Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Question for guys that change tires at the track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for guys that change tires at the track

What do you use to loosen the lug nuts? Is there a torque wrench that goes clockwise and counter clockwise?

i had the most difficult time loosening the lug nuts
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

im not an evo, but i would recommend a tire cross, and when at the track bring a floor jack, loosen the lugs on the ground then lift the car and then bring a tq wrench and act like your changing a spare tire, then easily done
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use my 1/2" breaker bar, then lift one side, zip 'em off with the impact gun, then hand thread them back on, zip' em all the way on with the impact gun, then torque to 80-81 ft-lbs with my 1/2" torque wrench. It should be very very easy to loosen lugnuts if they are properly torqued. 80 ft-lbs is light enough to loosen them even if the wheel is off the ground and spinning freely.

Yes, my torque wrench is usable in either direction, but I don't use it to loosen the lugs.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lug nuts

Use either an impact gun to take them off or use a long extension. I have used a hollow bar that slide over the lug nut wrench to give the leverage...

The when tightening, use a torque wrench so they are not over-tight...
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

i do that, but even with a cross wrench it's still a pain if the lugs are torqued too tight which happens when shops use impact guns. i'm just wondering if there's a tool out there that can make it easy to take lug nuts off.

I borrowed a torque wrench from someone at the track that you could use both ways, but forgot to ask the brand. I went to sears to get one from craftsman, but apparantly they don't make one that can go anticlock wise (ie to loosen)

thanks
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have one from craftsman that goes both ways, i think they were bs'ing you
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I use a Gorilla lug wrench to break them free http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products...=270&sfID2=285

A harbor freight rechargable impact wrench to spin them off and on really fast and a torque wrench to torque them down.

The impact wrench saves tons of time.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

what brand torque wrench is it and how much does it cost?

also do you have a wireless impact gun that you use at the track?

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I use my 1/2" breaker bar, then lift one side, zip 'em off with the impact gun, then hand thread them back on, zip' em all the way on with the impact gun, then torque to 80-81 ft-lbs with my 1/2" torque wrench. It should be very very easy to loosen lugnuts if they are properly torqued. 80 ft-lbs is light enough to loosen them even if the wheel is off the ground and spinning freely.

Yes, my torque wrench is usable in either direction, but I don't use it to loosen the lugs.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

torque wrench

Sears is good....

Griot's Garage also sells a really nice one....

www.griotsgarage.com

Either way you will be fine. Usually the jack arm (if hollow) can be used as an extension for your wrench when loosening the lug nuts. Once properly torqued it should not be an issue (although after racing sometimes the lug nuts can get pretty tight...).
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

thanks. the local Discount tire actually sells that Gorilla lug wrench. i thought it was BS so i never bought it. i'll get that this week.

also can you post the model of your impact wrench. i can't seem to find it when googling.

thanks

Originally Posted by razorlab
I use a Gorilla lug wrench to break them free http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products...=270&sfID2=285

A harbor freight rechargable impact wrench to spin them off and on really fast and a torque wrench to torque them down.

The impact wrench saves tons of time.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

you are thinking of a wireless card

rechargeable impact gun :-)
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

they ussually have the cordless's on eBay, for like 40 and above or local pep boys from goodyear racing for like 50
Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KZEVO
what brand torque wrench is it and how much does it cost?

also do you have a wireless impact gun that you use at the track?
Looks like Razorlab and I do the same thing except that I've never heard of a lug wrench, but I'm sure that's a nice tool. My long 1/2" breaker is great, too.

KZ, I actually don't know the brand, because it was included along with a bunch of other tools when I bought my last DSM ('93 TSi AWD) back in 2001. I got rid of the car but kept the wrench and still use it to this day.

My impact wrench is definitely cordless and is made by Ridgid, which is the Home Depot brand. It is really powerful, and the batteries last quite a while when charged. It has 2 large rechargeable batteries, and I keep them both charged up so that I can quickly and easily change my tires at the track with no hiccups. I do this ALL THE TIME, so it's extremely helpful. In fact, I did the whole switch from street to race tires in 10mins one time when I was about tomiss my heat at an autocross. Normally, I just take my time, but it's still less than half the time it used to take.
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by KZEVO
What do you use to loosen the lug nuts? Is there a torque wrench that goes clockwise and counter clockwise?

i had the most difficult time loosening the lug nuts
I run 100lbs at the track, I have had anything less than that come loose and I run 90 on the street. Get a good torque wrench such as this one:
http://www.procarestores.com/product...s_id=006070120

and an electric impact like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/V28-Milwaukee-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

these are both their respective best in category, you can get cheaper stuff (but the you would have settled for a STi and not bought an EVO )
Evolved Member

haha...yeah rechargable not wireless

Originally Posted by nothere
you are thinking of a wireless card

rechargeable impact gun :-)

Quick Reply: Question for guys that change tires at the track