Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that would be nice, but I can't say I'd know how/what to install. Would I just tap into the drain plug or something kinda like my stock oil temp sensor? It would be nice to have some empirical data like that, espeically with the pump on and off...or before and after.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
that'd be good, any thoughts of putting a gauge to meter temp while doing it? just to see what kinda temps we're talking.
To build upon that, it would be even better to put a temp gauge on before the install, go out for a track day and note temps. Then after the install of the tranny cooler, got out for a track day and note temps .... that would sorta tell us if it is even helping ... ofcourse there are many factors that can affect the readings ...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, that would be nice, but I can't say I'd know how/what to install. Would I just tap into the drain plug or something kinda like my stock oil temp sensor? It would be nice to have some empirical data like that, espeically with the pump on and off...or before and after.
well, if you're installing a cooler, that means you're getting flow. Just get a water or oil temp gauge, and have it connect in on the hotside of your flow.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
To build upon that, it would be even better to put a temp gauge on before the install, go out for a track day and note temps. Then after the install of the tranny cooler, got out for a track day and note temps .... that would sorta tell us if it is even helping ... ofcourse there are many factors that can affect the readings ...
100% agreed.

I really hadn't even thought of this being an issue, honestly. I mean, i'm going 3/4/5..../4/3.....4...../3....... etc.

I'd have thought i'd have leveled off. Is there any way to know what a "hot" temp is for the tranny?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

To add to this when I was @ One Lap this year @ MAM, Martin from AMS mentioned the tranny fluid from the AMS car had heated up so much that it shot out??? Not sure what he meant by that, because the EVO trannys don't have a dip stick like the WRX trannys, maybe they had a gauge installed??? He said that the splitter they had, which also served as an uncarriage cover wasn't allowing the heatsinks on the tranny to function properly as there was little to no air flow through the fins. Just a heads up for all you EVO owners out there, try to keep your tranny's cool.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

very interesting. I had planned to get the fluid changed after this season, but now i do have a slight bit of concern, that i'd never even thought of.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add to this when I was @ One Lap this year @ MAM, Martin from AMS mentioned the tranny fluid from the AMS car had heated up so much that it shot out??? Not sure what he meant by that, because the EVO trannys don't have a dip stick like the WRX trannys, maybe they had a gauge installed??? He said that the splitter they had, which also served as an uncarriage cover wasn't allowing the heatsinks on the tranny to function properly as there was little to no air flow through the fins. Just a heads up for all you EVO owners out there, try to keep your tranny's cool.
Martin and I also talked about that at Putnam Park during OLA. There is a vent on top of the tranny that the fluid was coming out of when the fluid got too hot.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Martin and I also talked about that at Putnam Park during OLA. There is a vent on top of the tranny that the fluid was coming out of when the fluid got too hot.
then it'd be real easy for it to get hot, come in cool down, then be completely low on fluid.

Having never checked it, ....how do we check it?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
The only logical explanation that I can think of for my 4th gear failure is heat. I don't drag the car, I don't launch it, I just open track it. Given, I do beat the car pretty hard on track. The car has lots of grip so lots of stress on the gears coming out of corners. Thunderhill is also approx 80% 4th gear.

I won't know for certain until its out of the car and opened up. I am also going to drain my fluid this weekend and see what it looks like.

Still deciding if I am going to pull the trans myself (PITA) or have someone do it.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
The only logical explanation that I can think of for my 4th gear failure is heat. I don't drag the car, I don't launch it, I just open track it. Given, I do beat the car pretty hard on track. The car has lots of grip so lots of stress on the gears coming out of corners. Thunderhill is also approx 80% 4th gear.

I won't know for certain until its out of the car and opened up. I am also going to drain my fluid this weekend and see what it looks like.

Still deciding if I am going to pull the trans myself (PITA) or have someone do it.
let us know man, pics, insight, the whole 9.

best of luck
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

razorlab good luck and let us know what you find out ... in you list of mods what does CG stand for? Also when you say beat on the car, did you slam the gears? Just trying to get a better picture ...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

in you list of mods what does CG stand for?
Since it's listed after his cams, I'm going to say "cam gears"...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
razorlab good luck and let us know what you find out ... in you list of mods what does CG stand for? Also when you say beat on the car, did you slam the gears? Just trying to get a better picture ...
CG= cam gears

Beating on the car meaning driving it hard for 5 to 6 20-30min sessions a track event at WOT.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Warm Pepsi was asking about how to check the Tranny fluid level. As I change this sucker after every track event, I guess I've become something of an expert (unwillingly). On the MR (6-speed), you just need to remove the upper fill plug (10mm Allen drive) and use a hand pump to add more fluid. If fluid immediately runs back out of the fill hole, it's full. If it doesn't, keep pumping until it does. Obviously if the fluid has been used hard and your getting the car jacked up or put on a lift, you might as well change it while your under there. Find the lower drain plug (also 10mm), drain it, put the drain plug back in, open the fill plug and fill until if overflows. Done deal.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 MR
Warm Pepsi was asking about how to check the Tranny fluid level. As I change this sucker after every track event, I guess I've become something of an expert (unwillingly). On the MR (6-speed), you just need to remove the upper fill plug (10mm Allen drive) and use a hand pump to add more fluid. If fluid immediately runs back out of the fill hole, it's full. If it doesn't, keep pumping until it does. Obviously if the fluid has been used hard and your getting the car jacked up or put on a lift, you might as well change it while your under there. Find the lower drain plug (also 10mm), drain it, put the drain plug back in, open the fill plug and fill until if overflows. Done deal.
hrm, that sounds pretty idiot proof.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?