Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Small Video of BMWCCA NHIS Track Day feat. WRX & Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emre-

Which groups run events like that in the NE? I am an experienced HPDE guy, but always RWD inthe past, so the season ended when the snow fell.

Percy-

Good point, although one would hope the competitive spirit is in check at the beginner level, which these guys obviously are. It's never to soon for the "red mist" or ego to come into play though.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trackstar
Which groups run events like that in the NE? I am an experienced HPDE guy, but always RWD inthe past, so the season ended when the snow fell.
Just about all BMW CCA events are run this way. The idea is to teach people how to be quicker, safer, and more aware. Our philosophy is that timing generally defeats the purpose. People get hung up on improving their lap times rather than driving smoother, more consistently, and safer.

I think lap times are very valuable...but only once a student is able to run consistently. Up to that point, it's more of a distraction than anything else. If your laps aren't already down to within one second of each other, then there's too much variability for the lap times to be a meaningful learning tool.

If you want to race, then do Solo 1 (time trials) or take the race school and enjoy the BMW CCA Club Race series. As far as we're concerned, HPDE, Solo 1, and Club Racing are all different and should not share the same track at the same time.

Emre
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

If you're in CT, you should check out the BMW CCA--Boston Chapter and BMW CCA--NJ Chapter. These guys run the "best" events I've ever seen. But I'm a "safety first" kind of guy...not a "let me prove how macho I am by running faster than everyone else" kind of guy. So I naturally feel more comfortable with the BMW CCA approach. Lime Rock Park should be pretty close to you, and Pocono, NHIS, Summit Point, and even Watkins Glen and Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant aren't too far away.

I've found that the PCA chapters in the Northeast (especially NER) to run their HPDE's as nothing more than glorified open lapping days. There's a tremendous pressure on us instructors to sign everyone off. I would avoid these types of events unless you're already pretty advanced and don't care too much about insurance coverage.

Another great club in the northeast is the NEQ chapter of the Audi club (ACNA). We're going to do some joint events with them this summer. Again, this is a club that makes a distinction bewteen educatonal events and lapping events. There's a time and a place for both.

Emre
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hagakure
So everyone does not take the light hearted let's just go out and have fun approach to driving in the upper groups at these events.
With the BMW CCA, we also run open lapping days, Solo 1 and 2, as well as formal Club Racing. So, if people want to compete (against the clock or others) they have plenty of opportunity to do so.

The point of the school is not just "light hearted go out and have fun." The point of the school is that you're there to learn. And learning doesn't necessarily mean running as fast as you possibly can. Most of the guys I see timing themselves are doing it primarily so they can beat their chests over a beer at the end of the day. That's not helping them get faster. If they're not already running within a second, then what's the gain from timing?

If you want to run as hard as you can and see who's fastest, that's what open lapping days and club racing is for. Leave the schools for learning.

Emre
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry, I phrased the question wrong...I meant who runs events in the winter (frozen lakes, etc), not who runs HPDEs without timing laps.

I'm a former BMWCCA WNY member (had an E36 M3), and I've also run with PDA, NASA, SCDA, and a few others...been to WGI, LRP, NHIS, Mosport, Shannonville...I was kicking around running the One Lap this year for the hell of it but I ran out of funds. 2006 was rumored to be mostly West Coast, so maybe I will give it a shot in 2007 if it comes east again.

Last edited by trackstar; Nov 26, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry, I phrased the question wrong...I meant who runs events in the winter (frozen lakes, etc), not who runs HPDEs without timing laps.
There are three clubs that come to mind. The BMW CCA--Boston Chapter runs an "ice racing" series on a frozen lake in southern New Hampshire. Despite the name, it's not really ice racing in the traditional sense...it's basically an auto-x run on ice. You need studded tires to get the most out of it as you're literally runnung on a sheet of ice (not snow).

The BMW Club of Quebec is planning to run a winter driving school or two at the Mecaglisse Quebec facility near St-Donat. They have over 6 km of snow-covered track. Here are a few pics of the winter circuits:

Another great choice would be the Motorsports Club of Ottawa (MCO). They host a winter driving school at the Transport Canada facility just outside of Ottawa. The MCO also runs a competitive time trials series during the winter.

