. I believe it is up for sale this year. ATI specializes in suspension modeling, prep, shock dynoing, etc., and even dabs in custom parts. Dennis is one of several people at ATI who run autocross seriously. Bob Kasprzyk and Rick Myers run a well prep'd Z06 in SM2.

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo Evo
Looking for reccomendations here:

Since stock springs would have to be maintained, which strut assembly (<2500$) would be best? Not worried about comfort in the least.

Devin
You may want to give ATI a call, see what they recommend. Dennis may suggest some revalved single adjustable Bilstiens that won't kill your wallet. Just be prepared, cause he'll flood your head with a lot of information. He can talk the sh_t!

Possibly try Koni and see what they have for ideas.

Jump on the sccaforums and start a thread. A lot of info there.

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silencer
Dennis Grant is his name and is well versed in suspension geometry. He ran an Eagle Talon for years including a few championships. I believe it is up for sale this year. ATI specializes in suspension modeling, prep, shock dynoing, etc., and even dabs in custom parts. Dennis is one of several people at ATI who run autocross seriously. Bob Kasprzyk and Rick Myers run a well prep'd Z06 in SM2.
Unfortunately, he hasn't posted here recently, and http://www.accuratetechnologies.com/ doesn't seem to have anything to do with suspensions. Upgrading the Bilsteins does sound appealing.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

The MR lifts the rear tire, too. Even with a 26mm front swaybar. I'll be looking into shocks, too, for AS. STU sounds appealing, but I don't want to spend all that money and get beat by a "stock" car on R's. I'll be watching what AD has to offer.

At nationals, I only had a catback and K&N. The sway bar arrived about 2 weeks late. Tires were 245-45-17 V710's.

18th in the rain, on V710's at nationals
19th over all. (got my a$$ handed to me in the dry)
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I'll be running a prepped AS 03' Evo, and i too am thinking about a IX RS for nationals next year. People still running re-valved Koni's?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
Unfortunately, he hasn't posted here recently, and http://www.accuratetechnologies.com/ doesn't seem to have anything to do with suspensions. Upgrading the Bilsteins does sound appealing.
The performance part of ATI's website must be down. ATI was an official sponsor of SCCA's Central Division this past year. You should see their tractor and multi-car rig they bring to events, HUGE!

Dave
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by MREvo_KC
The MR lifts the rear tire, too. Even with a 26mm front swaybar. I'll be looking into shocks, too, for AS. STU sounds appealing, but I don't want to spend all that money and get beat by a "stock" car on R's. I'll be watching what AD has to offer.

At nationals, I only had a catback and K&N. The sway bar arrived about 2 weeks late. Tires were 245-45-17 V710's.

18th in the rain, on V710's at nationals
19th over all. (got my a$$ handed to me in the dry)
Ahhh, you were the lone Evo. At least you beat the lone STI . What "all that money" are your talking about? You could buy a set of coilovers for the same price as a set of competitive A-stock prepared shocks. Add the coil-overs, full exhaust, and some type of piggyback a/f and timing hardware and you have a car that could compete in STU. If you look at the top 10 cars that competed at Nationals, you will see they were within 1 second of each other over a 2 day event. That is some close racing. I ran with a well prepared suspesion, but only with a stock motor (exhaust only). I finished 9th overall, .895 out of first (5th fastest on day 2). I was 60-70 whp down in power. The fastest driver on day 1 actually finished behind me in 10th overall. Next year my car will be 150lbs lighter with 280-300 whp. I'll be ready then!

Dave
Old Oct 27, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhh, you were the lone Evo. At least you beat the lone STI . What "all that money" are your talking about? You could buy a set of coilovers for the same price as a set of competitive A-stock prepared shocks. Add the coil-overs, full exhaust, and some type of piggyback a/f and timing hardware and you have a car that could compete in STU. If you look at the top 10 cars that competed at Nationals, you will see they were within 1 second of each other over a 2 day event. That is some close racing. I ran with a well prepared suspesion, but only with a stock motor (exhaust only). I finished 9th overall, .895 out of first (5th fastest on day 2). I was 60-70 whp down in power. The fastest driver on day 1 actually finished behind me in 10th overall. Next year my car will be 150lbs lighter with 280-300 whp. I'll be ready then!

Dave
Dave, not to make you feel any better. But my good friend Paul who took 9th (iirc), is on nothing more than springs. The class as a whole is going to get a LOT faster next year.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Dave, not to make you feel any better. But my good friend Paul who took 9th (iirc), is on nothing more than springs. The class as a whole is going to get a LOT faster next year.
Do you mean Paul M.? He placed 7th with his STI (front lsd ). Nice job!. And yes I agree, as a whole, it will get faster. As soon as it becomes a National class and attract a few top drivers, it will get even faster. But the point of it is, is that with a handful of mods, the Evo is a prime canidate to place well within the trophy spots vs spending an equal amount competing in A-stock and getting your butt handed to you.

FWIW, the North course (day one) was more of a hp course with long sweepers after the initial slolom. It was the first time I ran on new shaved Falkens (non-heat cycled). All year I played with tire pressures on Kumho MX's not thinking the Falkens would be too much different. Big mistake! I developed a severe push right off the trailer and did not realize it was all tire pressures until day 2. After talking with Rick (the other STU Evo), I dropped them 10-12 lbs and wella, no more understeer. Had I known this prior to Nat's, I certainly would have placed much higher on day 1 resulting in a better overall finish (dare I say top 5). Kicking my a_s ever since. Next year will be a different story, stronger car, better driver.

Dave
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Yup Paul Maygar, I'm not sure why I thought he was in 9th. Anyway, I think the evo can and will win STU. I have no doubts about it. That is why I'll be giving it a try next year.

And also agree that it would take just about a miracle or mark daddio to win AS, let alone trophy in the class.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:08 AM

Brandon begged me not to go STU, so...

I've been in FSP/DSP since '95. I'm going to enjoy stock for now. Will I win? No, but I will enjoy driving my car. My goal is to be the top AWD car. Successful in 2005, who's up for a fun filled battle in 2006?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

As soon as it becomes a National class and attract a few top drivers, it will get even faster. But the point of it is, is that with a handful of mods, the Evo is a prime canidate to place well within the trophy spots vs spending an equal amount competing in A-stock and getting your butt handed to you.
And with better drivers and more cars will come more expense.. custom valved shocks, lots of playing with spring rates, tires, etc..

Not saying it isn't a good class, (looking at maybe finding a car to run there myself unless I can just take the AMS Evo to FP) But expense will come, and other than tire life, it will be more expensive than stock.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
www.racerjon.com
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have the experience you guys have auto-xing and I have never been to a national event but I have done a lot of reading and have 1 years experience ...
My goal will be to win the local level AS ...