Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
. . . Here's a pic of Joel's "stompy" w/315s ready for the Walnut Ridge Tour this weekend:
http://www.8400rpm.com/autox/031906/stompy2.jpg . . .
That is just crazy. I've only seen CP mustangs run tires like that . . . granted, I've never been to a National event before.

I can't imagine how that would work on an EVO. At the "proper" ride height the rear tires tuck up inside the fenders a good inch or so on some of the ones I've seen. So to go with a tire/wheel combo that sticks out that far you would either have raise the ride height 2-3 inches or cut away a good portion of the fenders . . . hmmm something to think about for the future. Too bad my $$ is already spent for the year.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
That is just crazy. I've only seen CP mustangs run tires like that . . . granted, I've never been to a National event before.

I can't imagine how that would work on an EVO. At the "proper" ride height the rear tires tuck up inside the fenders a good inch or so on some of the ones I've seen. So to go with a tire/wheel combo that sticks out that far you would either have raise the ride height 2-3 inches or cut away a good portion of the fenders . . . hmmm something to think about for the future. Too bad my $$ is already spent for the year.

EVOlutionary
Yeah it looks like the Evos and STi are starting to look like real SP cars Joel F. had to re-cut the fenders to fit the 315s. I would think the taller tire helps a STi, but an Evo might not see the same gains.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of Stompy, did you notice the front camber on that car? Whoa!

The Evo certainly has come a long way since I won the first ProSolo trophy ever in an Evo two years ago (Atlanta 2004). I certainly feel that I've missed the boat... My car is basically in the exact same configuration which I was running at the end of 2004, except for my 285/18x10 tire/wheel package. (I'm also woefully out of practice as a driver.)

The estimate of $20K plus the cost of the car is not at all excessive or out-of-line for a BSP Evo. I've got about $12K total into my car, which is basically a BSP Evo with cams, and I've pretty much gone with strictly off-the-shelf components, no custom work at all. I've only had a single dyno tune (with two maps, street and race gas). I'm also running the stock clutch (yeah, it has held up through 60+ ProSolo launches). I figure that $20K would be a reasonable budget to build an Evo capable of winning Nationals -- although if you're running against guys like Tunnell and Uyeda, you'll have to bring considerable driving talent as well, and maybe hope for rain.

James, we should talk at one of the SD events. You're welcome to drive my car and let me know what you think, although like I said, it's not up to current prep levels, certainly not up to the level of Navid's SM car. I'd offer to let you drive it this weekend, but I don't have proper tires at the moment, only some 235 Toyo RA1s that pass as everyday tires on my Evo.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the offer. Will you be at the practice? I am going to the practice, but I have a mountain bike race on Sunday with Scott McWho. I will be doing that unless it rains.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jpgunn
Thanks for the offer. Will you be at the practice? I am going to the practice, but I have a mountain bike race on Sunday with Scott McWho. I will be doing that unless it rains.
No, can't make it on Saturday -- family commitments all morning until 2 PM. And the forecast on Sunday is for "mix of sun and clouds". (Gotta hate San Diego, right???)

But the offer stands for the future if you're interested. I'm always interested in getting feedback from good drivers.

I should have some proper tires by the next event in 3 weeks (probably go with the V710, kind of disappointed with how quickly my last set of Hoosiers wore out). Know of a good place for tire mounting, that can handle 285s on 18x10 rims without complaining or scratching 'em??? I'm pretty new to the area, haven't had tires done since moving from Virginia.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
... Daddio did experiment with 285's front and 245's rear. I can't remember now what he ended up running at nats. Personally, I would go with 315's all around.
Did you notice the difference in diameters (Tirerack- Kumho 710s) between the larger tires:

285/30/18=24.6", 315/35/18=26.4", 315/35/17= 25.4"

My 285's scuff the front fender liners now. Since you can't remove the liners in BSP, how do you deal with a tire that is so wide and at least 0.8" taller?

Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Mar 31, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also noticed that the section width on the 285/30/18 is 11.1" and the 315/35/17 is 13". Assuming your 285 rims are already as far inboard as possible, a pair of the 315s would make your car almost 4" wider. Stompy seems to confirm this.

Last edited by Evo8RA; Mar 31, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Did you notice the difference in diameters (Tirerack- Kumho 710s) between the larger tires:

285/30/18=24.6", 315/35/18=26.4", 315/35/17= 25.4"

My 285's scuff the front fender liners now. Since you can't remove the liners in BSP, how do you deal with a tire that is so wide and at least 0.8" taller?

Mark
I just ignored the problem, but I also need new fender liners at this point.

anyhow, you could raise the ride height and add wheel spacers to correct the problem too.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question for you guys.

I got a set of 255 45 17 Hoosier R S04s (yes I know they are not A S04s, but they were cheap), and I mounted them on the stock wheels but they tore up the fender liner pretty bad in the front, and they are hitting the spring perch on all 4 stock shocks under load.

I am waiting for a set of Muellerized Buddy Clubs which should take care of the spring perch issue, but will spacers take care of the fender liner issue?

I kind of blew my budget this year on a new clutch, Flywheel, Quaife LSD, AMS re-Flash, and the coilovers so, I was hoping to skip out on the 18 inch wheels until next year.

Do you have any advice, or are these tires a lost cause?

I have a guy that will trade me for a set of Toyo 235/40/17 RA1s with 100 miles on them for the Hoosiers (Gingerman here I come), but if I can make these work I would rather try that until I can get a set of S05s or A6s.

Thanks!

-Bill
Old Apr 1, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8usa

I got a set of 255 45 17 Hoosier R S04s . . .
The 255/45 is quite a bit larger diameter than the stock tires, so I believe that is where your problem is. If sticking with Hoosiers on the stock wheels I would recommend going down to 245/40/17 if you want to preserve your liners, plus it will give you a bit of a gearing advantage for quicker accelleration.

But, that does not seem like an option for you. I think you will have to make a choice between the stick of the Hoosier or the non-rubbing of the Toyo. What will be more important to you over the next few months as you save up for a different set of tires??

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 1, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I got a set of 255 45 17 Hoosier R S04s (yes I know they are not A S04s, but they were cheap), and I mounted them on the stock wheels but they tore up the fender liner pretty bad in the front, and they are hitting the spring perch on all 4 stock shocks under load.

I am waiting for a set of Muellerized Buddy Clubs which should take care of the spring perch issue, but will spacers take care of the fender liner issue?

I kind of blew my budget this year on a new clutch, Flywheel, Quaife LSD, AMS re-Flash, and the coilovers so, I was hoping to skip out on the 18 inch wheels until next year.

Do you have any advice, or are these tires a lost cause?

I have a guy that will trade me for a set of Toyo 235/40/17 RA1s with 100 miles on them for the Hoosiers (Gingerman here I come), but if I can make these work I would rather try that until I can get a set of S05s or A6s.

Thanks!

-Bill

I would just buy some spacers. I use the generic H&R 3mm spacers and that cures 90% of the rubbing. Any larger and you will need to replace the wheel studs
Old Apr 1, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think I may have to dip into the savings and get the 245/40/17 A6s.

I will just save the RA1s for trackdays.

Thanks guys,

Bill
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:12 AM

Hope the wear is better on the A6s, than it was on the A5s...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I think I may have to dip into the savings and get the 245/40/17 A6s.

I will just save the RA1s for trackdays.

Thanks guys,

Bill
Why, just go with the V710's in 275/40/17.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

won't I have to roll the fenders to fit them?

Quick Reply: Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8