Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
I am not a materials engineer, or a chemical engineer, but I know that the Castrol SynTorq LT was specifically manufactured to keep temps down in the transmission (hence the "LT" for low temperature). The temp issues are what many think contribute to 6 speed 4th gear failures. The fluid is entirely clear, it looks like syrupy 7-up

The reason I used it is because it was an exact equivalent to the Super Diaqueen, it is fully synthetic, and it also immediately solved my 2nd gear notchiness problems.
How much is the fluid sold for and where can it be purchased? If the mopar stuff is repackaged Castrol, then why can't we just order the Castrol Cyntorq LT instead of going to Mopar parts dept?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by timmiii
How much is the fluid sold for and where can it be purchased? If the mopar stuff is repackaged Castrol, then why can't we just order the Castrol Cyntorq LT instead of going to Mopar parts dept?
Don't know why it's hard to find...but it is.

I would try a GM dealership first, because I think their prices are cheaper:

Castrol Syntorq LT 75W-85W GL-4 (GM# 12346190) $18-20 per quart, I think.

The MOPAR part # is a few posts earlier. Try getting an online discount somewhere, that's what I would do.

You can also try ordering it from here in 2qt sizes (I am sure they have a large drum, and "repackage" from said drum (about halfway down the page):

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%20Parts.htm

Here is an interesting read on GL-4 and how Castrol SynTorq LT came around to being used for the NV4500 transmissions. Seems that transmission was "underengineered" too and faced significant heat problems too (much like the Aisin 6 speed on the MR). At one point, the author describes the StnTorq LT as the "Holy Grail" of tranny fluids for the NV4500. Dodge started using it in the Viper over the Dexron III for reliability concerns with the thinner fluid and the abuse Viper owners were putting their transmissions through (sound familiar?).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...99&postcount=8
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

$18-20.00 per qt !! You have got to be kidding...... That is a lot to pay for a gear lube...

I can sell you AMSOIL MTG for less than half of that.... A Superior Product from the Company that developed the first automotive Synthetic Gear Lube. After all, Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery....

I called my Tech Dept and the Mopar is not a direct replacement of the SynTorq.... It May be bottled by Castrol right now but it is not an identical match.

The supplier may change every couple years and goes to the lowest bidder.

Doc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlvalet
I am not a materials engineer, or a chemical engineer, but I know that the Castrol SynTorq LT was specifically manufactured to keep temps down in the transmission (hence the "LT" for low temperature). The temp issues are what many think contribute to 6 speed 4th gear failures. The fluid is entirely clear, it looks like syrupy 7-up

The reason I used it is because it was an exact equivalent to the Super Diaqueen, it is fully synthetic, and it also immediately solved my 2nd gear notchiness problems.
I kind of hate to point this out, but if it solved your 2nd gear notchiness problem it is, by definition, not an exact equivalent of diaqueen.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
I kind of hate to point this out, but if it solved your 2nd gear notchiness problem it is, by definition, not an exact equivalent of diaqueen.
You're missing the point, or you're trying to be funny.

The MOPAR 75W-85 is an exact equivalent to the weight of the SuperDiaqueen, which is also a 75W-85 oil. "Exact equivalent" does not = "the same thing."
Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'll challenge that "Exact Weight" ..... I am not talking what is listed on the bottle.... Most Gear Lubes are not what they say before you install them, much less after some use..... There is no Governing Body to make sure Gear Lubes are what they say... Few will pass the tests, Most fail

Doc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok, this is turning into lawyer-like parsing of words. Here is the most recent analysis from Blackstone and my tranny with the MOPAR/Castrol SynTech LT:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&postcount=549

Going by labels is the best a layman like myself can do. I don't know where your tech guy gets his information from, but with all the overheating problems the NV4500 transmission had I don't think they're (Dodge, Chysler, GM) going to change sourcing on the tranny oil any time soon. I still believe the MOPAR fluid I use is Castrol Syntorq LT. Even if it's not, you can order the oil here:

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%20Parts.htm

Here is an interesting snippet regarding the Castrol SynTorq LT:

"In spite of NVG’s lack of cooperation, we do know Syntorq LT is a very good gear lube, compliments of Castrol USA. Lubricants are often designed to provide a viscosity that is low enough for good flow characteristics in cold weather and high enough to provide adequate film thickness and lubricity in hot, high-severity service. When this hot and cold performance is required, a small response to changes in temperature is desired. The oil industry expresses this response as the V.I. (Viscosity Index). From the Data Sheets of Syntorq we find that it has a relatively high V.I. of 166. A high V.I. also indicates it is a better quality base stock to begin with. Lubes that have a high V.I. also have a lower sulfur content. Sulfur is also part of the corrosive equation that we need to avoid. Multigrade oils were first additized with polymers to increase the V.I. of an oil. Additives do not last the lifetime of the base oil, so the benefit of having a high V.I. without the additives are obvious. I also found out Syntorq is uniquely polymer free."

Seems like a good option to me. Until we test this specific fluid against AMSOIL or any other fluid in a controlled environment, this is all conjecture
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I think I'll just stick to OEM lube fore now, save myself the headache.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

timmiii..... Don't get too caught up in all the negativity.... Either way you go, you won't have a problem, at least not one caused by fluids..

Doc
Old Jan 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a thought...With all these "coatings" that are now available,why not paint the trans. case with a heat releasing coating? Turn the whole bottom of the trans. case into a heat sink! I have found several coatings that do not need to be baked to cure..You could do the job without removing the trans. case and the coating air drys. Could this be a great idea??? Post up!!!! What do you all think? Thanks, Pete
Old Jan 10, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peter Tiebout
Here is a thought...With all these "coatings" that are now available,why not paint the trans. case with a heat releasing coating? Turn the whole bottom of the trans. case into a heat sink! I have found several coatings that do not need to be baked to cure..You could do the job without removing the trans. case and the coating air drys. Could this be a great idea??? Post up!!!! What do you all think? Thanks, Pete
That's an interesting idea - anything that helps cooling ought to be a good thing. The trick with coatings that just go "on-top" of whatever surface you are dealing with is that they improve radiative cooling, be decrease convective cooling. Radiative heat transfer dominates at high temperatures (goes with T^4), so it could certainly make a difference. To really get all the benefit though, it would be best to remove the bell housing and polish the surface before coating. That way you'd remove the oxidation layer and the coating would be much more effective.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Black paint has been used for many years on race car engines and drive-lines just for that reason.

With the new coatings, there could be something better..

Use of a Synthetic fluid such as AMSOIL will also help reduce temps.

Doc
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone producing this oil cooler setup now? I am surprised a vendor has not built one yet!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Talking with Jon at TRE he said that there are too many variables to be able to produce a generic oil cooler. He also said that to have a bomb proof set up that the oil cooler would have to be located below the transmission. I asked him about oil and he suggests Redline MT 90. The most telling statement he said was Race cars require race car prep. Change your oil before every event. What I gathered was I need to save my money for a race prepped 5 speed tranny.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of empirical data exists to show the benefit of treating the surface with either paint or polish+paint?

Anything to reduce the number of mechanical parts while improving safety/decreasing temps is of interest to most anyone here.

Great idea!

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?