Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SS Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS Brake lines

Have a question regarding stainless steel brake lines. I added the lines a few days ago along with new fluid (Motul RBF 600).

I've heard people say that SS lines makes you better modulate the brakes. My quesiton is does the pedal feel tighter and the travel less with SS lines or is there more travel?

The pedal doesn't feel spongy, but it seems like there's more travel in the pedal after installing the SS lines. I think the bleeding was done right, but would like feed back on your experience with SS lines. please be as descriptive as possible.

thanks
Old Apr 12, 2006, 04:52 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KZEVO
The pedal doesn't feel spongy, but it seems like there's more travel in the pedal after installing the SS lines.
The lines have no effect on pedal travel, unless they're ballooning like a sausage casing! Since the compressibility of air is much greater than the elasticity of even stock lines, you need to make sure you've bled your brakes correctly to get any benefit from braided lines.

Dave

Last edited by djh; Apr 12, 2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

ss lines should give you a firmer pedal as there is less expanding in the line when pressing the brake
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:53 PM

I felt the same after the ss brake lines was intalled. The brake pedal needed to be pressed more before the brakes engage. Also, there seems to be more travel with brake pedel.

I installed stoptech ss brake line and used Motul RBF 600. I am planning to bleed the brake system this weekend to see if this will help.

Have a question regarding stainless steel brake lines. I added the lines a few days ago along with new fluid (Motul RBF 600).

I've heard people say that SS lines makes you better modulate the brakes. My quesiton is does the pedal feel tighter and the travel less with SS lines or is there more travel?

The pedal doesn't feel spongy, but it seems like there's more travel in the pedal after installing the SS lines. I think the bleeding was done right, but would like feed back on your experience with SS lines. please be as descriptive as possible.

thanks
Old Apr 12, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

interesting because i have the same lines and same fluid. let me know if anything changes after your rebleed.

Originally Posted by evojim
I felt the same after the ss brake lines was intalled. The brake pedal needed to be pressed more before the brakes engage. Also, there seems to be more travel with brake pedel.

I installed stoptech ss brake line and used Motul RBF 600. I am planning to bleed the brake system this weekend to see if this will help.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

when i installed mine the pedal was definetely harder than stock, i used goodridge fr and rear, stock fluid and the pedal always felt firmer in any driving situation
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:21 AM

The brake pedal feels a lot firmer after the rebleed

interesting because i have the same lines and same fluid. let me know if anything changes after your rebleed.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Did you do anything different for your re-bleed? Just bled my brakes, and the pedal is worse, spongy with lots of travel. Some people (and the service manual), recommend bleeding with the engine running. Did you try this?
Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

The brake pedal feels a lot firmer after the rebleed
That's good to hear. I need to get it done again
Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Barnettevo
Did you do anything different for your re-bleed? Just bled my brakes, and the pedal is worse, spongy with lots of travel. Some people (and the service manual), recommend bleeding with the engine running. Did you try this?
Thanks!

There may be a how to in here somewhere about the rebleed. But I would suggest you rebleed again. Perhaps the person pushing the pedal did not push it all the way down? good luck
Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:26 PM

there is a very good write up in the how to forum

There may be a how to in here somewhere about the rebleed. But I would suggest you rebleed again. Perhaps the person pushing the pedal did not push it all the way down? good luck
Old May 16, 2006, 08:20 AM

thanks
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a line that was not 100% tight and had a VERY slow leak. After fixing that (it was a rear line), I re-bleed the rear brakes and now it is a very hard pedal and feels much better than stock.
Old May 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Always re-bleed the rear brakes after an install like that. I find that you don't get all of the air out of the rears the first time. Start with the right rear (inside bleeder then outside bleeder), go to left rear, then right front, left front, right rear again and then left rear again.

Hope this helps

Darin
Old May 16, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't notice a difference in my pedal either. I went with the Goodridge lines and RBF-600. But then between driving my Civic during the week, and my wife's Charger on Sundays I only drive the Evo 1 day a week...

The SS lines feel good, and the car stops great. I bled the brakes right after the install, and then again after I drove the car around and noticed no difference.
Old May 16, 2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by djtmotorsports
Always re-bleed the rear brakes after an install like that. I find that you don't get all of the air out of the rears the first time. Start with the right rear (inside bleeder then outside bleeder), go to left rear, then right front, left front, right rear again and then left rear again.

Hope this helps

Darin
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the next brake bleed (do it after event track day :-)