Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
I've been talking about tranny fluid the whole time, as this thread was originally regarding blow'd up 6 speeds

You went from talking required Transmission "Gear Lube" to an ATF Fluid used in a gear box... The post in reference said Mopar Gear Lube..

The following link is a white paper on Gear Lubes performed by several testing facilities and printed by AMSOIL. AMSOIL did not perform the tests.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Just because an OEM uses something, doesn't mean it is the best. Chrysler has had many lube related problems with differentials. Ford pays a $500.00 fine to the EPA on every Pickup it sells because it won't meet the CAFE only due to the fact they use 75W-140 in the Diffs because of failures associated with 75W-90 and towing.. Over 85% of Ford Trucks are used for towing..

Ford is now going to a 75W-110 gear lube that will allow the trucks to meet the current CAFE.... Yes, a gear lube can cost that much in fuel mileage.. or can cause component problems.

Doc
Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
You went from talking required Transmission "Gear Lube" to an ATF Fluid used in a gear box... The post in reference said Mopar Gear Lube.

Maybe I missed something (which is entirely possible), but the only MOPAR fluid I intended to talk about was the GL-4 fully synthetic 75W-85 transmission fluid which is an exact equivalent to the Super DiaQueen 75W-85 used in the 6 speed.

If I violated some kind of lube semantic rule by using an incorrect word, then shame on me
Old Dec 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Sorry but I never take advice from someone that only pushes their product post after post. Your here to sell, and you have nothing to back up your claims. Im not saying amsoil is crap by any means. All Im saying is we have severe problems with the 6 speed transmission shearing 4th gear, and I highly doubt your tranny fluid will change that. Especially considering its the wrong weight right off the bat.

Secondly, Ive allready heard of people haveing problems with synchros grinding with your oil. Not only that, but lets talk about how many tcases have started the death whine from not using stock fluid? Sorry bud, but Im not buying it. Engine oil is one thing, but you need to stop pushing in this thread until you can come up with some PROOF of ANYTHING that you claim in regards to the 6 speed. Not some generic "check out our motor oil compared to a bunch of other companies" test. We have the same problem with them too, so what makes yours different?
Agreed.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

With all you guys out there tracking your cars..nobody uses Silkolene syntrans?? I am just curious why.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Tiebout
With all you guys out there tracking your cars..nobody uses Silkolene syntrans?? I am just curious why.
I've been curious about it, but its not widely available in the USA, and I can't find any info on it.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Humm I use Silkolene in my dirtbike and its damn good stuff. I may have to check it out.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Silkolene is available thru Essex www.essexparts.com They carry all the products. I started with silkolene with the road race bikes years ago..and as they expanded into more 4 wheel based products,so did I. I have 91k on the Subi with silkolene fluids in everything and 0 issues..and 12k on the MR,with 2 seasons of AX and 2500 track miles again with no issues. I broke in both cars with the "regular" fluids they came with..then about 3k changed to silk. I have had great results with their stuff for a LONG time..for so long, I was surprised nobody else used their products..you all should check them out. Pete
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone had sucess with other fluids besides OEM?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timmiii
Anyone had sucess with other fluids besides OEM?
You mean besides the one I've posted about in this thread?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe I missed something (which is entirely possible), but the only MOPAR fluid I intended to talk about was the GL-4 fully synthetic 75W-85 transmission fluid which is an exact equivalent to the Super DiaQueen 75W-85 used in the 6 speed.

Well you were talking about Mopar Gear Lube 75W-85, which sucks wind and then went to Castrol SynTorq ATF, which is around a 7 weight.... There is a huge difference there.

