Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Doc,

Do you know anything about the Motul for the 6 speed tranny? The 75-90 gear 300 in particular. Also PM prices for amsoil engine oil...Thanks!!

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I do not have any tests containing the Motul... Partly as it is not a big enough contender in Gear Lubes.. But if it is like their motor oils, it is relatively decent.

What many people don't realize, is that a company can say anything they want about their Gear Lube and it doesn't have to meet any Spec's, no matter what..

Just be sure it carries a GL-4 Rating..

Can you send me an email for the oil prices... The way I have it laid out, doesn't work well on the EvoM PM.. Please include your State..

oildoc@bestoil4you.com

Doc
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well that's why I wondered cause it's a gl-4 and gl-5 rated fluid....and some gl-5 are known to attack soft metal. I will send a email.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:12 PM

I shreded my trasfer case on my 05 MR after 65k on the car, done many crazy stunts on it.
I'm running meth and pumping 28psi

the transfer case was aparted, there was NO oil left in it, all evaporated, no leaks.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:13 PM

I shreded my trasfer case on my 05 MR after 65k on the car, done many crazy stunts on it.

the transfer case was aparted, there was NO oil left in it, all evaporated, no leaks.

Btw looking for a transfer case!! ASAP!!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro

Btw looking for a transfer case!! ASAP!!
Try TRE or Shep, they can probably help you out. They might have stuff that's not on their websites usually. Just some advice, you may want to change out the oil more often if you do these "crazy stunts" of your's.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I do not have any tests containing the Motul... Partly as it is not a big enough contender in Gear Lubes.. But if it is like their motor oils, it is relatively decent.

What many people don't realize, is that a company can say anything they want about their Gear Lube and it doesn't have to meet any Spec's, no matter what..

Just be sure it carries a GL-4 Rating..

Can you send me an email for the oil prices... The way I have it laid out, doesn't work well on the EvoM PM.. Please include your State..

oildoc@bestoil4you.com

Doc
Well I follow your posts pretty regulary but I will have to add something on this one. Motul maybe isn't is big as Amoil over here...as a company and racing it is much bigger in Japan and Europe and has extensive racing heritage. Also there oil is more than decent...it is very good. Not to give the wrong image as I run Amsoil and have the whole preferred customer account and dealer status. Motul shows all there info also on there website where it is clearly visible so they dont claim anything they can't prove. I also decided to run Motul Gear 300 in my transmission. I have talked with Motul extensively and many other Evos and Companies that race professionally or that have used that product for long periods of time and say its the best fluid they have tried (The GL4/GL5 rating will work fine with our transmissions I was told and nobody has reported any failures) Just figured I would give some insight on this since I was doing alot of research on this lately. Point is I believe Amsoil and Motul is about the two best companies to choose from...thats why I choose to run both.

Last edited by dbsears; Nov 13, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

And I will agree that Motul is a good product.. Yes, a very good product..... We had some tests done on their Motorcycle oil as they are very popular in that market and they did quite well in the 10-40 class but lesser in the 20-50 but still did well..

As far as I know, Motul's Synthetic Products are all Ester based where AMSOIL went away from Esters over 20 years ago and has chosen PAO Base Stocks. Although Ester Base Stocks perform quite well, they are more expensive and in most cases, a Premium PAO w/Esters has some advantages over pure Ester... Slight.... maybe... but advantages none-the-less.

Doc
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, I want to try this new Motul or AMOIL but I'm a big hesitent. Is it really that much better?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

You will be happy with either one.... Yes, they are That Much Better..

Please send me an email along with which products or application (eng., trans, TC ) and I will give you a quote for AMSOIL Products dropped on your doorstep..

oildoc@bestoil4you.com

Doc
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Ah that makes sense about the Estor based and PAO. Thanks for sharing that info...learn something new all the time. Anyways do you believe the new Signature series 0w-30 is better than the ATM 10w-30 I currently run considering the price difference? I usually drive my car in a climate thats about 40-90 degrees.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on HOW you drive the car and HOW many miles you put on it.

The SSO is the toughest automotive oil we have. It has a very high TBN which is one of the reasons it can go longer on the drain interval, both are Turbo approved. The SSO will give you slightly better HP and/or Fuel Mileage.

But there is not an oil out there that will come close to the SSO....

Doc
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Joe Gibbs Racing oil is a new one. Not ester based but has plenty of zinc and sulfer additives to give race engines the protection they need. They have a great non syn break in oil too. These oils are not street legal though and will harm cats.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Many teams use our TSO, now SSO, for qualifying and switch to our ARO 20W-50 Racing Oil for the race. They use to be able to run a different engine just for qualifying which basically was a very loose tolerance engine. Being that they can't do that anymore, they run a lightweight oil for qualifying.

There are many big Time Teams running AMSOIL, not only in NASCAR, but, Indy, Monster Trucks, Drag Racing and I have some World of Outlaw Sprinters as well. Boat Racing, ATV's, Quad and Dirt Bike Racing..

It really gives me the Warm Fuzzies when I am set up at a race event and I have teams sponsored by other oil companies such as Redline, come over and buy oil when they have cases of their sponsors oil sitting there. They send someone over to buy it in plain clothes so you don't know who they are. That is until I follow them to their trailer... LOL

We've had people pour it into empty milk jugs so no one would know what they are using..... Shhhhh... secrets of racing.. LOL

Doc
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I discovered today another issue that 6-speed owners should watch. There is a "bore plug" on the left side of the tranny where the tranny sticks out into the left wheel well. On a short drive across town today, this plug fell out and gear oil spewed all over the place. It literally coated everything in the left front suspension area, wheel well, and wheel. Oil mist even coated the side of the car and made it to the left rear wheel and left fender well.

Had to leave the car parked at the restaurant where I went and had a friend come and pick me up to get some tools to replace the gear oil and fashion a temporary plug. With tools in-hand, I drove the same route back to my Evo in hopes of finding the plug. Never found the plug, but I saw exactly where oil started spewing. There was a trail of oil about 1/4 mile long to where I parked. Got the plug installed, refilled the gearbox, and drove to the local DIY car wash to wash the gear oil off everything as best as possible.

Anyhow, I feel very lucky that this happened on a short trip across down because if it had happened on a longer drive, my tranny would be toast. I suggest people inspect this plug on their trannys ASAP. Here are a few pics.

EDIT: The plug may also be called a "welch plug". See last drawing.

Sketch from FSM showing "bore" plug

Hole without plug. I had already washed out the fender well and removed my temporary plug for this picture. Still some gear oil evident. I'm pretty sure that the thing visible in the hole is one of the main bearings for the input shaft.

Homemade plug installed

Another sketch from FSM showing "welch" plug
Attached Thumbnails Track whores with MRs?-bore-plug-8-fsm.gif   Track whores with MRs?-img_0196_web.jpg   Track whores with MRs?-img_0198_web.jpg   Track whores with MRs?-welch-plug-3-fsm.jpg  

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 23, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?