Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

To all the #48 haters!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont really follow nascar but why does everyone hate Jimmy Johnson. I'm curious.

jeff
Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't mean to suggest that all of the NASCAR drivers are from the South...just about 45 of them or so....and yeah it's not as easy as it looks but neither is learning how to ride a bicycle.......and NASCAR drivers did race in the ROC on several occasions...but that was just a nice gesture(and they wanted American drivers=NASCAR drivers nowadays).....and if those NASCAR drivers are so good(some are pretty good) why don't they try open wheel racing like an F1 series or even CART(not IRL...that's another suicide sport)...

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Has anyone here ever driven a stock car?
It's not as easy as you might think.

And for who ever said it is dominated by drivers from the south:
Jimmie Johnson: El Cajon, Ca
Matt Kenseth: Wisconsin
Tony Stewart: Indiana
Jeff Gordon: Vallejo, CA
Ryan Newman: Indiana
Greg Biffle: Washington
Kurt and Kyle Busch: Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, Lots of guys from the "South".

You guys kill me. Nascar is gay. Lets look at the open wheel guys who have tried to race stock cars and see how they have done.

Paul Tracy: Has run Cart for I don't know how long and won in just about everything he has run. No success in Nascar.

Scott Pruett: Won cart races, no luck in Nascar.

Micheal Jourdain: Mexican hero driver won in Cart, Wrecks every time he gets in a Stock car.

John Andretti: Doesn't count he pretty sucked in everything.

Dave Blaney: Bad *** sprint car driver, no real success in Nascar.

Robby Gordon: Did well in Off road trucks, OK in Cart, Moments of brilliance usually followed by amazing case of the dumb*ss.

Boris Said: Amazing driver, runs well in stock cars at road courses, NG on ovals.

Ron Fellows: Just sticks to RC and does well.

The only one I can think of that has done well is Tony Stewart.

Lets not forget that the first year of the race of champions Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Collin Edwards just happened to win the thing against Marcus Gronholm and a lot of the other series best.

I agree that there is way too much coverage but, don't play down that most of these guys are still awesome drivers who race hard even if it is predominately in a circle.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Maybe they don't try other series because with the exception of F1, Nascar is where the money is. I can't imagine too many people saying " I hope to some day barely scrape by, making a living in the drift scene. Just so guys on the internet will think I'm a real driver." No, I personally will take the several large houses, a couple of Ferrari's, a model for a girlfriend, and my own jet. Tell me I'm ghey for choosing that.

I was at the trading paint thing with Jeff Gordon when he drove Montoya's Williams and in 10 laps Jeff was within .2 of Montoya's times. The Williams guys said no one has ever gotten that close that quickly, No one. That's closer than the Minardi's get and closer than the Toyotas usually get. So, I guess Ralf Schumacher isn't a good driver either by that rational.

Yeah, the race of Champions was rigged. That's why the American drivers got virtually no instruction on the operation of the car or practice time. By, the way your probably fighting a loosing battle here. Since I've worked in Cart and currently do happen to work in the "ghey" sport called Nascar. I've seen just about all forms of major motorsport enough to know they are all equally lame anymore and mostly just a business.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by swordfish
I dont really follow nascar but why does everyone hate Jimmy Johnson. I'm curious.

jeff
I think it goes back to the "hating the one who wins" type of thing. Like the Yankees, or The Cowboys, Schumacher, or Dale Earnhardt when he was winning a lot of races.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

who cares...never, ever watched a second of that.

How do you announce a nascar race anyways?

Bill: See how #12 turns here, Wow!
Jim: yes bill, i think he may turn left up here again as well, just after he slows down a bit.
Bill: I've never seen anyone turn left so good. how does he do it?
Jim: He must have the reflexes of a cat. Unbelievable!!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
2006 Daytona 500 Winner "JOE REDNECK".......
"GET'R DONE BIT*HES"

Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Lots of contempt prior to investigation. Do you realize how stupid you sound when you say that NASCAR sucks yet you admit you've never watched it? Hilarious!