About like comparing Maple Syrup to Water

Doc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Sorry but I never take advice from someone that only pushes their product post after post. When I find a better product, I will sell it, but for the last 24 years that I have been selling AMSOIL, I haven't found anything better. I sell AMSOIL because I can say the things I do about it. I don't say the things I do to sell it... If you think otherwise, you Definitely don't know me.Your here to sell, and you have nothing to back up your claims. Test after test performed by Independent companies show AMSOIL may not come out on top in every test for that individual fluid but always has a better Golf Score than the competitors. AMSOIL Invented Synthetic gear lube, Synthetic ATF and was the First API Rated Synthetic Engine Oil in 1972, all others are just imitations.Im not saying amsoil is crap by any means. All Im saying is we have severe problems with the 6 speed transmission shearing 4th gear, and I highly doubt your tranny fluid will change that. Especially considering its the wrong weight right off the bat. MTG is the proper weight for the 5 & 6 Speed.. I never said AMSOIL could cure a mechanical problem in an obviously flawed transmission, but then again, it can help with some problems such as shift quality.

Secondly, Ive allready heard of people haveing problems with synchros grinding with your oil. Again, if there is already a mechanical problem, NO Fluid can fix it. All it takes is a blown shift or two to damage or crack a synchro, the fluid is not at fault, simple UOA would verify that Not only that, but lets talk about how many tcases have started the death whine from not using stock fluid? Who makes the stock fluid ? ...... This year ?Sorry bud, but Im not buying it. Engine oil is one thing, but you need to stop pushing in this thread until you can come up with some PROOF of ANYTHING that you claim in regards to the 6 speed. Not some generic "check out our motor oil compared to a bunch of other companies" test. We have the same problem with them too, so what makes yours different? It seems as though you are saying Mits fluid is different and all the other fluids are alike... Sorry Bud, you need to prove my fluids are inferior. Everyone has been trying to copy AMSOIL Since 1972 and sometimes putting inferior products on the market.
The following link has been compiled from tests performed by Several of the Top Independent Testing Facilities and printed by AMSOIL.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Stop and think for a moment... AMSOIL names, Names in their comparisons and if what they said wasn't true, they would have been sued out of business years ago. Instead AMSOIL has been presented awards by their Peers and elected in to The Lubricants Hall of Fame.

Yes, I am here to sell. BUT, I have to believe in what I sell and with AMSOIL, they have never let me down in the 24 Years I have sold it.

Doc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

You mean besides the one I've posted about in this thread?
yes, I just want to see all the possible options.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Well you were talking about Mopar Gear Lube 75W-85, which sucks wind and then went to Castrol SynTorq ATF, which is around a 7 weight.... There is a huge difference there.

About like comparing Maple Syrup to Water

Doc
Umm, let me try this again. The entire time I have been talking about the MOPAR GL-4 75W-85 full synthetic transmission fluid, part #04874459. It is repackaged Castrol SynTorq LT, which to my understanding, is how it is sold in Europe. This MOPAR fluid is the OEM Viper fluid. This fluid has worked fantastically in my vehicle, and after 70,000+ miles my Blackstone Labs analysis of the tranny fluid seems to corroborate this. It was never my intent to talk about gear lube or ATF.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

My Sincerest apologies..... I pulled that from the Dusty Cobwebs in the back of my brain..... It is hell to get old.... SynTran is the product I was thinking of that is the ATF.

Not saying you are going to have any problems, just that there are better choices that show better results .....

I am curious as to how Several Labs that tested both the Mopar Fluids and Castrol Fluids and the Mopar failed and Castrol passed in the 4 critical areas.

Looks to me that it is not a case of bottles just simply changing going down a fill line and there is an actual difference, if Castrol is indeed the supplier...

While writing this, I called my Tech Dept., although Castrol MAY be the supplier, the fluids are definitely different... Again, it comes down to the lowest bid.... If you go back about 3 years ago, Mopar was having a lot of rear diff problems.. was it Castrol then, or was it another supplier?

Similar to filters, Hastings makes some great filters, they also make a $1.50 quick lube filter, just because they are both Hastings, does not mean they are the same.

HAPPY New Year !!!! Doc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

I am not a materials engineer, or a chemical engineer, but I know that the Castrol SynTorq LT was specifically manufactured to keep temps down in the transmission (hence the "LT" for low temperature). The temp issues are what many think contribute to 6 speed 4th gear failures. The fluid is entirely clear, it looks like syrupy 7-up

The reason I used it is because it was an exact equivalent to the Super Diaqueen, it is fully synthetic, and it also immediately solved my 2nd gear notchiness problems.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?