Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Do Canard Spoilers work for Auto X?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Canard Spoilers work for Auto X?

Do canard spoilers provide any noticeable benefit for autocrossing? Is one style/manufacturers' better than another? Would a splitter help over the MR's "zero lift kit"?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

With speeds averaging in the 35mph range in autocrossing, I am going to go with a big "no" for the canards... I also doubt the front chin lip style would work also.. Just not enough air at those speeds to make it work.

JOn
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the Canard's go, at what speed do they start to provide a noticeable effect? 100+ or more like 60+? I'm not asking for hard tech here, just some user's experience and opinions.

Plus I kinda like the way the canards look (some of them) and if I only attend 1+ HPDE a year and they provide a benefit, then I'm going to get them. But if is only for the hardcore competitive racer or the poser, then I'll pass. I was hoping that they might help a tiny bit for the faster auto x setups, but I guess not.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

They did a good job of picking up cones though.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by kevo
I definitely don't need any help with that!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kevo
Are you sure it's the canards?????
Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to say. As much as I like them. They increase the size of the bumper in exactly the wrong spot. And the few times you will be at 60+ they will probably provide little if any benefit.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by racerjon1
With speeds averaging in the 35mph range in autocrossing, I am going to go with a big "no" for the canards... I also doubt the front chin lip style would work also.. Just not enough air at those speeds to make it work.

JOn
+1
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I do not know how much they help or at what speeds, I have only driven one car with them on (LMP 900) and we didn't take them off so I have nothing to compare.

I know that the pro teams change them around a bit, and depending on the track take them on or off.

For autocross I hadn't even thought of the hitting cones part.. but judging by where the cone marks were on Daddio's car and such.. I wouldn't be adding anything to that spot.

For a road course, I would put my effort into a chin lip extending under the engine, and a diffuser to help clean up that air underneath.

Jon K
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I do not know how much they help or at what speeds, I have only driven one car with them on (LMP 900) and we didn't take them off so I have nothing to compare.

I know that the pro teams change them around a bit, and depending on the track take them on or off.

For autocross I hadn't even thought of the hitting cones part.. but judging by where the cone marks were on Daddio's car and such.. I wouldn't be adding anything to that spot.

For a road course, I would put my effort into a chin lip extending under the engine, and a diffuser to help clean up that air underneath.

Jon K
Jon,

Do you know of any companies that have developed a proven (wind tunnel or track testing) aero package for the EVO. I am talking front splitter, cannards, full undertray, proper side skirts, and rear diffuser? I know there are some safety concerns about losing control if you lose aero, but for a track only car I am very interested in developing a setup for the '07 season. All my R&D and part money is already allocated for '06

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know of anything complete.. I am very interested to see how the APR kit helps (front splitter, canards, diffuser)

I know chronohunter posted some pictures of a splitter he had made for him that looked really good.

For a diffuser I ran with the vishnu one on One Lap last year, but without trying it on the car back to back with the same package, and though I am sure it was helping to some extent I couldn't say "how much"

I keep looking for a stock evo to bolt aero bits to and try at a track like roebing road which is a high-speed track with two 100mph+ flat-out corners in a stock evo. By comparing stability of a stock car while cornering on the floor, I could give a pretty good indication of how much each bit is helping.

For full kits, I am sure there are some out there, just not being mass produced because the market is limited.

Jon
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

I came across what looks to be a decent set of aero parts from Voltex / Original Rundce here: http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...p?category=114 Looking at the design and what the Original Runduce Evo did at the Tsukuba Time attack, these look to be pretty good.

l8r)
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of anything complete.. I am very interested to see how the APR kit helps (front splitter, canards, diffuser)

I know chronohunter posted some pictures of a splitter he had made for him that looked really good.

For a diffuser I ran with the vishnu one on One Lap last year, but without trying it on the car back to back with the same package, and though I am sure it was helping to some extent I couldn't say "how much"

I keep looking for a stock evo to bolt aero bits to and try at a track like roebing road which is a high-speed track with two 100mph+ flat-out corners in a stock evo. By comparing stability of a stock car while cornering on the floor, I could give a pretty good indication of how much each bit is helping.

For full kits, I am sure there are some out there, just not being mass produced because the market is limited.

Jon
i'm gonna bump this with an idea that was presented to me this last weekend, that i'd never thought of.

Using the canards mounted just in front of the front wheels as a big enough air blocker (what size, i have no clue), but by sticking them there, you'd create negative air directly behind the piece.... and you'd have a negative zone. That negative zone would be right at the brakes/rotors.

It was presented to me not as a downforce item, but a brake cooling item, and the concept seems to be at least partially valid.

I'd like your take on something like that.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly don't have the experience with aero/brake cooling like that to know, i can see where it may make sense though, but also might have a lot to do with each car they are going on.

The APR widebody kit has them for it, but they are not on the AMS Evo, but it is something I will pay attention to when/if we put them on. So far, we have been working with ducting to get air to the brakes.

I have someone to ask though, a friend of mine hangs bodies for Joe Gibbs Racing, and he knows about offsetting noses and such on those cars that start creating some weird aero sideload and such (cars that go loose because of a sudden change in aero sideload when entering a corner at speed for instance) He spends time in the wind tunnel with them, and if changes to that area help with braking performance, I would be he knows.

Jon K
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
i'm gonna bump this with an idea that was presented to me this last weekend, that i'd never thought of.

Using the canards mounted just in front of the front wheels as a big enough air blocker (what size, i have no clue), but by sticking them there, you'd create negative air directly behind the piece.... and you'd have a negative zone. That negative zone would be right at the brakes/rotors.

It was presented to me not as a downforce item, but a brake cooling item, and the concept seems to be at least partially valid.

I'd like your take on something like that.

There's some info here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=210358

If I boil the Motul 600 through the new Ti pad shims next weekend at Mid Ohio like I did the ATE last month, I'll be trying this for sure.

Quick Reply: Do Canard Spoilers work for Auto X?