Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo IX Autocross Class Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Autocross Class Question

I am in need of help. I am new to autocrossing. I am in STU. Based on the info below am I in the right class? I will be putting the wheels back to stock size. The current wheels are what came on the car. We had a terrible push in the car and got rid of it with the right tire pressures. I know I should be running some negative camber but how much? Any help is appreciated. I think stock size wheels, good rubber and camber settings will get me in the right direction.

The car is a 2006 Evo IX with the following done to it:

Ralliart coil over suspension
Ralliart Exhaust
Ralliart Intercooler piping
Ralliart hoses
Ralliart Spark plug set
RAYS wheels
Yokohama Advan tires
MMNA Hyper ground cables

Is STU right? And what else do guys do to stay in class and be quicker?

Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idk but u might not have the quickest...but my guess is u have the hottest..im not a fan of rally red, but wow!!

do you have a tune? higher boost? race gas?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

No No and No, Are they legal for STU?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

i thought they are....
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing that would be a question mark for STU legality would be the intercooler piping. If it's a factory option then yes it would be legal but I don't think it is so you would have to go the original Evo IX piping if you want to stay legal in STU.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dmeluzio22
I am in need of help. I am new to autocrossing. I am in STU. Based on the info below am I in the right class? I will be putting the wheels back to stock size. The current wheels are what came on the car. We had a terrible push in the car and got rid of it with the right tire pressures. I know I should be running some negative camber but how much? Any help is appreciated. I think stock size wheels, good rubber and camber settings will get me in the right direction.

The car is a 2006 Evo IX with the following done to it:

Ralliart coil over suspension
Ralliart Exhaust
Ralliart Intercooler piping
Ralliart hoses
Ralliart Spark plug set
RAYS wheels
Yokohama Advan tires
MMNA Hyper ground cables

Is STU right? And what else do guys do to stay in class and be quicker?

bsp- you can't change the IC pipes in STU
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I agree. I had a douche bag in another EVO that complained that I had a carbon fiber hood and made me bump to SM. He was in SM and wanted to drop to STU to get an easy win. But it backfired and they moved me to SM with him. LOL, I beat him in SM (me 2nd him 3rd). I found out from one of his club members that he even had a built motor too.

OK...

The IC pipes can be seen as impacting the boost and bump you up to SM. They are only a factory option in Europe FQ330/FQ400, not in the US. Higher boost is a big "NO" in STU.

I don't see that race gas would be a problem? It isn't a modification, just fuel.

I run SM now at the bigger events and STU at the smaller when people aren't being as$es about mods. I run 440 tread wear tires and a subi with slicks always beats me by .2-.3. I should get some slicks.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:56 AM

IC pipes are explicitly allowed in Street Prepared (assuming you consider the piping to be part of the intercooler). From section 15.10 of rules...

3. As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced
induction, induction charge heat exchangers (known as “intercoolers”
or “charge air coolers (CACs)”) are unrestricted in
size and configuration. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for airto-
liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere, except
for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural
members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation.

They are definately not allowed in STU.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

As stated the intercooler piping has to go to stay in STU. You can run as wide a wheel as you want in STU. However there is a tire restriction. The biggest you can run is a 245/45/17. Falken makes a pretty decent 245 although it seems all the guys now are going over to the Yokohama Neova 245/40/17. We just got in our 245 Yoko's and are putting them on a 9" wide wheel trying to keep a good wide footprint. Race Gas is okay as long as it is unleaded. So the best you can probably get away with will be 110. More than likely a 103-104 will be a good bet for you. Boost changes are not allowed. You have to keep your cat. For the most part that's all I can think of that you will have to contend with at the moment.

Good choice in cars though

Here's ours with the 8" wheels and the Falkens:

Last edited by Dieman; Jun 5, 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

FYI:

Although always up for a debate, 100 oct. unleaded is the max.

Per the rulebook:

"3.6 FUEL
A. Stock and Street Touring Class vehicles will use service station
pump fuel only. Pump fuel is defined as that which is “Federally
approved for use on public highways.” This does not allow
racing-type fuels which are available at service station pumps."

The tire must be 140 wear rated or higher. Any 245/35, 40, 45, 50, etc./16, 17, 18, 19, etc. is legal. Top choices are: Kumho MX, Falken RT-615, Advan/ Yoko Neova AD07, Bridestone Potenza RE-01R, and Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 (not in any particular order).

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless, you have no use for higher octane if you can't retune for it or if you can't change your boost. Stick with regular pump gas (91-94oct).

Is that Ralliart exhaust only a cat-back? It's best to specify cat-back vs turboback when listing exhaust mods. If it's cat-back, then you're fine.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Regardless, you have no use for higher octane if you can't retune for it or if you can't change your boost. Stick with regular pump gas (91-94oct).

Is that Ralliart exhaust only a cat-back? It's best to specify cat-back vs turboback when listing exhaust mods. If it's cat-back, then you're fine.
In STU it is OK to have a turbo back exhaust as long as you maintain the emissions equipment.

So for an EVO a turbo back exhaust is fine as long as you keep a catylitic converter in same aproximate position as the stock unit (not an issue on the EVO) and don't change the O2 housing.

To use a turbo back exhaust you can't change or port the O2 housing because it has the front O2 sensor which is considered part of the emissions systems. At least, that is the way I interpret the rules.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But it is not considered a turboback unless it removes the stock cat, but you are saying that an aftermarket HFC is allowed, right? Why would that be different from doing an aftermarket or ported stock o2 housing? It replaces the stock part, but retains the stock emissions device in the same location. The HFC does not filter like a stock cat, so that seems about the same to me as upgrading or porting the o2 housing - how do you reconcile those 2 factoids per your interpretation?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This is certainly not true. You're allowed to do whatever you want with fuel and timing. My maps for 93+ octane certainly provide better times than on 91 octane -- even without boost control.

d
Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

From SCCA 2006 solo rulesbook:

pg 75:

"Exhaust manifolds and headers may be replaced with alternate
units which are emissions-legal. "

pg 77:

"High flow catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach
within six inches of the original unit. Multiple catalytic con-
verters may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the
single replacement converter may be located no further
downstream than 6" along the piping flow path from theoriginal exit of the final OE converter."

d

EDIT: Oh, and way to go Silencer! I'm still in pursuit of the BMW's locally.

Last edited by donour; Jun 5, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Autocross Class Question