Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that makes sense, Im new to the evo, and someone had mentioned them earlier.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=SS RX7 r2]
Originally Posted by Last year on Branden's cars(STU Champ) we ran Teins because we did not have the luxury of being able to afford the suspension we wanted. This year though we are running a different car with a different driver and we are running prototype ZZYZX Suspension. We picked Steve(ZZYZX) up as a sponsor and I think any Autocrosser would be silly to overlook his suspension. This year we are running a IX MR in STU with Stve's stuff on it. [/QUOTE

Is Branden still running his STi with Teins? Also was there was some question about the legality of Branden's UTEC in STU- what was the outcome?

How's the MR doing, hit any national events yet?

Rick
We just picked up the MR like 4 weeks ago so as of now it's stock. Last year we got away with Branden's car because we had completely re-wired the boost on it so the factory boost solenoid was still doing all the work. This year we completey pulled it out of the car in favor of a re-flash(which we haven't done yet) to make sure we were fully legal. He's Still running the Teins this year as well as it was hard enough to get Steve to part with 1 set of coilovers at cost...let alone 2. The amount of labor in each invididual set is amazing and I wouldn't ask poor Steve to spit out that kind of work for 2 STU cars.

But the MR is the better car. We ran a warm up here a 3 weeks ago and actually beat Branden with the stock MR by almost half a second. That was exciting for us. Hopefully by the first Divisional in Topeka (April 23 I believe) we will have everything on the car and be starting to dial in the suspension. We also plan on attending the National in Denver with both cars.

As far as Branden's UTEC last year we got it cleared 100 percent before we took off in STU. Like I said we pulled it this year just because the last thing we wanted was debate on us "cheating" or not. At Walnut Ridge he was not running any EM at all and finished 3+ seconds ahead of second.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dieman
We just picked up the MR like 4 weeks ago so as of now it's stock. Last year we got away with Branden's car because we had completely re-wired the boost on it so the factory boost solenoid was still doing all the work. This year we completey pulled it out of the car in favor of a re-flash(which we haven't done yet) to make sure we were fully legal. He's Still running the Teins this year as well as it was hard enough to get Steve to part with 1 set of coilovers at cost...let alone 2. The amount of labor in each invididual set is amazing and I wouldn't ask poor Steve to spit out that kind of work for 2 STU cars.

But the MR is the better car. We ran a warm up here a 3 weeks ago and actually beat Branden with the stock MR by almost half a second. That was exciting for us. Hopefully by the first Divisional in Topeka (April 23 I believe) we will have everything on the car and be starting to dial in the suspension. We also plan on attending the National in Denver with both cars.

As far as Branden's UTEC last year we got it cleared 100 percent before we took off in STU. Like I said we pulled it this year just because the last thing we wanted was debate on us "cheating" or not. At Walnut Ridge he was not running any EM at all and finished 3+ seconds ahead of second.
Interesting that you chose the heaviest version of the IX. Then again maybe you didn't have a choice. Not a purchase solely for SCCA car like most of us.

We certainly could use the Evo representation in STU at Nat's this fall.

My understanding of the Utec is that it was discussed extensively on a few boards and deemed illegal because of the full ignition timing control and not just an intercepted signal EM. From the results at WR, it looks like Branden doesn't need it anyway.

Dave
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Yeah, I voted for Andy because he is a local a friend. Gotta support the locals, ya know.

On the intercooler issue, weight and trimming the undertray are considerations. Most bar and plate ICs will weigh more than twice what the stocker does. Does an extra 10 or 20 HP make up for 20 pounds on the nose of the car? That is the first question to answer. I don't know the answer to that.

The next question, and I don't know the rules that well, but are you allowed to trim the undertray? Does that fall into the removing no more than 1 pound rule to get other parts to fit? If it is allowed, or if you use one of the very few IC's that don't require cutting, you are good to go.

EVOlutionary
light intercoolers that are bigger than stock include the arc and hte greddy rspec.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Trinydex. I kind of had the ARC in the back of my mind because I think it is still a fin and tube type, but at the cost I think only the most fiscally open competitors would consider it. Probably due to the cost I have never seen any comparison of it vs. any of the bar and plate American contenders.

On a different subject, ZZYZX!! Holy ****. I haven't heard that name since I used to race mountain bikes in the mid-late '90's. I always dreamed of having a Bullet Bros. ZZYZX fork on my dream bike (Ellsworth Dare). I take it this is the same company?? Probably not too many others out there with that name. Crazy stuff. Do they have a website??

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i would actually recommend the greddy rspec, it's tiny, similar fin composition to the arc and it's also immaculately made... smaller is lighter in this case and it won't pain your spool as much.

other tube fin optoins that i cannot objectively recommend are the injen and xs engineering. since i haven't seen internal finnin on these i will make no judgements.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silencer
Interesting that you chose the heaviest version of the IX. Then again maybe you didn't have a choice. Not a purchase solely for SCCA car like most of us.

We certainly could use the Evo representation in STU at Nat's this fall.

