Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking.... how many guys have had more than 20+ track events on large road courses like streets of willow with their stock undertrays, oem tranny fluid and Stock clutch? Inaddition to that how much power are you making and with what parts and boost on the car?

I didn't have to go to the track to f'up my tranny I just stuck an ACT Xtreme clutch in there. I was just driving on the street wasn't even hard on it and when it wore down on me thats when i had synchro problems. I get that the 6 speed is weak but I just love it, I've been hesitent about switching over to the 5 speed mainly because the 6 speed has much better gearing for road racing.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright I will definately look into it. That is the fluid that goes into the dodge diesel transmission right?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 05:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
Alright I will definately look into it. That is the fluid that goes into the dodge diesel transmission right?
I think it says Novi 4500 or something, but it's the OEM fluid for the Viper. PM me if you need the part number.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmiii
I've been thinking.... how many guys have had more than 20+ track events on large road courses like streets of willow with their stock undertrays, oem tranny fluid and Stock clutch? Inaddition to that how much power are you making and with what parts and boost on the car?

I didn't have to go to the track to f'up my tranny I just stuck an ACT Xtreme clutch in there. I was just driving on the street wasn't even hard on it and when it wore down on me thats when i had synchro problems. I get that the 6 speed is weak but I just love it, I've been hesitent about switching over to the 5 speed mainly because the 6 speed has much better gearing for road racing.
I'm on the stock undertray but have only tracked the Evo twice. I'm hesitant to do more until I find a solution.

Synchro problems can often be chalked up to poor shifting, especially since the 6sp really has no history of faulty synchros.

Clutch shouldn't matter if you're shifting properly, an aftermarket clutch can introduce more of a shock load, but again, poor shifting winn introduce problems that proper shifting will avoid.

The stock undertray will definitely help since it does direct some air to the case. As far as how much, it's difficult to tell without test results.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelhaus

The stock undertray will definitely help since it does direct some air to the case. As far as how much, it's difficult to tell without test results.
On the hwy, I saw 5-10c warmer temps from the tranny without the OEM undertray.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
I'm on the stock undertray but have only tracked the Evo twice. I'm hesitant to do more until I find a solution.

Synchro problems can often be chalked up to poor shifting, especially since the 6sp really has no history of faulty synchros.

Clutch shouldn't matter if you're shifting properly, an aftermarket clutch can introduce more of a shock load, but again, poor shifting winn introduce problems that proper shifting will avoid.

I'm not sure because I've been shifting properly as in letting off the gas during up shifts and have been rev matching all my down shifts. It's fine when i do it slow but when i do quick shifts it seems as though the clutch is lagging or the synchro isn't keeping up one of the two. I'm going to bring it to Sean Ivey's shop (not sure if that'll mean much to you) to have it looked at. I just hope it means a 4th gear synchro replacement since it's only been happening in 4th gear and a new clutch like an Exedy stage one. I'm a bit hesitent to go with the Twin HD since it's quite harsh, but still not as bad as this damn ACT in the car right now. Funny thing is, the clutch plate started to wear down on me and that's when all this started.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Your problem may have something to do with high rpm lockout, but not a full lockout. If the clutch disc is dragging slightly then its still trying to keep the engine revved almost as if it was never fully disengaged. If its not disengaging 100%, it isn't letting the synchro match the input shaft as easily it should. The synchro may be able to overcome the clutch drag and still shift, but it will do so at the expense of excessive wear.

Has shifting felt a little stiff or does it seem to "grind" much?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Shifting is fine when slow, I mean 100% fine. It'll happen at mid or high rpms and only for 4th gear. I only experienced this problem in reverse when it wouldn't go into gear all the way but it eventually went away by itself. I've spoken to Jon at TRE and he did say that the clutch itself was much more harsh on the tranny because it's using clamp load force to hold power instead of the friction material on the friction plate itself. So I guess it makes sense... I adjusted the clutch pedal rod and moved it to the highest possible point, but it still didn't do it. I mean the grinding jsut got less intense, haha I'm not kidding.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
Have you tracked it any and how do you like it compared to stock. I know my 2nd gear is a little notchy on cold mornings with stock fluid. I am down to the Amsoil or Motul...just trying to decide which one is best.

Also for anybody wondering I have been exchanging emails with a motul technician and he said the Gear 300 even being GL5 certified is completely safe in our transmission. They use different type of additive and detergeants I guess that is not harmful but allows them to meet GL4 and GL5 requiremens.

On questions for you guys though does the rear diff and transfer case have to be 90wt. Because I see some people run the Motul 75-140 Competition gear oil but the motul tech reccomend 90pa fluid. Or do you think the stock Diaqueen fluid is adequate for daily driven and occasional tracking?
I haven't tracked the car. Just daily driving with the occasional run though the canyons. 2nd gear is still notchy with this Amsoil product. I'm tempted to try some sort of shockproof - amsoil combo to see if it makes shifting better or worse.

I'd run Redline shockproof in the TC and rear diff if I were tracking the car.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 9, 2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I haven't tracked the car. Just daily driving with the occasional run though the canyons. 2nd gear is still notchy with this Amsoil product. I'm tempted to try some sort of shockproof - amsoil combo to see if it makes shifting better or worse.

I'd run Redline shockproof in the TC and rear diff if I were tracking the car.
Sorry, you might have stted this earlier in thread but do you have new bushings for the shifter base or under the hood for the shift links? Once I got those the shifts felt much smoother for me at least.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by timmiii
Sorry, you might have stted this earlier in thread but do you have new bushings for the shifter base or under the hood for the shift links? Once I got those the shifts felt much smoother for me at least.
Its all stock. What brand bushings are you using?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone have any temp data with a Beatbrush undertray installed?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Its all stock. What brand bushings are you using?
I think I got the WORKS base shifter bushings and some brass under hood bushings (could've been speed source) not sure, it's been a while.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laxman
Anyone have any temp data with a Beatbrush undertray installed?
That undertray will block air from going towards the cooling fins on the 6 speed case. In theory it does, just not sure by how much.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

The AMSOIL Fluid recommended for the 5 and 6 spd trannies is Product Code MTG.

If anyone is interested, I sell AMSOIL Products at the lowest price available to all EvoM Forum Members... Best Prices and Service to boot..

Doc

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
I havent checked this thread for awhile, but wondering if anyone has used or has any thoughts on this fluid, Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx

Heres a quick quote that sounds pretty nice:

I run Amsoil in the engine, saw this in their brochure so I thought Id ask if anyone has used it.

-Ryan

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?