Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8

I started talking about this in the Fontana Pro Solo thread and figured it was really a hijack and I should start a new thread for it, so here it is.

What does everyone think the chances of a boost unlimited Evo IX would be in BSP?

What would a perfect build sheet look like?

Here are some of the replies so far from the other thread:

"But I'll try to give a basic rundown. FYI, 285's will no longer cut it.
315's
Ohlins R&T
Xede with smart contol
I'd defitnely recommend replacing all the diffs. Not sure if there is an option for the center diff though.

You will need to up the spring rate to keep the fenders off the tires (I'm sure you know this) or just hack away. I'd start with an RS model as it alreadys has some weight reduction done. Again, you should know the rest.

Daddio has some good info in his thread here as well.
GS #80

EVO 8
STU #80

Mr. Ratt,

To add:

No Xede/Smart for the IX, yet. I'm just guessing, but Andy might have the ECU worked on by a certain CA. company until Vishnu offers the Xede (Xflash is an option though).

There are a few manufacturers of center diffs on the market (Cusco, Ralliart, etc., Not sure about ACD compatibility).

Spring rates are already stiff. I'd say 900/1200 lbs.

315's?

Ohlins, definitely!

How about: Header, dp, exhaust, bushings, sway bar, etc. (Possibly from a supporting sponser?)

Maybe Navid can give us a hint on his combination.

Dave
#76 STU

Whoops, didn't know the xede wasn't out for the 9.

No clue on the diff, good to know there are options.

Agreed on the rates.

yes 315's, a certain east coast STi will be running them this year.

Knowing James, I'm assuming he knows all the basics like exhaust and bars, etc.
GS #80

EVO 8
STU #80"

Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:50 PM

Sounds to me like the Ralliart ECU for the ACD would be good. Anyone have a work around for making those work on the US cars yet?

Rear diff may be worth worrying about -- which one works best in the tight radius AX application?

Front diff seems like it would not be worth the trouble, but could be.

Full exhaust and possibly headers are a given.

ECU and some way to switch from 91 Octane maps to 100 Octane map is a must.

Lose weight everywhere you can.

What about people's choices for spring rates? (so far I heard 900/1200)

Ride Height?

Alignment specs?

Anyone make a nice flare for the Evo? 315s would be nice, but may make the car too wide. I wonder if you could do a 315 front and 275 rear?

Has anyone looked into putting the ABS on the Evo IX RS?

Exedy twin disk seems to get good reviews, any others to look at?

What is the best intake manifold? Any point in changing?

Intercooler worth touching? Piping?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Hope you have $20K plus the initial car cost....I really think a build of that magnitude will get there too. And I'm not including any labor for part installs.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:41 PM

You could be right. There are certainly things that may add little performance and cost a lot. Those are things that end up way down the priority list and never get done if the car can get it done without them.

I had an Evo VIII in 2003/4, and even in stock form it loved to pick up the inside rear with 710s on it. Need to keep the tires on the ground. Is everyone just stiffening the heck out of the cars? Seems like 900/1200 is an attempt at that.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

I am just running in stock class but you probably know the weaknesses of the car in its stock form.

The clutch is a must. You want to be able to launch the hell out of it to take advantage of the AWD.

Look into a bigger front sway bar along with the spring rates to minimize the 3-wheel motion. 500WHP.com has a 27.5mm FSB. It's spendy but big.

The rear LSD is hate'n life when you're doing the 3-wheel motion and then you get on the gas.

Just my $0.02
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jpgunn
I started talking about this in the Fontana Pro Solo thread and figured it was really a hijack and I should start a new thread for it, so here it is.

What does everyone think the chances of a boost unlimited Evo IX would be in BSP?

What would a perfect build sheet look like?
My prediction is that a certain midwest EVO will win BSP at Nationals.

And another certain midwest EVO (me) will get his a$$ handed to him in SM by a certain yellow monster.

As for a perfect build sheet, start with the ESP winning car from last year, add about 50 WHP more, lose at least 100 pounds and you have a good start. For tuning, IMHO a custom reflash by the proper tuner will get you almost as much as a piggyback if you need something until the Vishnu system comes out. And they can control boost and launch control with a reflash now too.

Are 305's or 315's the way to go? Have you tested them to see if you can get enough heat in them to get them up to optimal stickiness?

The Ralliart ACD controller has been made to work on the USDM cars. There is a thread about it on here somewhere. You have to ground out the AYC input or output or wire it up with resistor or something like that. I can't remember.

And there is always the Cusco 35/65 center differential to get the car more RWD biased . . . I know TRE has experience with it. I saw it. I get goosebumps thinking about it. For rear differentials, talk with Daddio. I think he has some experience with them. I thought I saw a post where he said he was going to or did change it.

Good luck, you have a long and expensive task ahead of you.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know that cost will be an issue since James runs a Porsche GT-2 in ASP.

I've never heard the springs rates you mentioned. And have no clue what they are running. Though I think those rates may be a little high.

You can't really go wrong with the 285/30/18 combo. Though, like I mentioned earlier. It will probably not be enough this year.

