Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:19 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did you overfill your transmission gear oil? the 5 speed doesn't have this plug too?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks that happened to ya. Any ideas on how to keep the plug in?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
did you overfill your transmission gear oil? the 5 speed doesn't have this plug too?
Not overfilled. Its been a year since I did the gearbox oil change too. The diags in the FSM don't show a bore hole for the 5-speed. I think that there is a breather hole somewhere. Maybe its clogged.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I discovered today another issue that 6-speed owners should watch. There is a "bore plug" on the left side of the tranny where the tranny sticks out into the left wheel well. On a short drive across down today, it fell out and gear oil spewed all over the place. It literally coated everything in the left front suspension area and wheel. Oil mist even coated the side of the car and made it to the left rear wheel and left fender well.
Homemade plug installed
A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to his MR about 3 weeks ago. Very scary, Im gonna have a look at mine for sure.

-Ryan
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, yet another failure mode for the good ole 6-speed.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what some of the guys in here need to take their bs somewhere else really. The 6sp is getting this bad rap likes its a WRX tranny or something when its not all that bad. Half the failures are from idiots that are using the wrong fluids. 6sp may be weaker but how many tsb's and synchro problems have the 5sp had??? Their are just as many problems with 5sp ones...they may be all out stronger but thats about it. I am getting tired of hearing "why you buy an MR they have weak trannies" makes we wanna smack the people saying tack another one up for the 6sp tranny. Sorry for the rant but damn somebody gotta have some faith in the good ol' 6sp.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

From the pics, that looks like a welch plug where there are no threads and the plug is set in place like a freeze plug where the hit the center of the plug to expand it.

If so, I have seen these fall out in other applications as well.. it happens

Doc
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

PN for the welch plug is: MN132394
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

That happened to me, the shop was baffled as to how it happened too. I was just driving along the highway when all of a sudden a i hear four clunks and see a pretty shiney bronze-like bolt fly from under my car in the rear view. While moving along at 70mph on the highway. Maybe I should convert since the 6 speed is proving to be more of a pain than it's actually worth.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
You know what some of the guys in here need to take their bs somewhere else really. The 6sp is getting this bad rap likes its a WRX tranny or something when its not all that bad. Half the failures are from idiots that are using the wrong fluids. 6sp may be weaker but how many tsb's and synchro problems have the 5sp had??? Their are just as many problems with 5sp ones...they may be all out stronger but thats about it. I am getting tired of hearing "why you buy an MR they have weak trannies" makes we wanna smack the people saying tack another one up for the 6sp tranny. Sorry for the rant but damn somebody gotta have some faith in the good ol' 6sp.
BS? I wish fragging my 6spd was BS, I wish all the other guys in this thread that fragged 6th gear was BS.

The 6 spd is a pile. I would rather take 'weaker' synchros in the 5spd then a crap 4th gear. Oh wait I did, I now have a 5spd.

6spd is great for street driving. With more power and driving hard, in a grippy, well driven Evo on track, it will break. Only a matter of time.

Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I didn't mean it to come across like that. You and others have proof why yours failed. I am talking about the recent posted about something simple going wrong which is rare then others are saying well tack another problem up for 6sp. Me I believe alot of failures are do to the fluids used. Almost every person I have seen failed has ran BG, Synchromesh, or Redline or high mileaged stock fluid. All proven to be crap in the 6sp...besides Diaqueen being good it just doesnt like the extended heat. As we all the know the main problem is heat not totally the weakness of the tranny. I have yet to come across any failures resulting from people useing Motul, Amsoil, or even the Castrol fluid...otherwise higher end fluids that are the correct viscosity. I know of atleast 3-4 big vendors and shops that run the 6sp with decent success...I am sure at their power levels that it will eventually fail in action but they have hundreds of drag passes and many many road course events. Point I am trying to make is the 6sp is not a heap of junk like some refer it too...it may not live up to the standars of the 5sp but please what other 5sp transmission can hold that kind of power? The 5sp is just over engineered and tough as nails...the 6sp is just more comfort but less durability.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

I like my 6 speed and I'm trying to stop myself from actually switching over to the 5 speed. However, making power is going to be a b*itch with the 6 speed because "tranny shops" say that it'll only handle about 300lb-ft of torque, because "they spoke to the actual designers for it" and figured it was just junk. The 6 is fine for drag racing, and street driving even with a good amount of torque, but when it comes to road racing that when it starts to fail. I really do want to find out what the 6 speed is made of, by actually making power and going out on the track and testing it out.

I didn't buy a MR just to get rid of the 6 speed and go with the 5 speed... Grant it that the 5 speed is MUCH stronger than the 6 speed (only because they designed it to be used in rally in stock form), but the 6 has a better feel to it.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dbsears87
... I am talking about the recent posted about something simple going wrong which is rare then others are saying well tack another problem up for 6sp. ...
Two other incidences of this have already been reported in this thread. Nearly all the fluid in my tranny came out in about 3 minutes of driving, and I had no idea. I got lucky and happened to park before any damage occurred. 6-speed owners should be taking this as a warning and doing someting to ensure that it does not happen to their gearbox.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
6-speed owners should be taking this as a warning and doing someting to ensure that it does not happen to their gearbox.
Like duct tape? I mean, what can we do to prevent this?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Like duct tape? I mean, what can we do to prevent this?
I'm planning to apply some sort of all-weather adhesive/sealant over the new plug.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?