As far as all the general NASCAR hating comments go I guarantee that you havent watched a live race or you wouldnt be hating. Probably the biggest thing NASCAR has is that it is MUCH more competitive than the other motorsports series. I mean the difference between 1st and 20th is just a few seconds across a 500 mile race. F1, CART, IRL, all very boring.. no fenders, no rubbing, and worst of all NO FANS. Name 10 current open wheel drivers without using a search engine - Thats why open wheel racing is dead.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 19, 2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

i watched the last 8 laps, as i was listening to the radio and the dude kept chiming in with the specs on the race.

i can't sit and watch it all afternoon, but when i flip it on, i'm stuck there til the next commercial, i'm the same way with movies too though.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

yes, i've attended nascar races(live) but driving around in circles just is'nt my cup of tea. WRC is where the action is!!!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

WRC is fun to watch but you only get highlights.. and that sucks! That and I never know when its on. NASCAR is easy.. its on a network channel on Sunday afternoon or maybe Saturday almost every week for a whole season. When's the next WRC race? What channel/network? What time (hopefully not 4am)?

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 19, 2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not fond of NASCAR races simply because it is so freaking predictable. Race starts, cars mash in to each other, cars drive under caution. Caution clears, race starts again, cars mash in to each other. Dale Earnhart turns right mashes in to wall. wash rinse repeat.

There is a lot of strategy and team work in NASCAR. But then again, there is a lot of it in all sports. All it is now is another way to sell stupid lazy people more mouth wash, big macs and SUVs. I stick by my earlier statement: NASCAR is preferable to prison gang rape.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hotrod I hear ya and respect Nascar racers. I agree thats were the moneys at but come on Nascar pretty much eliminates the variables of diving a car and focuses on the singular aspects of the entry and exit of four corners. Now its great that its at such high speed but these guys are focused on minute differences of entry and exit and the pit strategy mainly keeping the car consistant throughout the race. Its the farthest thing from the motorsport enthusiast and the spirit that encompasses it. They arent even anything that you can get, they arent stock cars and with the exception of *some* motor aspects there isnt much trickle down. Frankly I have no idea why its so popular except for the Pro Wrestling line of production and the major demographic they target. I really wish the people would support the production based circuits as we would all benefit. In a perfect world the guys doing ALMS, GT and the other production type road racing would be the heroes- they are to me and their unappreciated work has direct impact and benefits to all of us.

As far as all the general NASCAR hating comments go I guarantee that you havent watched a live race or you wouldnt be hating.
I have 4 times- Im from Texas. The festivities are good the atmosphere is sweetly debaucherous but it invokes the wrong kinda feeling. Like a hockey game, wrestling, or UFC fight not the worlds of admiration, study, inquisition, and intricacies into the spirit of motorsports and the love of performance like even a regional track day provoke.

Last edited by David@Vishnu; Feb 19, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

hmm by that logic all sport's suck. Guy hits ball and runs in circle while other team tries to catch ball. Guys line up and hit each other and throw or run ball trying to get to other side of field. 2 people hit ball back and forth across net. Bunch of dumbasses hit little ball around acres of grass trying to get into 18 little holes.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:36 PM

I'd put every dollar I own that not one person on this board could drive a nextel cup car at 190mph three wide with less then 6 inces on all sides of another car. The damn things are hardly on the ground. People aways hate on the people who get rich doing something they think is so simple but couldn't do themselves. If anyone has ever been to a race, it's not for broke hoosiers, tickets are hundreds of dollars and everything else is 10x more expensive then your local sporting event. And they still seat hundreds of thousands on benches withont seat backs. It's genious. If it were so easy to make 4 lefts everybody would be doing it.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David@Vishnu
Hotrod I hear ya and respect Nascar racers. I agree thats were the moneys at but come on Nascar pretty much eliminates the variables of diving a car and focuses on the singular aspects of the entry and exit of four corners. Now its great that its at such high speed but these guys are focused on minute differences of entry and exit and the pit strategy mainly keeping the car consistant throughout the race. Its the farthest thing from the motorsport enthusiast and the spirit that encompasses it. They arent even anything that you can get, they arent stock cars and with the exception of *some* motor aspects there isnt much trickle down. Frankly I have no idea why its so popular except for the Pro Wrestling line of production and the major demographic they target. I really wish the people would support the production based circuits as we would all benefit. In a perfect world the guys doing ALMS, GT and the other production type road racing would be the heroes- they are to me and their unappreciated work has direct impact and benefits to all of us.

NASCAR drivers have pesonality and its been exploited. I think your statement concerning variables really over simplifies the dynamics of stock car racing. Winning races in NASCAR is more about driver skill where other motorsports are more about the car manufacturer.

Quick Reply: To all the #48 haters!!