Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Day at Limerock

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJEvo
Just an FYI for others - the muffler comes off at about the 4 minute mark in the vid.

Guys - Great video! How do you mount your camcorder in the Evo? I've got to get my camcorder mounted, but most of the setups I've seen in other cars involve a headrest/post deal, which obviously can't work unmodified on the Recaros, and I can't mount a harness brace. Any suggestions would be appreciated on that one.

As far as track days, I joined my local BMW CCA - they're a great bunch of guys and run some great events. I did LRP last fall, and I'm headed there again on 5/6 & 9/23. 2 Watkins Glen events sandwiched in between.

The camera is mounted on my harness bar. I see some guys mount them behind the back seat (custom bracket). If you cant do either of those... get a helmet cam.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Haha. Looks like fun!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great vid - will get to Limerock one of these days
Old Apr 18, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

great vid!

yeah, you guys looked like you were having fun.

n
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

we were having tons of fun! its awesome bein out there with another car just like yours and you two hook up and run down other cars together
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Man, that red Evo sure looked it was moving around in the corners a lot. I was just thinking I wouldn't be following so closely when the muffler came off.

I got an oppurtunity to drive there last Fall (though not in my car). My recollection is that going up that hill felt a lot more dramatic in real life than it looks on video. I felt like I was launching into space. Am I misremembering, or do y'all think video just doesn't do it justice?

Regarding camcorder mounts: I took out the center child seat mount on the rear deck and ran a bolt through through the hole from the trunk, using a lot of rubber washer things to dampen the vibration. I got a bolt that my camcorder could thread directly on to. It's not the greatest, but it was dirt cheap.

Later I tried making a better mount by stripping the mount off a broken tripod, attaching it to wooden dowel, drilling a hole through the dowel, and running the bolt through the dowel. A lot more time and effort, pretty much the same video quality. But now I clip the camcorder in or out in only 2 seconds, rather than having to thread it down on a bolt.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Berserker
Man, that red Evo sure looked it was moving around in the corners a lot. I was just thinking I wouldn't be following so closely when the muffler came off.

I got an oppurtunity to drive there last Fall (though not in my car). My recollection is that going up that hill felt a lot more dramatic in real life than it looks on video. I felt like I was launching into space. Am I misremembering, or do y'all think video just doesn't do it justice?

Regarding camcorder mounts: I took out the center child seat mount on the rear deck and ran a bolt through through the hole from the trunk, using a lot of rubber washer things to dampen the vibration. I got a bolt that my camcorder could thread directly on to. It's not the greatest, but it was dirt cheap.

Later I tried making a better mount by stripping the mount off a broken tripod, attaching it to wooden dowel, drilling a hole through the dowel, and running the bolt through the dowel. A lot more time and effort, pretty much the same video quality. But now I clip the camcorder in or out in only 2 seconds, rather than having to thread it down on a bolt.
Video does NOT do lime rock justice.... The uphill is VERY dangerous and hurts alot of people. The downhill isnt any picnic either
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks to all for the camcorder mount stuff. I wanted to try to mount the camcorder close enough to me to control from my seat. I had a b*tch of a time even with it mounted on a BMW 325i seat headrest when I ran One Lap last year - I'd press the record button and at the end of the run find that the button press didn't get it into record mode. That really kills me now when I try to relive my glory moments. We ended up doing a team effort on recording, where the non-driver would sit in the back and kick on the record just before the driver needed to go out on track, scrambling out of the car and slamming the door. It probably looked ridiculous, but we got every run after implementing that method.

That hill is very scary, but I found the best way into it was to late apex it just a bit and then just loosely hold the wheel as you went up. The Evo just seemed to track it naturally. I would put no steering input in after making the turn in at the bottom. Worked like a charm for me - the shiny side is still shiny.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Vid does NOT do Limerock justice.
My car was moving around a lot. Stock suspension on R comps... the suspension just wasn't up to holding the tires flat. I'm not wearin the inside of the tires at all.
My entrance to the uphill was an early apex, the car would track out sooner, but th euphill would catch it and pull it back in. The downill turn I'd do my best not to get on the brakes, but its hard. I'd try to make a 'regular' apex and let her track out. I never thought in my life I'd push my car that hard in 5th gear.
Kyle, when you goin up there next?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Connecticut Valley BMW CCA chapter has some openings for their May 5th track day if anyone is interested.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

how much?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Theres a PDX event thats gunna b held up there in July or June I think, ill be there instructing, Chris Dyson will be there too should be sweet.

Scorke
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Hell yeah, that looked like fun.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ldstang50
how much?
If I read the reg form correctly, it looks like $250.

http://www.ctvalley.org/dsprocess.htm

Email Steve Wasley if you're interested (his email addy is near the bottom of the page)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

what are there rules? do you make you drive with an instructor if your new to the group?