Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hawk DTC pads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsycks
How are the PF01's wearing for people? One thing that attracts me to the DTCs is that everyone tells me how well they wear and how easy they are on their rotors.
I ran these last year and liked them. All full thickness; they were very off/on - but I think that's in large part because they were my first set of track-only pads. After properly bedding them in and getting used to the pedal feel (1 day) I had total confidence in them. I ran them on my stock rotors and they still look/feel good.

I think I got 6 total track days out of them (5 dry; 1 wet). Probably longer if I'd had some brake cooling ducts. (will for 08).

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 18, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't experience an on-off characteristic with them. To each his own I suppose.

I've heard the PFC01 dust is somewhat harder to remove than the DTC60's very-easy-to-remove dust.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm surprised so many are calling these an on/off pad. I've run them with street tires and no ABS and had no trouble modulating and threshold braking with them. If you are coming from a less aggressive pad, you might just be using too much initial pedal pressure? I also found the dust a breeze to remove.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stuntman
PFC01 is a great pad, torque is very flat and controlled with brake pressure.

DTCs have a "rising torque" characteristic. The torque of the pad rises as the temp of the pad material rises. I'm surprised that someone liked the release characteristics of the DTC because IMO they have a pretty bad release characteristics, they're on then they immediately let go -not much room for modulation. Also after a long braking zone where the pads are hot, if you have to brush the brakes they grab very hard with light pressure (pads still hot), then after a few corners when the pads cool off -brush the brakes again with the same effort and they don't bite nearly as hard -torque rise characteristic, lower pad temp = lower bite.

From Hawk:
DTCs have a "rising torque" characteristic.
The torque of the pad (how it slows the car down) rises as the temp of the pad material rises.

After a long braking zone where the pads are hot, if you brush the brakes they grab very hard with light pressure (pads still hot),
After a few corners when the pads cool off -brush the brakes again with the same effort and they don't bite nearly as hard -due to its torque rise characteristic, lower pad temp = lower bite.

I'm still surprised that someone liked the release characteristics of the DTC because IMO they have a pretty bad release characteristics especially when hot, not much room for modulation.

-This was on a Grand Am ST car.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run the dtc 70s up front and have no release issues and they are very easy to modulate. I find the on off of the pfs harder to do so. The PFs have more initial bite for sure but the dtcs seem much more linear. I also tend to crumble the 01s off my car, then they score the heck out of my rotors. The dtcs hang in there the whole race and are much more rotor friendly. Also run SRF brake fluid
Marty
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
I run the dtc 70s up front and have no release issues and they are very easy to modulate. I find the on off of the pfs harder to do so. The PFs have more initial bite for sure but the dtcs seem much more linear. I also tend to crumble the 01s off my car, then they score the heck out of my rotors. The dtcs hang in there the whole race and are much more rotor friendly. Also run SRF brake fluid
Marty
PFC's less linear and DTC's have better brake modulation
-sounds a little backwards to me.

PFC01s do have more initial bite but they're great to modulate due to their flat torque curve (torque vs. temp graph). DTCs have a lower initial bite due to their characteristic, and pretty much regardless of your pedal pressure/application, they tend to do the same thing each time -IMO it takes your application and throws it out the window -the torque changes due to temperature and not by pedal pressure/application.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

My brakes are always hot so maybe Im not seeing the difference in temps/torque you are talking about. Personally, I drag the brakes quite a bit on the pace lap to get them up to temp. In my experience, with dtc's if I want a little braking, I push a little on the pedal, if I want more I push more, if I want everything she can give I push it all the way. In my experience with the PFs, they are too grabby upon initial push and hard to modulate to get just the right amount. I do a lot of trail braking to get my T2 evo to turn so I need a nice linear feel, I just dont get that with the PFs compared to the DTCs. Also, ill repeat that I crumble the PFs off the car in one race if it is a course thats tough on brakes so they are not even a viable option. I have stock rotors, calipers over 3500 pounds to haul down and im in the 340 whp range.
picture of my calipers https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...5&d=1170985336

picture of my rotor https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...2&d=1172631366
Marty
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Dayum! They're not even brownbos. They're blackbos!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

My brakes are always hot so maybe Im not seeing the difference in temps/torque you are talking about.
So your brakes are always at 700-1,300*F, even on the straights? Brakes can shed hundreds of degrees on even a small straight (especially when ducted).