My understanding of the Utec is that it was discussed extensively on a few boards and deemed illegal because of the full ignition timing control and not just an intercepted signal EM. From the results at WR, it looks like Branden doesn't need it anyway.

Dave

It's only 100 pounds heavier but it also has the LSD, stronger transfer case, stronger transmission, and a few other small goodies that we figured made up for the fact that it does wiegh more. Even with that it still wieghs less than the Subarus. Our biggest dis-advantage is the lack of torque compared to the Suby's. Hopefully we can throw enough "stuff" on it to make up for that. We still have no idea what we are doing for tuning on this car since we don't do any re-flashes here. We are in the same boat with Branden's car too on that though.

Ya, last year I was dissapointed with the lack of Evo's at Nats. It's okay, well get the Suby's this year. I'm really confident we can run with Branden. Neary though...that guy is fast. Jerry(co-driver) and I keep telling ourselves we have to be at least 1 sec. faster than Branden on a 60 sec. course to be competitive with Neary in his M3.

UTEC is illegal beause of it has the ability to control boost it how it was explained to us by the SCCA. That's what makes the Cobb stuff illegal too. The reason Ecutek is legal is because you can test for boost control. If they haven't used it on the Ecutek it's perfectly legal. You could be right though on the timing deal. I know this year the UTEC is definatly a NO-GO. That could be the reason and from reading over this years rule book it makes sense.

Branden's fast but horribly inconsistant. Some weekends he is unbeatable...others...I've seen him finish as low as 4th at some local events because he plows cones. Our biggest fight with him as a driver last year was keeping him clean. During our warm-ups this year the cleanest run he had was a plus 4

side note: different zzyzx....www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Last edited by Dieman; Apr 7, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dieman
It's only 100 pounds heavier but it also has the LSD, stronger transfer case, stronger transmission, and a few other small goodies that we figured made up for the fact that it does wiegh more. Even with that it still wieghs less than the Subarus. Our biggest dis-advantage is the lack of torque compared to the Suby's. Hopefully we can throw enough "stuff" on it to make up for that. We still have no idea what we are doing for tuning on this car since we don't do any re-flashes here. We are in the same boat with Branden's car too on that though.

Ya, last year I was dissapointed with the lack of Evo's at Nats. It's okay, well get the Suby's this year. I'm really confident we can run with Branden. Neary though...that guy is fast. Jerry(co-driver) and I keep telling ourselves we have to be at least 1 sec. faster than Branden on a 60 sec. course to be competitive with Neary in his M3.

UTEC is illegal beause of it has the ability to control boost it how it was explained to us by the SCCA. That's what makes the Cobb stuff illegal too. The reason Ecutek is legal is because you can test for boost control. If they haven't used it on the Ecutek it's perfectly legal. You could be right though on the timing deal. I know this year the UTEC is definatly a NO-GO. That could be the reason and from reading over this years rule book it makes sense.

Branden's fast but horribly inconsistant. Some weekends he is unbeatable...others...I've seen him finish as low as 4th at some local events because he plows cones. Our biggest fight with him as a driver last year was keeping him clean. During our warm-ups this year the cleanest run he had was a plus 4

side note: different zzyzx....www.zzyzxmotorsports.com
Good runs yesterday! Branden was fast and clean! With my car what class should I be in? Without race rubber I am not competetive in SM. I am learning the car pretty well now, I hope to do better soon!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:46 PM

Anyone know whp/wtq of Berry's BSP evo?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
Anyone know whp/wtq of Berry's BSP evo?
yes

Sorry Jake, I was just messing with Marshall.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
yes

Sorry Jake, I was just messing with Marshall.
ha ha

We aren't the most powerful car i've seen in bsp. Why do you want to know?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
ha ha

We aren't the most powerful car i've seen in bsp. Why do you want to know?
Maybe cause Jake has a sweet ASP car that should be moved down to BSP?

Jake, what does the FD make in ASP trim? 330 -360hp?

Rick
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Maybe cause Jake has a sweet ASP car that should be moved down to BSP?

Jake, what does the FD make in ASP trim? 330 -360hp?

Rick
ah i see. 360hp in a 2700lb car? aww crap
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
ah i see. 360hp in a 2700lb car? aww crap
Don't quote me on that high hp#. When Wolfgang ran his 100% ASP FD, he came in 4th at Nats behind Huffman's and other Loti. His was making about 300 hp with the no boost control rule. Of course now that boost control is allowed, the safe boost delta is much greater on an Evo than the rotary.

Locally Wolfgang PAXed #1 and FTD a few times, he's a good driver. Ask Tom about it, I'm sure he remembers.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:06 PM

Consider that a BSP EVO is WOT 3x more than an ASP FD because it has 2 additional contact patches putting the power down. In Dixie, I can't think of more than 2 places I was WOT. If I was in the STU Subaru I know I would have been all over the throttle (much like Evos).

So what's Berry's dyno plot look like???

Quick Reply: Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8