Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by voidhawk
prediction or experience ? I'm asking because I know somebody who uses it and recommended it to me, but I was trying to get some more data points.
Experience. Couple guys here in norcal have asked me why their rear diff makes weird noises and feels like its binding after putting in Redline "75w90" like I recommended.

Then I ask if it says NS on the bottle and they say "yes..oops"

Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Experience. Couple guys here in norcal have asked me why their rear diff makes weird noises and feels like its binding after putting in Redline "75w90" like I recommended.

Then I ask if it says NS on the bottle and they say "yes..oops"

hehe ... that's funny! I don't care about the noise though, and the "binding" is kind of the whole point. I've been complaining to robi that my rear inside tire spins a lot in turns, so he suggested the NS to get some more lock out of the rear diff. Then again I know he beats up his cars a lot so I was wondering if anybody else had seen accelerated wear, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the Motul tranny fluid works fine in the MR tranny even though it says for GL5 also? Would you guys reccomend it over the Diaqueen...it is even cheaper than the Diaqueen too. If you guys were to choose Amsoil or the Motul which one would you choose say over stock Super Diaqueen. Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
So the Motul tranny fluid works fine in the MR tranny even though it says for GL5 also? Would you guys reccomend it over the Diaqueen...it is even cheaper than the Diaqueen too. If you guys were to choose Amsoil or the Motul which one would you choose say over stock Super Diaqueen. Thanks
I have heard no one using Motul in their 6 speed. Most people recommend the OEM SUperDiaQueen...however, I have 60,000 miles on the MOPAR fluid and the results from Blackstone suggest it holds up pretty well. It also solved my 2nd gear notchiness.

The real test would be to track a car with the Motul and then track the same car with SuperDiaQueen. Then, after each track day session you dump the oil, and then send it in to Blackstone and see how they have held up. A visual inspection with a magnetic drain plug would be good too (since the 6 speeds don't have one stock).
Old Nov 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I bought a case of the motul but after researching and finding this thread with the whole gl-4 and gl-5 debate and it not being a EXACT gl-4 75-85 equivalent I have been gun shy on using it. I may try it next year and get it tested.....whats blackstones information?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Click on "Free Test Kit."

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlvalet
I have heard no one using Motul in their 6 speed. Most people recommend the OEM SUperDiaQueen...however, I have 60,000 miles on the MOPAR fluid and the results from Blackstone suggest it holds up pretty well. It also solved my 2nd gear notchiness.
There are a few of us using it - no known failures to date... See my thread above.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet

The real test would be to track a car with the Motul and then track the same car with SuperDiaQueen. Then, after each track day session you dump the oil, and then send it in to Blackstone and see how they have held up. A visual inspection with a magnetic drain plug would be good too (since the 6 speeds don't have one stock).
So how many track days were on that fluid? Isn't that the castrol syntac stuff also? Also I have heard alot of the European guys use the Motul since that is whats available to them. I just want to know if anybody over here has any input on it. Is the superdiaqeen a full synthetic or is it normal petroleum bases. I would think a true estor based oil could handle the templs alot better. I mean isn't that where the failures are coming from...heating up the oil too much and shearing it?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

I think the breaks are coming from the heat and stress on the gears. One of the causes of that heat is the shearing of the oil.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbsears87
So how many track days were on that fluid? Isn't that the castrol syntac stuff also? Also I have heard alot of the European guys use the Motul since that is whats available to them. I just want to know if anybody over here has any input on it. Is the superdiaqeen a full synthetic or is it normal petroleum bases. I would think a true estor based oil could handle the templs alot better. I mean isn't that where the failures are coming from...heating up the oil too much and shearing it?
Zero track days. I mentioned that when I posted up the Blackstone oil analysis
Old Nov 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

How many of you guys are still using the stock undertray while on the track and still having or had problems?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Ive always wore the factory undertray. I strongly recommend putting it back on your car if you took it off. It is a huge aero advantage, you will notice right away at high speeds in stability and high speed acceleration.

I use 1 bottle of GM friction modifier and then fill to spec with Redline HW Shockproof for the rear diff.

I also use Redline HW Shockproof for the TC.

When using the HW, a lot of patience and time is helpful! ITS THICK. Fill as much as you can taking your time. Then screw drain plugs in, rotate tires to rotate internals of TC & diff, wait 10-15 min. Pull plugs fill again and repeat process until oil comes out of hole after one of your 10-15 waiting periods. This was recommended to me by AMS and it allows me to sleep at night knowing I got enough of that slime in there.

For the trans, I use 1qt of SLW Shockproof and the rest MT90.

Then go to Skip Barber for a 3 day school not only to improve your shifting skills but your driving skills. This costs as much as a 5 speed conversion/replacment 6 spd and you get a 3 day unforgetable experience and learn how to drive faster. I assure you from then on, all of your equipment will last longer.

Im sure my trans will go at some point, I am driving the hell of it, but Ill be putting a 6spd right back in. And a trans cooler might find its way onto the car IF I add around 200WHP.

Last edited by LDOGGYDIZZLE; Nov 5, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: cause
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

I was trying to determine weather or not people have been using their stock undertrays when going on the track because, it was designed to channel air to the cooling fins on the 6 speed gearbox. If people used something like carbing or beatrush, then those undertrays would cover the cooling fins and take away whatever ability there was the cool down the tranny at speed and what not.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
little trick for shockproof heavy: Fill a bucket with hot water and place the shockproof bottle in it before the tcase/trans change. The heat will thin it out. Makes pumping it into the tcase/trans much easier.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmiii
I was trying to determine weather or not people have been using their stock undertrays when going on the track because, it was designed to channel air to the cooling fins on the 6 speed gearbox. If people used something like carbing or beatrush, then those undertrays would cover the cooling fins and take away whatever ability there was the cool down the tranny at speed and what not.
i virtually never run the stock undertray, had 31 HARD events on my MR, and no tranny issues whatsoever.

So while an undertray that covers it, may make the problem worse, not having the stock one, doesn't cause it.

And again, i'll refute any claim that the factory undertray does anything substantial for aero. I can't tell at 130+. Ive run it on, off, half on, half hanging off, run my 9 bumper without the bottom lip (off course excursion), none of it makes a whiff of difference in my book.

Now a real splitter? of course.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?