Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hawk DTC pads

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk DTC pads

Has anyone used these pads yet? I read on the Hawk website that the only difference between the DTC60 and DTC70 is that the DTC60's have less initial bite. I'm guessing this will probably make it easier to do heel/toe downshifts.

Also, will the brake dust from these pads kill my paint?
Old May 28, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have DTC60s and while I can't compare them to the DTC70 I can say that the dust is easy to wipe off. MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the Hawk Blues.

The initial bite is very controllable but it's the release characteristic that really shines. It's especially noticeable on non-abs cars.

Last edited by redvolution; May 28, 2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, that's good to hear about the brake dust.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redvolution
I have DTC60s and while I can't compare them to the DTC70 I can say that the dust is easy to wipe off. MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the Hawk Blues.

The initial bite is very controllable but it's the release characteristic that really shines. It's especially noticeable on non-abs cars.
Bumping this up!

I'm thinking about purchasing some Hawk DTC60's for track use. I used PFC01's last year and liked them. What I didn't like was the initial bite they had the first 2 days I used them. It was too extreme for my liking. It was better after they were worn down a bit - or perhaps I just got used to it.
I was told to try the DTC60's. I think they are a bit cheaper too.

Also, a buddy gave me some Hawk Blues to use. Should I wipe down the dust between runs of these? If so, just off the car or off of the rims too?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Bumping this up!

I'm thinking about purchasing some Hawk DTC60's for track use. I used PFC01's last year and liked them. What I didn't like was the initial bite they had the first 2 days I used them. It was too extreme for my liking. It was better after they were worn down a bit - or perhaps I just got used to it.

Also, a buddy gave me some Hawk Blues to use. Should I wipe down the dust between runs of these? If so, just off the car or off of the rims too?
I have Raybestos ST43s now and I think I liked the DTC60s better b/c the initial bite was lower. I don't remember the feel of the hawk blues much anymore, but I remember thinking that the DTC60s had a better release characteristic.

I wouldn't use blues even if somebody gave me a set. They destroy rotors and the dust is horrible. If you do use 'em, definitely wipe down after each session.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Really do appreciate the feedback.

Right now I'm leaning towards the DTC60's.

Can anyone explain the difference between Hawks' DTC (60/70) and XP (8/10/12/14 etc) line?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Word I have is that the 70s have a bit more bite and the 60s are a little easier on rotors.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I've used both the 70s and 60s. They're more or less the same... same initial bite, same stopping power. The only real difference I noticed was that the DTC70s took half a lap longer to get hot enough to bite.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Bumping this up!

PFC01 is a great pad, torque is very flat and controlled with brake pressure.

DTCs have a "rising torque" characteristic. The torque of the pad rises as the temp of the pad material rises. I'm surprised that someone liked the release characteristics of the DTC because IMO they have a pretty bad release characteristics, they're on then they immediately let go -not much room for modulation. Also after a long braking zone where the pads are hot, if you have to brush the brakes they grab very hard with light pressure (pads still hot), then after a few corners when the pads cool off -brush the brakes again with the same effort and they don't bite nearly as hard -torque rise characteristic, lower pad temp = lower bite.

Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have been using DTC 70 for my last few track events with my StopTech front calipers and rotors. I like them. They really stop the car. Noisiest brake pads I have ever heard, but I don't care much about that.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I also changed from a carbotech XP16 to a DTC70/60 combo and can say that the DTC's have a LOT LOT more stopping power than the Carbotechs.

They also seem to wear and hold up a lot longer as well. I have 2 hard track weekends on them and they're not half way gone yet. We'll see how they do next year.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have enjoyed the 70/60 combination. Incredible initial bite and nearly impossible to fade. I agree that the modulation is so-so to maybe above average. It's more of an on-off pad in my opinion.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I like the 70/60 a lot too and find that the modulation and release characteristics are great. I especially like the fact that they don't score up the rotors like some other aggressive pads.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Barfly30
I have enjoyed the 70/60 combination. Incredible initial bite and nearly impossible to fade. I agree that the modulation is so-so to maybe above average. It's more of an on-off pad in my opinion.
+1
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

How are the PF01's wearing for people? One thing that attracts me to the DTCs is that everyone tells me how well they wear and how easy they are on their rotors.

If there is a release and modulation issue I am a bit shy about their use as I am still rather green in some regards and am just getting more comfortable braking later and trail braking a bit into the turn. I'm not going all that deep or aggressive but as this is a skill I care to slowly hone, the thought of an "on, off pad" seems as if that may be less than ideal for my situation.

Quick Reply: Hawk DTC pads