Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo IX Autocross Class Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point ... No other configuration is permitted"

The steel bar is legal, a non-factory installed bar is not, IMHO.

At the '03 SCCA Solo2 nat championships Dan Maloney removed his Ralliart front strut bar before he ran to avoid any potential protests. You see none of the top STU or SP Evos run alloy front bars, and they would if they could to shed a few lbs.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russjnco
I would interpret this rule as allowing a tri-point strut brace for the Evo since you would be using the existing mounting holes, otherwise even the stock front strut bar would be considered illegal. I will agree that a strut tower bar does nothing for performance other than to shave weight.
[/color][/size][/font]
Rick (SS RX7 r2) is correct. "Transversely" is defined from point A attachment across to point B. Even though the Evo has a factory "tri-point" upper strut bar, you cannot replace it with an aftermarket tri-point bar. However, you can replace it with a bar that eliminates the center point.

Besides, there has got to be a few factory bars out there for sale. Considering the factory tri-point upper strut bar is welded and not hinged, it makes for one of the best built.

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

The one on my car is a factory Mitsubishi accessory that uses the same mounting points as the stock three point.

Does that make a difference?

AGAIN, BTW....... Thanks to all of those who are helping. I am new to autocrossing and appreciate the input.

-Derek
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Personally, I think it's something that will eventually have to be clarified by SEB. My only counter argument to that is that you are still mounting the bar transversely from upper left to upper right using the existing holes. I guess if you didn't want to risk it, he could always unbolt the bar at the center point
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by russjnco
Personally, I think it's something that will eventually have to be clarified by SEB. My only counter argument to that is that you are still mounting the bar transversely from upper left to upper right using the existing holes. I guess if you didn't want to risk it, he could always unbolt the bar at the center point
Good point!

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silencer
Good point!

Dave
+1!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:32 PM

Hey Derek, a little off topic, but i was wondering.... do you downshift to first at the local autocrosses or just leave it in 2nd? You can gain a lot of time by going down to first because of how tight they are, especially park city, but then you take the risk of breaking something like i did.... A little more on topic, i'd also get some sort of ecu such as vishnu exede (and not connect the boost) or i know works has a flash that doesn't touch the boost. That should give you another 20-30hp, maybe more since it's a IX.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fisher22
a little off topic, but i was wondering.... do you downshift to first at the local autocrosses or just leave it in 2nd?
Both York events I stayed in second @ Park City I down shifted to 1st after the slalom to the end. I think Derek ran second the entire time but he still turned some good times (if he could stay off of the cones)!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Adam, get back to work and don't you worry about me and my cones!!!!!!

Last edited by dmeluzio22; Jun 15, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the info on the STU class guys! Very informative.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

IS ported O2 housing legal in STU?

Originally Posted by Silencer
donour is correct, you can change out or port the O2 housing. You also can change out or port the exhaust manifold per the header rule. I received clarification from Doug Gill at SCCA early last year.

Although you cannot use any type of boost control, the legal mods help gain a couple psi throughout the range and the additional timing loves the higher octane. I gained 20+whp going from 93 to 100 with Shiv's tuning.

Dave
Hello, I am finalizing my STU setup this weekend. Just want to make sure ported O2 housing and header are indeed legal in STU. Can anybody confirm this again? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannykao
Hello, I am finalizing my STU setup this weekend. Just want to make sure ported O2 housing and header are indeed legal in STU. Can anybody confirm this again? Thanks!
Yeah. It counts under the exahaust modification allowance.

d
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you donour!

Originally Posted by donour
Yeah. It counts under the exahaust modification allowance.

d
Old Mar 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know that I've ever really read about anyone on here doing this, but, if you were to "port" the O2 housing so that it restricted flow on the wastegate side and caused boost creep - that would be a legal way to increase boost. Any change in boost that results from a legal mod is allowed.

You could probably get up to 25psi if you did it correctly . . .

I know of some STX Subies who have modified their up pipe or downpipe to cause boost creep and get a few more psi from the midrange on up. . .
Old Mar 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Easiest way would be to use an EBay SS O2 housing and weld up the hole that connects the 2 sides so there is a smaller opening.

The key is getting the boost creep predictable and perfectly matched to your race gas. You don't want 30psi on 100octane!

Quick Reply: Evo IX Autocross Class Question