Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AutoPower Roll Bar question...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkyle
anyone weld in the plates?
Post #12 in this thread. TCdesign fab does.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broeli
Only two bolts per plate holding it in? I would think they'd make it so it could be bolted on each side of the bar.
If you think about it the way it would flex would be non bolted side down, meaning that it would be up to the strength of the floor to keep it secure/safe, which I think is legit.

Scorke
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went the extra little bit and using some epoxy underneath it, so that i got a more complete "footprint" persay.

An autopower is not a race bar, or legal in any compeition event that needs a real cage, but it's a great item for us normal joes that go and beat the crap outta our cars on the weekends.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi

An autopower is not a race bar, or legal in any compeition event that needs a real cage, but it's a great item for us normal joes that go and beat the crap outta our cars on the weekends.
Sure it is. Meets SCCA at least.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Sure it is. Meets SCCA at least.
for wheel to wheel? or like time trial stuff.

I'd never trust this thing in wheel to wheel, esp after seeing the mid-ohio flips.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno. Why is my high speed rollover any less serious than one in a full race-prepped car? It's my life and I think I want more than "normal Joe" protection. The problem is that a good custom cage is prohibitively expensive. Decisions, decisions ...

Another question. I carry up to 4 wheels/tires in the back seat when driving to the track. Will the bolt-in cage prevent that?

Last edited by Richard EVO; Jul 18, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I dunno. Why is my high speed rollover any less serious than one in a full race-prepped car? It's my life and I think I want more than "average Joe" protection. The problem is that a good custom cage is prohibitively expensive. Decisions, decisions ...
i agree, but a cage in a car thats even remotely street driven is a super no-no.

and my car sees minor street duty, so a full cage (plus the price) is not an option.

I put mine in, because i wanted a harness bar for a camera mount, and it was roughly the same cost to put something that will actually help the car in a roll-over, compared to a harness bar.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
for wheel to wheel? or like time trial stuff.

I'd never trust this thing in wheel to wheel, esp after seeing the mid-ohio flips.
From I/O port:

"Are your roll bars and cages legal for racing?

Most of our roll bars and cages meet the SCCA, NASA and IMSA rules. Many road race sanctioning bodies follow the SCCA rules or they are not as strict. Please consult your rule book. Legality will depend not only on the design of the roll bar or cage, but also on the type of tubing used. Legality will also depend upon your class!"

http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/rollbar.htm

Another question. I carry up to 4 wheels/tires in the back seat when driving to the track. Will the bolt-in cage prevent that?
Autopower ones have that horz bar bend before it comes into the main hoop so you won't be able to fit wheels through the backdoor and sides of the rollbar. If you take the passenger seat out, you can lift the wheels over the horz bar and drop them behind the bar.

With a rollbar with a straight horz bar (like TCdesignfab) you can fit the wheels through the side of the rollbar via the back doors. Only 3 will fit in the back that way. 1 in the trunk, and only up to 255 wide tires. 275's and certain 265's will not fit and you would have to do it the autopower way. You could fit a 4th in the rear if u recline the passenger seat all the way enough to get the 4th through the front of the car and over the horz bar. It's a major pita and will kill your back if you do it often enough.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Pepsi -

Ok, I guess that makes sense. What about carrying wheels/tires inside the car wit the autopower cage?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

From I/O port:

Most of our roll bars and cages meet the SCCA, NASA and IMSA rules. Many road race sanctioning bodies follow the SCCA rules or they are not as strict. Please consult your rule book. Legality will depend not only on the design of the roll bar or cage, but also on the type of tubing used. Legality will also depend upon your class!"

Autopower ones have that horz bar bend before it comes into the main hoop so you won't be able to fit wheels through the backdoor and sides of the rollbar. If you take the passenger seat out, you can lift the wheels over the horz bar and drop them behind the bar.

With a rollbar with a straight horz bar (like TCdesignfab) you can fit the wheels through the side of the rollbar via the back doors. Only 3 will fit in the back that way. 1 in the trunk, and only up to 255 wide tires. 275's and certain 265's will not fit and you would have to do it the autopower way. You could fit a 4th in the rear if u recline the passenger seat all the way enough to get the 4th through the front of the car and over the horz bar. It's a major pita and will kill your back if you do it often enough.
yes, but you need a CAGE, not just a bar for those instances.

And their bolt in, or weld in cages, are approved.

but we have bars, bolt in. no cages here.

i don't store tires inside, i trailer the car to events.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

From I/O port:

Thanks. Great answer from someone who knows from experience
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Great answer from someone who knows from experience
dude, i have to give it to you, that is by far, the best quote i've heard in a while.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

The Autopower bar is not legal for competition. the Autopower CAGE is legal for competition in SCCA and NASA. You can convert the Bar to a cage with a weld-in kit for lest than 400.00.
The problem then would be that it would be impossible to transporttires to an event. right now with the autopower bar and no passenger seat, I can put 2 wheels int eh trunk, and 2 in the front seat area with ease. The rest of my gear goes in the back where the rear seat was.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Percywork
The Autopower bar is not legal for competition. the Autopower CAGE is legal for competition in SCCA and NASA. You can convert the Bar to a cage with a weld-in kit for lest than 400.00.
The problem then would be that it would be impossible to transporttires to an event. right now with the autopower bar and no passenger seat, I can put 2 wheels int eh trunk, and 2 in the front seat area with ease. The rest of my gear goes in the back where the rear seat was.

Are you sure the "u weld in cage" is legal for Nasa / SCCA ? I thought SCCA required nascar side impact cage style. I dont think this one is.

Last edited by kingkyle; Jul 19, 2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Are you sure the "u weld in cage" is legal for Nasa / SCCA ? I thought SCCA required nascar side impact cage style. I dont think this one is.
They do not require NASCAR bars. in fact, nascar bars on a street car have been being discussed as far less safe than a bent out X.

My autopower should be in soon, I was anticipating removing the passenger seat and power lifting the wheels into the back.

Quick Reply: AutoPower Roll Bar question...