Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

oil temps

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
^ Are you sure? In most cases the thermostat is open during the first lap and stays open because the temps are always high. You can have it open sooner but it wont make any difference.

A stat shouldn't stay open. It closes when the cooler liquid contacts it, keeping it in the block until it reaches temp. Then does it all over again... If the stat would stay open, you would overheat for sure as the water has to stay in the radiator for a while to cool down.

Doc

Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Doc- What temps should we shooting for on the track? I hear that we want to hit 100c to get rid of moisture and such but don't want to go much hotter? Whats the ideal condition for a motor?

Oddly I rarely get over 100c and if I do its back down to 90c or so by the time I get into the paddock after a session. I don't mind the quick cool down but fear that I'm actually not getting hot enough at times. Is this reality?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Seeing that my old brain is still on F. for temps.... If you are running a Premium Petroleum oil, 225-235 is it's Upper Lubricating Limits..

After that, I have to be cautiousas too many people call every Mobil 1, Castrol SynTec and the rest of the Hydro-Cracked Products "Synthetic"

So, this is going to be strictly for AMSOIL..... I wouldn't worry until 265.. and that is not so much for the oil temp.. your coolant temps are probably way above where they need to be... I have run over 270 on my MotorCycle. But it does shorten the life of the oil.

So... 225-235 Degrees F.

Doc
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

D.... sorry I cut the other reply off...BTW.... Nice looking website.. I'll have to check it out a little more and see what you guys are up to...

Yes, it is possible to be too cool, but, although I work in F.... 100C is 210 degrees which is considered operating temp.. where the oil is designed to run, 210, until it's upper lubricating limits, can be a fine line.. I normally run about 210-220 on my bike with AMSOIL Racing oil, so those occassional 270's don't bother me.

Doc
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dsycks
Oddly I rarely get over 100c and if I do its back down to 90c or so by the time I get into the paddock after a session. I don't mind the quick cool down but fear that I'm actually not getting hot enough at times. Is this reality?
Really? Do you have stock radiator, stock oil cooler, stock front bumper? What are you using as a gauge. Mine shoot to 240F on a Stewart Warner gauge whenever I run the car hard, even on a 60 degree day, but generally don't go past that. On a cool down lap they fall to 210ish in a couple minutes. Stock everything from a cooling standpoint.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

On my car all of that is stock. My first track day I used redline and had some high temps but switched to Mobile 1 and the temps went down.

Sadly as has been pointed out Mobile 1 is now differently formulated and not of the same quality and I am just about out of old stock. Time for me to find something new.

Amsoil is highly thought of and I am of the idea that DTM uses it in their TT cars I may be switching in that direction myself.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
On my car all of that is stock. My first track day I used redline and had some high temps but switched to Mobile 1 and the temps went down.

Sadly as has been pointed out Mobile 1 is now differently formulated and not of the same quality and I am just about out of old stock. Time for me to find something new.

Amsoil is highly thought of and I am of the idea that DTM uses it in their TT cars I may be switching in that direction myself.
If you are running 5W-30 or 10W-30, I will highly recommend the AMSOIL 0W-30 ... A very Superior 30 wgt lubricant.

Doc
Old Jun 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
A stat shouldn't stay open. It closes when the cooler liquid contacts it, keeping it in the block until it reaches temp. Then does it all over again... If the stat would stay open, you would overheat for sure as the water has to stay in the radiator for a while to cool down.

Doc

I don't think the coolant ever drops to cruising temp when lapping the car. It constantly flows. There is plenty of heat transfer to prevent over heating but it certainly doesn't drop to stat temp.

I'm not talking a 50 second autox I'm talking 30 minute lapping sessions and driving at 100%.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

my water is rock solid.

I have 2 oil coolers now.

we took timing out of the car, i know we are running safe. AFR's are safe too.

we customized the DP away from the oil pan.

we put a thick heat reflector sheild on oil pan.

100-105f outside, prolly hotter on pavement.

.... I am still over heating.

It has to make a difference where the oil temp sender is located. Where have you guys put yours? Mine is by oil filter, right before oil goes into oil cooler.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

What are you calling overheating ? What Brand and Viscosity oil are you using ?

Doc
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

How did you heat shield the oil pan? Stick on heat shielding or some sort of metal shield?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
What are you calling overheating ? What Brand and Viscosity oil are you using ?

Doc
Amsoil 20-50, built engine.

it goes up quickly once I start hot lapping.... 90-110c during highway cruising, then it jumps 140c plus once I hit the track & start abusing ma bischle.

n
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
How did you heat shield the oil pan? Stick on heat shielding or some sort of metal shield?
yea, super good, thick adhesive style heat padding....

n
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
It would have been interesting to see what the temp differences are after the coolers, before and after you upgraded them.

I would imagine the after-cooler oil temps are much lower now.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
It would have been interesting to see what the temp differences are after the coolers, before and after you upgraded them.

I would imagine the after-cooler oil temps are much lower now.
it almost seems, that no matter what, the oil is 140 and up before hitting the oil cooler... no matter how much you cool the oil.

we are going to relocate the temp sender to get a 'medium' reading.. but these temps are worrying me.

I have seen 140c meny times before, this is not uncommon... atleast not for me.

Accusump system up next... oil pressure dips way down when during hard G' right hand sweepeers, thats gotta hurt.

n

Quick Reply: oil temps