Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Not to mention I have a couple buddies here in NorCal that go to the track just as much as me and are just as quick and hard on the car as me. I'm the only one with his gearbox at TRE right now.

They all have 5spds. I have a broken 6spd. Some of them even have more track miles then my car does.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Not to mention I have a couple buddies here in NorCal that go to the track just as much as me and are just as quick and hard on the car as me. I'm the only one with his gearbox at TRE right now.

They all have 5spds. I have a broken 6spd. Some of them even have more track miles then my car does.
Man, do I feel bad for you, I really do. I know how you feel. I have been through this while leading a race and ended up with a broken tranny AND crashed the car since I was too dumb or competetive (take your pick) to pull into the pits after my tranny broke.

IMO, Get a five speed in your Evo and do it once, but do it right no matter how much it costs. In the long run it will save you money. Try to use the 6 speed as part of the payment to Jon on a 5 speed. There might be some who insist on having a rebuilt 6 speed.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Doh, did the tranny seize up causing you to crash?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Doh, did the tranny seize up causing you to crash?
Yes. I broke third gear (weakest on SE-Rs) and started shifting from 2nd to 4th. There were two laps left and I was in the lead. I did not want to give up. But the tranny gave up and would not shift into 2nd from 4th as I was coming around a corner. Hellooooo, tire wall That was at Cal Speedway.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, perhaps some exhaust wrapping around the downpipe could help a bit since I know it's so freaking close to the tranny. I know it's a small effort, but it could be enough to maybe keep some heat off of the gears?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for what it's worth, I replaced my plain downpipe with a ceramic barrier coated one from WORKS after I broke my 6sp from overheating, and I have had no problems with the tranny since then (put about 5 auto-x and 3 track days on it). Could be coincidence though ...
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some of us may not be able to afford $4-$6k for a new 5sp transmission. Everyone keeps glazing over the fact that these failures seem do be a direct byproduct of excessive heat. Simply replacing it with the 5sp (though this does work) is the easiest but is still the most expensive solution. It's not the ONLY solution, because we haven't explored everything yet. If an oil cooler or better lubricant keep the temperatures down, the problem (of heat) is solved.

nj1266, your Sentra tranny wasn't ever built for performance, it's from an economy car. I'm not surprised it failed multiple times. The Evo 6sp failures aren't from a lack of strength, they are plenty strong. All we need to do is keep the temps down. That's NOT a band-aid, it's a real solution because excessive heat will kill any transmission. Please stop hounding the 5sp as the only fix, you're not helping the community to make any progress on this matter. Even if Jon from TRE says it's your best bet, it's still not the only bet because other solutions haven't been explored yet. Yes we know it works, but it's terribly expensive and for that reason, other options will develop.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I will be running a Oil cooler no matter what transmission I decide on. I already have the pump and cooler.

Now I am a wee bit worried about my transfercase too.

A new 5spd is $2750 from TRE with his goodies, a 6spd is $4250
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by voidhawk
for what it's worth, I replaced my plain downpipe with a ceramic barrier coated one from WORKS after I broke my 6sp from overheating, and I have had no problems with the tranny since then (put about 5 auto-x and 3 track days on it). Could be coincidence though ...
But you actually bent the shift rail right? I sheared a gear.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I will be running a Oil cooler no matter what transmission I decide on. I already have the pump and cooler.

Now I am a wee bit worried about my transfercase too.

A new 5spd is $2750 from TRE with his goodies, a 6spd is $4250
What cooler and pump are you using?

and you're right, the new 5sp is under $3k. Still I don't want to spend that if I can run a cooler and keep my 6sp in check. I think I'll be looking into getting my DP coated, that sounds like a great idea.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes. This opened my eyes big time to heat and cooling the car. I will be coating my DP, adding a gearbox cooler, upgrading my oil cooler, etc.

I bought:

Tilton pump TIL-40-524 : 4x11x2 - $180
Fluidyne trans cooler FLD-DB-30110 - $95

Haven't got the -AN hoses and connectors yet. That will cost a bit as well. Probably be under $500 for everything. We'll see.

Plus I bought another greddy temp gauge for the transmission.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Finally got some quotes from TRE

Rebuild my 6spd , fab case for oil cooler and temp gauge : $1562

TRE 5spd with everything needed for converting my MR to a 5spd: $3115

Anyone want to buy a broken 6spd?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

over $3k? doh!
Please post some pictures or ask Jon to post some good pics showing where the hoses are mounted and the temp gauge and eveything is being placed. I will likely follow suit pending your setup works effectively. It may be possible (if this really works to control temps) for a vendor to sell as a complete package minus labor and installation to be performed by an audacious garage mechanic or a shop like TRE.

Where are you planning to install the temp gauge sensor?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, ouch.

keep us in the know, and if you can, find out the size and pitch of the tranny drain plug.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Honestly, without driving the 6 speed with the tranny cooler, it will be hard to know if it's a heat issue or a weak 4th gear issue.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?