Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Brake caliper coloration

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake caliper coloration

Is anyone else seeing the front calipers change to "Brownbos" unevenly from left to right? My LF caliper is good and brown, but after 2 days at Beaverun this past weekend, the RF caliper is nearly black. Measuring caliper and rotor temps after a session shows no real disparity form left to right, and pad wear is equal left to right as well. Are there more obstructions to airflow on the right side? It just seems very odd that one is so much darker than the other.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

The oil cooler is on the passenger side. That may have something to do with it. I'd say the rest is just the paint characteristics between the two calipers. Mine for instance are brown on the passenger side and pink on the driver(where the clear coat has fallen off). So I"m thinking that it's the clear coat that is burning and discoloring.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My passenger side caliper is noticeably darker than the driver side one as well.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
My passenger side caliper is noticeably darker than the driver side one as well.
Well that makes me feel a little better. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

ditto, oil cooler.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
Same here.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Won't they replace peeling calipers. That is, if you can set foot in a dealership without setting off the "racer alarm." I hear they have them in the high end dealerships now.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

?? I had a four of my calipers replaced last fall for peeling. The dealer seemed to overlook the fact that the original front calipers were brown and I had race rubber mounted when I took it in.

Back on topic, since everyone else has the same thing happening, I'm no longer worried about it. On to the next problem.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
?? I had a four of my calipers replaced last fall for peeling. The dealer seemed to overlook the fact that the original front calipers were brown and I had race rubber mounted when I took it in.

Back on topic, since everyone else has the same thing happening, I'm no longer worried about it. On to the next problem.
haha, wtf. thats not even right.

I'm debating about going in for my 20k service (free) with mine, seeing as it's got a roll-bar, and shell seats, and by then i'm not sure theres anything stock on it... and i'll be sporting 275 rubber.

OT: If you have any vids from any of the tracks you run up north, i'd love to see them.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Better yet, I did mine with 34k on the clock. The rears were actually replaced after 36k, because they were back ordered. I only have some in-car from Nelson Ledges a couple of years ago, but I've never taken it off tape to the computer. One of these days I will get around to doing it. I need to get a good mount, probably soon since a roll bar is next on the list.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

haha, nice.

i'm using the io-port one, and it works great for me.

http://www.warmpepsi.com/evoMR/IMG_4686.jpg
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Mine are doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure from all the heat from tracking the car it's bound to happen.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

My drivers side caliper shows slight yellowing on the "Brembo" with an almost normal red. My passenger side is an orange-brown "Brembo" with a maroon red. The oil cooler is a great guess.

The COBB time-attack STi was discoloring unevenly so I will look to see if there was anything obstructing it.

A friend's 2000 2.5RS with full USDM STi drivetrain is discoloring his Brembos equally on both sides.

-Jon
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Martin's calipers on his street evo are now fully blackbos, and this weekend I turned the Stoptechs maroon... (took two one lap of americas, another 3 track days, and two time trial weekends to do it though.. where I turned a set of OEM Brembos brown in 60 laps on a soft braking track.

Jon K
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I know the tires on the outside (for example, the left side of the car when running a clockwise track) work harder than the inside tires. Is it possible that the same is true for the brakes? Especially if you trail-brake, so that the outside wheels are being braked for a longer distance than the inside wheels, due to the car's arc? Just a thought.

My calipers are all brown, but then I have tracked my EVO at about 60 - 65 track days since Oct. '04. I have been through a lot of Performance Friction and Project mU pads in that time.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Jul 24, 2006 at 06:05 PM.