Emre
Old Nov 26, 2005, 04:22 PM

Talking

Emre-

Percy-

Good point, although one would hope the competitive spirit is in check at the beginner level, which these guys obviously are. It's never to soon for the "red mist" or ego to come into play though.
rather than just saying "beginner level, which these guys obviously are", why don't you come and visit us on the track next spring We'll be at COM, WMC BMW-CCA and Boston BMW-CCA events, as well as possibly some SCDA and NEQ audi events.

Last edited by eclip5e; Nov 26, 2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 04:31 PM

Just a note, there is no footage of the fastest team car on the track. Mostly because he thinks that BMW events cost too god damned much.

:P
Old Nov 26, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Emre-

Percy-

All of the groups I run with NCRC and NASA norcal especially, are VERY good about keeping things in check in all of the groups, especially the lower ones.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
With the BMW CCA, we also run open lapping days, Solo 1 and 2, as well as formal Club Racing. So, if people want to compete (against the clock or others) they have plenty of opportunity to do so.

The point of the school is not just "light hearted go out and have fun." The point of the school is that you're there to learn. And learning doesn't necessarily mean running as fast as you possibly can. Most of the guys I see timing themselves are doing it primarily so they can beat their chests over a beer at the end of the day. That's not helping them get faster. If they're not already running within a second, then what's the gain from timing?

If you want to run as hard as you can and see who's fastest, that's what open lapping days and club racing is for. Leave the schools for learning.

Emre
I agree. If it's a "school" that's exactly what should happen.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by eclip5e
rather than just saying "beginner level, which these guys obviously are", why don't you come and visit us on the track next spring We'll be at COM, WMC BMW-CCA and Boston BMW-CCA events, as well as possibly some SCDA and NEQ audi events.

What are you calling me out? Don't take offense, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure I'll be at some events next season, just have to figure out what I'll be wheelin'.

Just for ***** n giggles, here's a lap of Watkins Glen from back in May in my 300ZX, with some cheesy music editing thrown in.

WGI hot lap

Last edited by trackstar; Nov 26, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
There are three clubs that come to mind. The BMW CCA--Boston Chapter runs an "ice racing" series
That looks seriously awesome. I need to try this out!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:26 PM
KC
Evolving Member

Winter driving school: http://www.teamoneil.com <-- EXCELLENT program for winter safety school (among others)

Winter ice racing is at Newfound Lake in NH, weather & schedule permitting.... put on by the BMW Club (Just north of Bristol NH which is about 40 mi N of Concord) and from what I understand this year will be run by the Trunkmonkey Racing crew.

They have a fun course... but they also have a 'practice' course setup.

Then there's the CARTCT events in Bristol CT in the snow... again... Auto-x in the snow. (http://www.cartct.com)

NER SCCA (http://www.ner.org) also puts on wintertime Rally-xes across New England that are pretty fair to a street suspensioned car due to frozen ground. (Last year I attended 2.. one at Stafford Springs Raceway in CT and Pooh Corner in Bethel ME)

Tsurara - I'm the guy that auto-xes the Green RX8 at Devens with decals all over it.... there's plenty going on in the winter here in New England.. and many good people to help you get the most out of it.

--kC

Last edited by KC; Nov 30, 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KC
Winter driving school: http://www.teamoneil.com <-- EXCELLENT program for winter safety school (among others)

Winter ice racing is at Newfound Lake in NH, weather & schedule permitting.... put on by the BMW Club (Just north of Bristol NH which is about 40 mi N of Concord) and from what I understand this year will be run by the Trunkmonkey Racing crew.

They have a fun course... but they also have a 'practice' course setup.

Then there's the CARTCT events in Bristol CT in the snow... again... Auto-x in the snow. (http://www.cartct.com)

NER SCCA (http://www.ner.org) also puts on wintertime Rally-xes across New England that are pretty fair to a street suspensioned car due to frozen ground. (Last year I attended 2.. one at Stafford Springs Raceway in CT and Pooh Corner in Bethel ME)

Tsurara - I'm the guy that auto-xes the Green RX8 at Devens with decals all over it.... there's plenty going on in the winter here in New England.. and many good people to help you get the most out of it.

--kC
Hi Keith,

We have met before, actually, both at NHIS and at Devens a few times, not to mention NEDSM I'm definitely going to check these events out, the thought of an off-season is killing me!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Hi Keith,

We have met before, actually, both at NHIS and at Devens a few times, not to mention NEDSM I'm definitely going to check these events out, the thought of an off-season is killing me!
Its been just over a week since your last event. I've been playing Gt4, and thats helped. I might have to remove the snow plow (GReddy lip) and come out and play.