Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Need advice on brake pads for track use only!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
That may be true. But keep in mind that you're talking about Endless CC-R pads, which are race compounds. In contrast, speedomodel was talking about the CC-X pads, which are a street/track hybrid pad. Not really the same thing.

Emre
Yes, this is true, thats why i said, "to counter".

The pads are fairly similar though, both carbon metallic. CCR's are recommended for a slick, whereas the ccx's are recommended for a radial.

The temps, and friction coefficient are similar, with the ccx's actually having a higher CF. Temp range for the ccx is 120-1300, CCR is 300- 1500.

For track use, i'd recommend the CCR's, as the original poster was looking for a "track Pad only", and thats how i use it, and is what i was suggesting.

Originally Posted by heeltoer
Also as far as stock oem rotors, i recently bought rotors for the evo from http://stores.ebay.com/ROTORPROS, they seem cheap but are good quality, i would venture to say better than oem since they warp less.
I bought a set, and had been running them, however i was seriously heat cracking the fronts, spider crack city. I upgraded to the Performance Friction 2 piece fronts that have the radial veins, and they stay much cooler, much better piece.

I swore for the price they charged, i didn't care, but after 4-5 events, and seeing them, i wasn't so sure i wanted to continue to use them. Still using the rears for track though, and swapping out all the stock stuff on track days. (takes 7 minutes to swap a front rotor + pad, 6 minutes to do the rears. )
Old May 8, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets see here
250 / set of 4 rotor pros rotors

620 / front pair from performance friction. I guess that means youd have to get 8-10+ events for the performance friction rotors to make them worthwhile. Id be interetsed to know if thats the case. When you mention they PFC run cooler, are you experiencing loss of braking power on the track? Id venture to say its more likely caused by your pad and/or fluid since those are usually the most heat sensative (rotors unless worn very thin are almost always last). I use motul RBF 600.

Also as far as spider cracks, they don't really matter until they go all the way to the edges. And rotorpros offers their rotors in slotter and or drilled format as well. I figure with rotors that cheap, i won't be too pissed if I have a bad bed in or vibration, just buy another set
Old May 8, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

PS ive chatted with road race engineering about replacement rotor and hardware which would make the 2nd set to about 400 (still double rotorpros) but have been told that they have been waiting for availability for a while now and don't expect to get them anytime soon. if you know of a source for replacement PFC rotors and hardware (so you can reuse the hat) id love to know, might make them somewhat cost effective.

-heeltoer
Old May 8, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heeltoer
lets see here
250 / set of 4 rotor pros rotors

620 / front pair from performance friction. I guess that means youd have to get 8-10+ events for the performance friction rotors to make them worthwhile. Id be interetsed to know if thats the case. When you mention they PFC run cooler, are you experiencing loss of braking power on the track? Id venture to say its more likely caused by your pad and/or fluid since those are usually the most heat sensative (rotors unless worn very thin are almost always last). I use motul RBF 600.

Also as far as spider cracks, they don't really matter until they go all the way to the edges. And rotorpros offers their rotors in slotter and or drilled format as well. I figure with rotors that cheap, i won't be too pissed if I have a bad bed in or vibration, just buy another set
Oh i know, the economics of it don't make sense. Not experiencing any loss of braking power, but last time at homestead, i didn't boil my motul, which is good news. I haven't bled from yesterday at sebring, but with me basically killing my ccr pads, i venture to say it might have boiled, still no loss in pedal feel or braking ability at all.

I don't care for the slotted, etc, and i honestly think the pf rotors did a much better job at eating away my pads than the rotorpros did, as i killed a pad that had PLENTY of depth left saturday.

My cracks were everywhere man. I've got small ones in the PF's, but nothing like the others. They're a great product for the occasional tracker/ street use, but under the high heat, etc, whew, i dunno. I didn't like the looks of it.
Old May 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
They're a great product for the occasional tracker/ street use, but under the high heat, etc, whew, i dunno. I didn't like the looks of it.
ill keep that in mind, temps are getting warmer here in norcal as well. lets see what happens at thill in 2 weeks.