Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo IX Autocross Class Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
donour is correct, you can change out or port the O2 housing. You also can change out or port the exhaust manifold per the header rule. I received clarification from Doug Gill at SCCA early last year.

Although you cannot use any type of boost control, the legal mods help gain a couple psi throughout the range and the additional timing loves the higher octane. I gained 20+whp going from 93 to 100 with Shiv's tuning.

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, with tuning you can gain a lot of power with higher octane, but then you have to run that higher octane all the time if you have a static tune. With multiple map selection, it's much more ideal.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
This is certainly not true. You're allowed to do whatever you want with fuel and timing. My maps for 93+ octane certainly provide better times than on 91 octane -- even without boost control.

d
You quoted me saying that there's no use for higher octane without raising boost _OR_ A RETUNE, then said it was certainly not true because there are benefits from changes in fuel and timing. Changing fuel and timing = a retune. Of course you make more power on higher octane with a more aggressive tune - that was my point. He would need to get tuned for the higher octane then run that octane 24/7 or have a way to have multiple maps.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You quoted me saying that there's no use for higher octane without raising boost _OR_ A RETUNE, then said it was certainly not true because there are benefits from changes in fuel and timing. Changing fuel and timing = a retune. Of course you make more power on higher octane with a more aggressive tune - that was my point. He would need to get tuned for the higher octane then run that octane 24/7 or have a way to have multiple maps.

Or you can get an Xede and run two maps. One for 93/91 pump and one for 100. i have two maps a pump map and a meth map. Guess which one I use for autocross? (hint: pump). Meth is not allowed. I drain the tank for the events. Vishnu is also working on a flash box that can store more than one flask for the stock ECU. This will give flashes the ability to change maps too.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Fair enough. I think we're on the same page here, I just wanted to make sure than anybody else, who might be reading, didn't get confused or misled.

d
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think grounding cables are legal in STU either. There is no mention of their allowance in STU. That would make them illegal. In stock, there is a mention about them here:
“Grounding kits” specifically designed to support sound
systems are permitted but may serve no other purpose.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

The grounding cables are a factory installed option which make them legal under the stock rule set if I read that correctly.

Except for modifications authorized below, Stock Category cars must be run as specified by the factory with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together on a specific car. Any other modifications or equipment will place the car in Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared or Modified Categories as appropriate.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russjnco
The grounding cables are a factory installed option which make them legal under the stock rule set if I read that correctly.

I believe the cables are a Mitsu dealer option and not a factory installed item, so maybe not legal.

Fuel has to be unleaded street legal with the federal taxes paid, not all 100 oct fuels are legal. Dieman you got to be legal if you're going for the national championship - no 110oct .

Wasn't there an online contest to win a Ralliart Evo like this one?
Old Jun 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
I think so, but that was a rolling ralliart show room with like every part available -- including the very, very pricey ralliart wheels. I seem to remember thinking that it wouldn't actually perform very well. :-p

d
Old Jun 7, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
I believe the cables are a Mitsu dealer option and not a factory installed item, so maybe not legal.

Fuel has to be unleaded street legal with the federal taxes paid, not all 100 oct fuels are legal. Dieman you got to be legal if you're going for the national championship - no 110oct .

I was under the impression that you could run an unleaded gas...I'm not worried about it with the Evo. We are still running Factory exhaust (well we have a cat-back) and an untouched computer on 91 octane...Thanks for the correction though.

but just to keep the discussion alive...You realize that there is a Phillips66 just outside of Topeka that sells 110 at the pump right?

Last edited by Dieman; Jun 7, 2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

The vehicle we are running is THE evo that was the Ralliart Show Car. It was on display at the 2005 SEMA show, then involved in a sweepstakes through Mitsu and Yahoo Autos.

It did NOT have Ralliart wheels. It had the RAYS wheels with Ralliart centercaps.
The car should not be confused with the japanese Ralliart show car. That one does have the black ralliart wheels with the red trim. Ours does not. Ours is the Ralliart USA car.

The car has a section on the www.ralliartusa.com website with up close pictures and also a few up close pics and detailed information about the car at my cardomain site:
www.cardomain.com/id/dmeluzio22

Here is our car the one we autocross. These pics are from the official site ralliartusa.com.

Not to be confused with the japanese car with the ralliart wheels:

we are working on getting the wheels changed for autocrossing. I was not aware that the intercooler piping was not legal for STU. I thought a different intercooler was illegal not differnt piping. thank you for the help.

-Derek

Last edited by dmeluzio22; Jun 13, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking of the japanese Ralliart car....We wanted to add the carbon fibre front splitter but it is a bit pricey and I am afraid it would get messed up when we do autocrosses and track events.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

per the rules....

intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced.

Isn't the intercooler piping before the engine inlet?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately, the 3pt front strut bar is not legal either. You could prob still run it locally as it's not really a performance advance, if the rest of the local class approves it. It would be better to get the car %100 legal though.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dmeluzio22
per the rules....

intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced.

Isn't the intercooler piping before the engine inlet?
No, because in that same rule set it defines the engine inlet as up to the compressor inlet (i.e. turbo) for turbo cars.

Unfortunately, the 3pt front strut bar is not legal either. You could prob still run it locally as it's not really a performance advance, if the rest of the local class approves it.
Per the rules....

L. Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left suspension mounting point. No other configuration is permitted. Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting holes.
I would interpret this rule as allowing a tri-point strut brace for the Evo since you would be using the existing mounting holes, otherwise even the stock front strut bar would be considered illegal. I will agree that a strut tower bar does nothing for performance other than to shave weight.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Autocross Class Question