Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know razorlab talked about making a kit but I haven't heard anything. The only thing that sucks is we have to use our fill and drain plug, where as those who had there tranny fixed, have it so the cold tranny fluid actually shoots onto 4th gear. I still think it would be way better then not having one, and if someone made a kit I would be interested.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it shouldnt matter as long as the fluid is circulating it will be ok
thats like saying you will make a cool spot on a radiator by putting a fan in one area
it might work but its still circulates everywhere else
just my 2 cents
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

Originally Posted by meanmud
There was talk of TRE or Shep making one?? How about AMS putting out a complete kit - Marty, any talk of this?
Guys,
I've been remiss in putting together the complete setup etc. for Martin (AMS). I'm sure they would want to further engineer the setup and maybe fab brackets etc., but I'll get my act together and follow through. For those that can't wait I think most of the basic pieces are listed somewhere in this thread.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe either 5-speed or the 6-speed don't come with a cooler from the factory. Yes, the 5-speed is stronger in those last gears, but I doubt the temps are very different between the 6-speed and the 5-speed. I recall someone posting 220 F after a just few laps, which way too high. I think I'll try to get a trans temp gauge to see where I'm at even for hard street use. I bet they can get up there.

This has got me thinking about straight-cut gears. What about just having 4th and possibly 5th straight-cut? Too bad no one would do this unless the tranny has a problem in the first place.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt the 5sp is any cooler either, but it has a wider profile for the upper gears ao they withstand the temps better.

Stragith cut gears are an option for the 5sp, but nobody makes them for the 6sp.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
I doubt the 5sp is any cooler either, but it has a wider profile for the upper gears ao they withstand the temps better.
Agreed 100%.

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
Stragith cut gears are an option for the 5sp, but nobody makes them for the 6sp.
Anyone have experience straight cut gears in the 5sp or any trans for that matter? Well, besides a reverse gear for you smart asses. What I know about them is that they are stronger, not quite as smooth, and sexy loud (I like noises ). I've heard they wear faster though, which would suck.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone know where to get a tranny cooler?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Bumpin the thread for more info (Razorlab specifically) on if/how the Tranny cooler worked on a trackday.

-Ryan
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I think Razorlab went with a 5-speed, or atleast purchased one.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Yes, I have purchased a stage 2 TRE 5spd to replace my 6spd.

I never got around to putting the cooler on but I could post some possible specs if there is interest.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't find a transmission cooler kit 'off the shelf' when I looked last year. Everyone I asked just offered to put a kit together from catalog items.

Transmission coolers and fluid pumps are available in a huge range of sizes, quite cheaply from places like Speedway, Pegasus, and Summit. You have to plumb it yourself, but lines and adapters are also easily available from the these places. You'll will also have to mount the cooler and pump which likely means fabricating some brackets to mount it in the front left corner of the car.

Is it worth it? I was told when I was building my 5sp race car that it wouldn't make it through the 25 Hour without a cooler. I made it without one. Actually, I'm still using that original transmission after 1yr HPDE, 2yr Racing, and the 25hr. I don't think it's worth the hassle unless you are pushing more than 4xx whp? in a road racing environment.

I should note that everyone who drives my car takes it easy on the transmission since they're expensive. Everyone also learns how to heel-toe since I've found the quality of the heel-toe to be the biggest determining factor in how long a transmission lasts in any race car.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:52 PM
Account Disabled

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Sep 10, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Posted from wrong account
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
David,

This thread is about the 6spd which is a whole nother' animal than the 5spd.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yes, I have purchased a stage 2 TRE 5spd to replace my 6spd.

I never got around to putting the cooler on but I could post some possible specs if there is interest.
Id really appreciate some specs/info. I am not at the point where Id want to switch to a 5spd, reasons being cost, time and all around hassle. Going into next season, I am planning to do TT-A so figure four 25 minute sessions. I am HOPING that with a great cooler setup as well as fresh fluid I can manage thru the season.

BTW, my car currently has 9k miles, with 7 trackdays on it.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to see the tranny cooler specs also!

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?