Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
1- how would you know when the case is "full", I assume do the math to figure the added volume of the pump, hoses, and radiator unit?
TRE told me to fill the trans , then turn the pump on, let it prime and fill the cooler and lines. Then fill the trans till its full again, rinse and repeat until fluid is always coming out the trans fill like how you would normally fill the trans.

2- would running without the pump turned on cause a problem by overfilling the transmission case?
I had this concern too but after looking into the specs of the Tilton pump I am using, it uses a diaphragm that won't let much drain back in if the pump is not on. Also, the way I have my return line on top of the trans the fluid would have to go up without the pump on to get back into the case, and the diaphragm should stop it from draining back through the pick up line. Again, after I get off my lazy *** and actually get everything installed I will have more information for everyone.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
TRE told me to fill the trans , then turn the pump on, let it prime and fill the cooler and lines. Then fill the trans till its full again, rinse and repeat until fluid is always coming out the trans fill like how you would normally fill the trans.

I had this concern too but after looking into the specs of the Tilton pump I am using, it uses a diaphragm that won't let much drain back in if the pump is not on. Also, the way I have my return line on top of the trans the fluid would have to go up without the pump on to get back into the case, and the diaphragm should stop it from draining back through the pick up line. Again, after I get off my lazy *** and actually get everything installed I will have more information for everyone.
well then, get off your ***!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doh! thanks for the corrrection. I could have sworn one of the BG's are dino.
BG I is non-syn. I also read that OEM Diaqueen 75w85 6-speed gear oil is fully synthetic. I just forget where I read it so you can take it for what it's worth.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

I run this set up on my Evo race car for 40 minute national races and many more practice laps and quals. Basically, I put 4 quarts in and that amount seems to be just right. I have not always run the pump for practice sessions (mainly because I forgot) and it does not hurt a thing, the pump is very very loud so youll know if it is on.
Marty
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
the pump is very very loud so youll know if it is on.
Marty
yea one of the reasons I don't want it on all the time, espically the street. I heard it can also vibrate like a mother.

I am going to try and wire it to my foglight switch so the little fog light icon lights up on the dash when it's on so I know for sure it's on or off. We'll see if that switch works.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
yea one of the reasons I don't want it on all the time, espically the street. I heard it can also vibrate like a mother. ...
If you aren't already using rubber isolation pads, you might want to try that if the vibration gets too annoying.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
If you aren't already using rubber isolation pads, you might want to try that if the vibration gets too annoying.
It comes with it's own rubber grommets around the screw holes. I'm looking to mount it under the MAF onto the "frame rail". It's the best place I could find for it since all the ACD junk is in the way in the drivers fenderwell and I didn't want it blocking airflow to the oil cooler. This also makes all the hoses much shorter as the pump will be about 4" from the discharge inlet into the trans, approx 12" from the pickup by the drain hole, and about 6" to 12" from the cooler itself.

The con about mounting it under the MAF is that I can't ever upgrade to the more straight IC pipes that route right through there. Oh well.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me you wont need a light to know its on, it is that loud once you run fluid through it. The insulator doesnt help much at all, id put it on but I couldnt tell much difference from mine without the bushings to my buddies with. I never run my pump on the street (yes my car is still streel legal). Its just way too loud and annoying to run around town, strictly a track use thing. As for lines, I went with the longest lines I could get on the car, mine total over 10 feet, the reason? more fluid
Marty

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Nov 15, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey i was wondering, Do you think running a lightened flywheel would make a differance? On and off the throttle through turns or straight line, wouldnt it help in putting less stress on the transmission?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I had a lightweight chromoly flywheel when mine went out.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:27 PM
EvoM Guru

As for lines, I went with the longest lines I could get on the car, mine total over 10 feet, the reason? more fluid
Marty
/me slaps forehead. Genius!

I'm going to wrap mine around the crash beam like 10x!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would you say razor's unit is substantial enough?
Man where is this thread heading?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamflex
Hey i was wondering, Do you think running a lightened flywheel would make a differance? On and off the throttle through turns or straight line, wouldnt it help in putting less stress on the transmission?
not really. the torque the engine produces compounds the heat buildup. a lightened flywheel wouldn't change that as the gears are not under heavy stress off-throttle.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I run this set up on my Evo race car for 40 minute national races and many more practice laps and quals.
I assume you're running the 5sp? And I'd also assume you've done some other work to the transmission as well including periodic overhauls...
Old Nov 16, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

I assume you're running the 5sp? And I'd also assume you've done some other work to the transmission as well including periodic overhauls...
Yes, I have the 5 speed. In T2 class you have to keep the transmission stock so that is what ive done. I do change the fluid often especially after running a high speed track like VIR or Pocono. If you do this, the transmission should hold up just fine. I also slowed down my 4-5 shift as the only issue I had with the trans was 5th gear synchro that I had to replace. Now that I change the fluid regularly and slowed that shift down, it is good to go. knock on wood

Marty

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?