Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Loosing power on trackdays

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cait sith
Unless you removed a spring doing a modification as said to "reduce flutter" or whatever everyone seems to think is so good for Greddy Type S's, leave it alone and crank it down further. The Type S isn't affected by heat.

100 octane isn't enough, IMO for turbocharged cars. Unless, you're trying to save a catalytic converter. I run 112 leaded. It kills O2 sensors like no tomorrow when you're driving hard, but personally, I'd rather replace O2 sensors than rings/pistons/engines.

The factory gauge is too heavily weighted to really get anything decent out of it. Unless you're logging, have an aftermarket that little Mitsu gauge will stay in the middle until you're completely boiling over/hitting air pockets in the coolant/etc.

Have you modified the thermostat at all? I run three small holes in a 180°F/90°C thermostat. If you're too scared to mod the thermostat, go buy a lower temp thermostat. They're too expensive for me for what I can do with a power drill and something from AutoZone.

Oil temps really love to rise up quite high when you're running extended road course. EVO's have the benefit of vented hoods, a more upright/open fascia, and an oil cooler that comes stock. If you're really worried, get some aftermarket temp gauges.
with the warm temps in florida, i'm runnin 70/30 with some wetter. I too was concerned with water temps, as the stock mitsu gauge doesn't really give you anything.

i went with a defi-d gauge, and at my last event it'd open at 180 or so, and never got above 190, i was actually surprized, after hearing some of the stories of everything getting hot, need a bigger radiator, fmic blocks the air, etc, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Bringing another thread back from the dead...

Figured this was good to bump up in relation to summer tracktime. Here in the midwest the temps are pushing > 90; and I'll be out this weekend.

Along with lower boost setting and some higher octane gas, what are some other reccomendations to combat the heat and keep the ride safe? I listed a few I've read and a few I had ?'s about. I personally put the vent to hot whenever I'm on the track; dunno if it helps though.

- Run lower boost
- Run a few gals high octane
- Upgrade FMIC
- Utilize warm-up/cool-down lap
- Install Brake Air Ducting
- Let car idle after run with hood up?
- Run heater to vent hot air on track?
- Upgrade Radiator?
- Thermal coat exhaust?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
What about pushing the little water spray button on the console to spray the intercooler?
That would help lower the intake temps (that's what it's for). Put it on automatic mode.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

run shorter sessions. if nothing else, take a lap in the middle to cool things down a bit. It's preferable to put around the paddock at 20 mph to parking it in your pit area with a fan running. However, when i do pull in, i crank the fan on the oil cooler and the corner of the radiator.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Running shorter sessions is the key. Our turbo cars generate a lot of heat since we run so much boost.

Also if you can, datalog some track sessions to monitor knock counts. I've made my tune more conservative to keep my knock counts down during hot weather conditions.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you bypass the intake throttle body coolant line?

I found that helps tremendously.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

boomn29

Are you doing the track day on the 2nd with AMS? I'll bring my laptop and we can log a few laps. I don't think cooking yourself is the answer though.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
boomn29

Are you doing the track day on the 2nd with AMS? I'll bring my laptop and we can log a few laps. I don't think cooking yourself is the answer though.
I'd like to, but I don't think I can make July 2nd.

I am running this weekend @ HPT, but I've never logged anything before and don't know how. Also, it's a DE, so I'd probably have to hide something like a laptop if I had it ya know.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:55 PM
mot
Evolved Member

weird the OP of this thread and i were talking today about this on the track
and its very strange that it got bumped
i had this issue today in 90 degreee weather with a bigger fmic
so i went and put 4 gal of 110 in with 8 gal of 93
never felt it again