Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shedding the weight... CF trunk & hood

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not at all.. didnt feel a difference with the butt dyno

n
Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

only there for our good o'l NTSB crash requirements
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

didn't feel a thing. Actaully handling should improve because of removing the end weights. just 4 bolts are hold each bars. and you will see the rust where it contacts the body. I would remove it for that reason only
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
didn't feel a thing. Actaully handling should improve because of removing the end weights. just 4 bolts are hold each bars. and you will see the rust where it contacts the body. I would remove it for that reason only
Removing the crash beams is the stupidest place to ever attempt to lighten an Evo. If you run your car into anything, you are risking major damage to mission critical expensive components at even slow(5-10mph) impact speeds, and God help you if you get run into or hit anything significant. We have never removed the bumper beams from any of our street, track day or competition cars because the risk is not worth it in my opinion.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

For the trunk, did you take the lock out of your stock trunk so that your ignition key would still open the CF trunk? If so, how hard was it to remove the lock?

What wave is the CF? 1x1? 2x2? Same as spoiler?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by john@rre
Removing the crash beams is the stupidest place to ever attempt to lighten an Evo. If you run your car into anything, you are risking major damage to mission critical expensive components at even slow(5-10mph) impact speeds, and God help you if you get run into or hit anything significant. We have never removed the bumper beams from any of our street, track day or competition cars because the risk is not worth it in my opinion.
If the crash beam is that critical, why do Evo's in any country but the US get sold without them? It seems to me they are mainly meant to achieve compliance with US bumper regulations (something like car may not be damaged in impacts below 5 mph). I agree you take the risk of more expensive damage from a fender bender, but I don't think it is a safety concern.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
If the crash beam is that critical, why do Evo's in any country but the US get sold without them? It seems to me they are mainly meant to achieve compliance with US bumper regulations (something like car may not be damaged in impacts below 5 mph). I agree you take the risk of more expensive damage from a fender bender, but I don't think it is a safety concern.
They are an energy absorbing device, which will help absorb impact forces in a high g impact event.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=Mueller
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't look like the crash bar made much of a difference

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
Doesn't look like the crash bar made much of a difference
The driver walked away, as the crash beams absorbed energy while the car flipped end over end violently 6 times starting at 110mph. The less structure to absorb energy, the more energy gets transfered directly to the driver. In this shop, we believe the drivers survivability is more important than removing 20 pounds off of each end of the car. A bumper beam will twist and bend, dissapating force as it bends, much more than a motor block, transmission case or end of the frame horn of the frame rail which is sitting out in space after you remove the bumper beam. The worst for you nuts without bumper beams would be an impact into a solid object on the end of the driver's side frame rail, as the crash energy will be transfered immediately to where you are sitting.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, take it from 'crash engineer' John here....

n
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:31 PM

I like it alot ......Thats what I want.....
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Oh...you mean like this? High speed, no front crash beam.

http://ntexasevos.org/img/tmp/tmp.htm

Originally Posted by john@rre
<snip>...The worst for you nuts without bumper beams would be an impact into a solid object on the end of the driver's side frame rail, as the crash energy will be transfered immediately to where you are sitting.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
dang that is one messed up car.... and it crashed into a tree in teh middle of where? those are some nice wheels tho... only slightly bent
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ez
Oh...you mean like this? High speed, no front crash beam.

http://ntexasevos.org/img/tmp/tmp.htm
Exactly, not having the frame rails tied together by the crash beam does not allow crash energy to be transfered into both frame rails, with certain chaotic results in a big impact.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The idea is to not hit the tree!

Quick Reply: Shedding the weight... CF trunk & hood