Take a close look at Navid and Tak's car and get ahold of them. I'd probably leave both sway bars as is. The spring rates will give you more than enough roll resistance. And work on keeping the inside rear tire on the ground.

FYI, there are a few wide body kits out there. But it would probably be just as easy to have custom flares down. Also, 285's fit with minimal rolling.

Defintely do the exhaust manifold, the weight savings make it's worth it.

Intake manifold I would leave as well. I've heard there is some power gain to be had with a different and more efficent FMIC. But I'm not sure if the car will need one at your power levels.

Daddio did expierement with 285's front and 245's rear. I can't remember now what he ended up running at nats. Personally, I would go with 315's all around.

Last edited by ratt_finkel; Mar 27, 2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
My prediction is that a certain midwest EVO will win BSP at Nationals.
Since we are already making premature preditions, I'll say this. It's way too early to tell. If it rains (usually does one of the days), I think Andy has a very good chance of making a top 5. He is an excellent wet driver. If both days end up staying dry, both Andy and John should at least trophy. Rumors of Jason Uyeda's BSP S2000 puts him in contention as well. Of course we can't rule out Lee Piccione, Harold Olsen, Tommy Pulliam, and a few other Subie guys that may stay in BSP. Bob Tunnell has been running BSP this season so far. Throw him into the mix along with James (jpgunn) and it's anyone's race.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Good luck, you have a long and expensive task ahead of you.

EVOlutionary
Like Ratt said, cost should not be a barrier for James. Look at his history.

Dave

Last edited by Silencer; Mar 29, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone know who bought Andy/John's last year winning ESP Evo?

Eric Stemler might be a person to talk to as well. I'm not sure he visits here very often anymore.

There are a lot of threads that talk about what type of shock works best for the Evo. I will just offer that besides the Ohlins R&T, there is also Koni, Moton, and JRZ that come to mind. On the high end of course. DMS might be included except I personally have not heard a lot of information on them pertaining to Solo2 (only club and off-road racing). All the ones I've mentioned have US. support including custom rebuilding/revalving.

Dave
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:28 AM

The GT2 I ran last year was not my car, so my budget is not as unlimited as everyone seems to suppose. I was lucky enough to have a generous Porsche racer who is also a friend. He wanted to see what a GT2 could do when developed and driven well.

It is entirely likely that the new GT3 will end up being what I drive next year, but for this season I am looking for other options, as that car will not be available in time for nationals.

As far as the ACD Ralliart module, it seemed that work around (resistors on missing AYC wires) was more of a theory that had not been tried yet. I did some searching on it a couple of weeks ago and that is what my conclusion was.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I voted for Andy because he is a local a friend. Gotta support the locals, ya know.

On the intercooler issue, weight and trimming the undertray are considerations. Most bar and plate ICs will weigh more than twice what the stocker does. Does an extra 10 or 20 HP make up for 20 pounds on the nose of the car? That is the first question to answer. I don't know the answer to that.

The next question, and I don't know the rules that well, but are you allowed to trim the undertray? Does that fall into the removing no more than 1 pound rule to get other parts to fit? If it is allowed, or if you use one of the very few IC's that don't require cutting, you are good to go.

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:44 PM

Hey maybe BSP will turn out to be interesting afterall. Rumor has it that a certain CENDIV S2000 will also be thrown into the mix. Honda, Chevy, BMW, Subi and Mitsu. Stay Tuned.

Hey Dave, did you ever get your shocks worked out? BTW, last year's championship car went to a new home in AZ but is expected to run some in CENDIV with a very competitive driver at the helm. Of course, I fully expect it to pick up a few extra cone marks.

Ok, back to work.... Andy and I are busy in the garage with the new project.

John.....
Showcase Mitsubishi - Project IX
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey James,

Here's a pic of Joel's "stompy" w/315s ready for the Walnut Ridge Tour this weekend:
http://www.8400rpm.com/autox/031906/stompy2.jpg

I think you could get it done with 285s for the Pros in a IX with an ESP '05 set-up (stock diffs, moderate rates, standard wt. savings, etc), plus boosted Vishnu engine management.

Rick
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Just a note, we have several different applications for the evo, from 40mm autocross 2800$ setups up to 18k$ 5 way adjustable professional kits. Depends what you need as far as adjustability and how fast you want to go

Sevral dealers across the US are trained to service the units, we can re-valve them here at our facility in North America.

-mark
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mov_ovr
Hey Dave, did you ever get your shocks worked out? BTW, last year's championship car went to a new home in AZ but is expected to run some in CENDIV with a very competitive driver at the helm. Of course, I fully expect it to pick up a few extra cone marks.

Ok, back to work.... Andy and I are busy in the garage with the new project.

John.....
Showcase Mitsubishi - Project IX
Hey John,

I did finally get the Moton's worked out with respect to size. It was very late in the season when I received the 2nd version so I wasn't able to do some of the testing I had planned before Nat's. Need to work with Moton on the dampening a bit.

I look forward to seeing the Showcase IX at some of the Cendiv events. Going to the Peru Tour or Pro?

Also, is Mark and Jennifer putting on another 3-day testing session at Peru any time soon. Similar to last year?

Dave

Dave

Quick Reply: Building a BSP Evo 9 or 8