Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzbiasmr
im a quarter mile track *****, next spring ill be looking for mid 9's to high 9's with the 2.3 37r setup. The 35r isnt enough right now.
I would talk to TTP, I believe he broke 4th as well, but drag racing.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I loved the BG2, it was butter, and even after killing my 4th gear I could go into every gear, including 4th just like before.

Again, I will let everyone know after we get the tranny apart what the exact reason was.
The work of a tranny fluid is a tricky one. On one hand it has to provide lubrication for the gears and keep them cool, on the other hand it has to provide the necessary friction for the synchros to function well. A fluid that has more friction will allow the synchros to function well but may not provide the necessary lubrication for the gears. I wonder if that is why your tranny gave up 4th. Anyways please keep this post updated with what you hear from Jon@TRE or like Warmpepsi you can PM me.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Razor,

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll be interested to hear what problem was. I remember
one of the major tranny guys tore a MR apart and he said that gears 1-2 where thicker
on the MR then the 5 speed but that 3-4-5 where thinner. So it could be a design flaw
and the lack of cooling I'm sure doesn't help. I wonder is mitsu would say bye bye to
warranty if you installed a tranny cooler?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mike01gsr: you are correct it was GEARS aka "Jon@TRE" that posted that ...

For those of you that missed it:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&page=5&pp=15

Read the post in the middle of the page towards the end he mentions that using thinner oils while helping shifting will not help the gears in the tranny. That is why I will only use stock fluid in my tranny.

As far as I know, while talking to the old DSM in my region he mentioned that using devices that pre-lubes the cams, etc, accusumps and turbo timers were recommended and wouldn't void the warranty because it was helping protect the car. But I don't know what the new DSM will say. I'll try and find out and let everyone know.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Warranty? What warranty? haha. I am far beyond that at this point.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Warranty? What warranty? haha. I am far beyond that at this point.
haha, maybe i should take the car in, rollbar/r-comps and all,

warranty, hehe.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

I'll bump this, as i guess i'll be swapping tranny fluid before the next even (never have).

Where do you guys pick up the mitsu spec stuff? dealer? (haha)

edit: and a pump?!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I've been checking in, any info on the tranny cooler set-up?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WarmPepsi, you can get stock stuff for a good price at MitsubishiParts.net. They have the Super DiaQueen GL-4 for the MR tranny ($77?) and the DiaQueen LSD Oil GL-5 for the t-case and rear diff ($33 - enough for both).
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Update. Box from TRE is in route to my place right now. The tranny will come out and go in the box. Spoke to Jon@TRE on the phone. Nice guy and knows way too much about gears.

Jon will be rebuilding the box and doing all his magic pixie dust fixes. He is also going to be fabbing the Tranny cooler connections and a temp gauge probe connection. I am putting together the needed items for the cooler right now.

I'll let you know what Jon finds once he cracks open the case.

He told me I need to change my fluid before every event because I am obviously driving the car hard enough to warrant it. Jon said stock fluid is great and BG2 like I have been using is fine as well.

I'll take photos of the cooler routing and mounting points once it's in.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
WarmPepsi, you can get stock stuff for a good price at MitsubishiParts.net. They have the Super DiaQueen GL-4 for the MR tranny ($77?) and the DiaQueen LSD Oil GL-5 for the t-case and rear diff ($33 - enough for both).
gotcha, thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

I am a major track h0 with my MR. I have about 7000 miles and many events, no issues yet but I changed ALL of my fluids to be safe. I am going to try to do it every couple of track events from now on to be safe.

150$ of fluid > 2000$ for a rebuild
Old Jul 21, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, i ordered the tranny stuff, i like my tranny
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

STRONGER MR TRANNIES and INFO

I have been running the DTM EVO MR at several track events and time attacks this year with no issues.

It is not recommended to run more than 30 minutes flat out in any car without the proper upgrades to cooling system, tranny and diff. Many times the type of gear oil you use is very important to the longevity of the tranny.

Make sure you get clean shifts in every gear or your syncros will wear out very fast especially in road racing conditions. Clutch choice is also important. It is important to stay away from heavy pressure plate clutches since you don't get 100% release at higher rpm's (6000 +). The MR Tranny is a delicate tranny so it is wise to invest in a high quality twin disc clutch (stay away from the Exedy Twin Disc) for quick release and less inertia on the main shaft of the tranny.

DTM has developed a special synthetic gear lube that creates a bond with the metal. It is great stuff and the tranny shifts like butter.

We will soon begin to selling complete exchange trannies that are properly coated with stronger syncros & gears. Our prototype tranny is currently in my MR and the results are promising. We will see how demand is before we go into production.

I can't say the same for my twin disk Exedy clutch. That throwout bearing is a piece of junk.

Michael
DTM
Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

When you say stronger gears do you mean same size different material? What
is the estimated cost?

Originally Posted by cul8tr
I have been running the DTM EVO MR at several track events and time attacks this year with no issues.

It is not recommended to run more than 30 minutes flat out in any car without the proper upgrades to cooling system, tranny and diff. Many times the type of gear oil you use is very important to the longevity of the tranny.

Make sure you get clean shifts in every gear or your syncros will wear out very fast especially in road racing conditions. Clutch choice is also important. It is important to stay away from heavy pressure plate clutches since you don't get 100% release at higher rpm's (6000 +). The MR Tranny is a delicate tranny so it is wise to invest in a high quality twin disc clutch (stay away from the Exedy Twin Disc) for quick release and less inertia on the main shaft of the tranny.

DTM has developed a special synthetic gear lube that creates a bond with the metal. It is great stuff and the tranny shifts like butter.

We will soon begin to selling complete exchange trannies that are properly coated with stronger syncros & gears. Our prototype tranny is currently in my MR and the results are promising. We will see how demand is before we go into production.

I can't say the same for my twin disk Exedy clutch. That throwout bearing is a piece of junk.

Michael
DTM

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?