We had a temperature sensor in the pads and saw 1,300*F drop to less than 400*F at Mid-O, and then fluctuate through the esses slowly dropping until it thunder alley/valley (whatever its called) -as the temperature dropped that 900 degrees, the torque changed with it.

Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

I told you what I think of the pads period. No I did not have a sensor to measure the temps through every segment of the track. Just curious, please tell me about the car you are driving when you were taking these measurements. This year at the runoffs Hawks had 38 cars on the podium, most on dtc's, the number two pad had 10 podiums. I have no bias towards hawk but a lot of people including Me, think they work pretty darn well. If you dont like them, then dont use them! But please do not lecture Me on my opinion.
Marty

I do agree with this statement from Hawk DTC-70 Extremely high torque with aggressive controllable initial bite. Superior release and torque control characteristics. Brake pads designed for cars with high deceleration rates with or without down force. and DTC-70
All heavy, high deceleration Sports car, Trans AM, and GT classes where aggressive but very controllable initial bite is desired

SCCA National Champions 2007 on Hawk Pads.

Class Winner Car
Show Room Stock- C John Heinricy #32
Formula Mazda James Goughary Jr #72
S2000 John Fergus II #0
H- Production Tom Feller #71
T-3 Robert Huffmaster #27
T-2 Don Knowles #35
F- Production Jesse Prather #1
A- Sedan Andrew McDermid #24
SRF Mike Miserendino #11
T-1 Andrew Aquilante #36
GTL Christopher Bovis #18
Spec Miata Brad Rampelberg #4
DSR J.R. Osborne #83

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Jan 19, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

I told you what I think of the pads period. No I did not have a sensor to measure the temps through every segment of the track. Just curious, please tell me about the car you are driving when you were taking these measurements. This year at the runoffs Hawks had 38 cars on the podium, most on dtc's, the number two pad had 10 podiums. I have no bias towards hawk but a lot of people including Me, think they work pretty darn well. If you dont like them, then dont use them! But please do not lecture Me on my opinion.
Marty

I do agree with this statement from Hawk DTC-70 Extremely high torque with aggressive controllable initial bite. Superior release and torque control characteristics. Brake pads designed for cars with high deceleration rates with or without down force.
And I gave you mine. You gave me input on different aspects and I gave you mine.

Anyways it was on Koni Challenge ST Acura TSX. The measurements (and rig) was setup by the technical director at Hawk for us.

I don't think they suck, their characteristics are useful for many applications, and they're not difficult to drive on. I simply disagreed with one aspect (the release characteristics) but other than that, they are a good option for many people.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I'm thinking about purchasing some Hawk DTC60's for track use. I used PFC01's last year and liked them. What I didn't like was the initial bite they had the first 2 days I used them. It was too extreme for my liking. It was better after they were worn down a bit - or perhaps I just got used to it.
I was told to try the DTC60's. I think they are a bit cheaper too.
I love quoting myself in threads....

Just wanted to FYI people that the Hawk DTC60's right now are coming in cheaper than they were last year. They're cheaper than PFC01's and the DTC70's - not sure why; but good news for those that like them.

Order my DTC60's; I'll report back in mid-April.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

How much cheaper are they now?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

if you're a NASA member porterfield will give you a good discount
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Kyle at hotlapmotorsports has always given me the best price on HT & DTC pads regardless of any nasa discount other vendors have offered. Definitely shoot him a pm.

Quick Reply: Hawk DTC pads