Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEARS

A few years ago when I first started rebuilding the 6 speed transmissions I had an opportunity to speak with an engineer at Mitsubishi about the 6 speed. They are well aware of the skepticism that surrounds the 6 speed but that doesn’t change the fact that the transmission is rated for 290ft.lbs of torque. I know... I didn't like to hear that either and it would have been nice if they shared that with us, the end users who can't stop thinking about the EVO.
I wonder what the design spec was for the 6-speed? The rating they publish is less than what they design it to to allow for design margin. For that matter, what is the 5-speed rated to?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago when I first started rebuilding the 6 speed transmissions I had an opportunity to speak with an engineer at Mitsubishi about the 6 speed. They are well aware of the skepticism that surrounds the 6 speed but that doesn’t change the fact that the transmission is rated for 290ft.lbs of torque. I know... I didn't like to hear that either and it would have been nice if they shared that with us, the end users who can't stop thinking about the EVO.

This rating is what the transmission can deal with for the duration of the intended service life with an OEM clutch. We can assume that the intended service life would be just far enough to get through warranty. Sure you can shove more torque through the 6 speed but the number of cycles that the transmission can withstand before the probability of failure catching up to it will be less & less. This is the S/N fatigue curve and transmissions can’t escape from it either, especially when you’re attempting something that it wasn’t designed to do.

The whole trick is knowing the bleeding edge and backing away a few steps. In the case of the 6 speed I wouldn’t want to make it take anymore than 400ft.lbs if you are looking to get the most life out of it. Think of it like revving a stock block 4G63 past 8k, sure you can do it but for how long?
So are you saying that the transmission can only handle it for a certain amount of time even with a propper cooling system? Would it also be possible to machine new gears out of a stronger material that can handle the heat better?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
I wonder what the design spec was for the 6-speed? The rating they publish is less than what they design it to to allow for design margin. For that matter, what is the 5-speed rated to?

The 290ft.lbs rating is not the torque at which the thing blows up. It's much higher, I've done destructive static load testing on the 6 speed transmission and the torque numbers that I can achieve before parts fail is above 1000ft.lbs in some of the gears but it varies from gear to gear. Now understand this is where they fail immediately.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
So are you saying that the transmission can only handle it for a certain amount of time even with a propper cooling system? Would it also be possible to machine new gears out of a stronger material that can handle the heat better?
An oil cooler will extend the service life of the transmission only if the gears are getting hot enough that plastic deformation is occurring due to excessive heat and not from excessive torque.

Last edited by GEARS; Apr 26, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

An oil cooler is good if the transmission is getting hot enough that plastic deformation is occurring.
Would the cooler have a greater positive affect on the transmission if someone were to have 400lbs-ft of torque, as opposed to no cooler at all?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

My whole issue is, I really like the 6-speed. I wish someone could make
a stronger gear set but doesn't look like it's possible.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
What about cryo-treating them?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
What about cryo-treating them?
By the sounds of it, it's not enough to make a difference. I'm sure GEARS
could give more solid info. However if that was a true fix we would all
know about it. It's just seems 4th is too small.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Cryo treating has not been proven to increase durability in materials that were not specifically designed to be cryotreated.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Cryo treating has not been proven to increase durability in materials that were not specifically designed to be cryotreated.
Exactly...

When using 9310 and other high nickel type steels, there are problems with getting the hardness to Rockwell high enough so that the parts don't wear out and Cryogenic treatments can raise the hardness by several points. A retired engineer that does our Cyrogenic work can raise the hardness from 60 to 63RC which needs to be tempered out but what gains are found from complete conversion of austenite to martinsite is probably negligible because we are still putting enough force on the gears to yield the metal. I'm not saying the Cryogenics don't work, they do when done correctly, but the gains that I'm looking for so you guys can put twice the torque through something that wasn't designed for aren't going to be found by this process. It's still more cost effective to switch to a 5 speed if you really want to make that kind of power and have a transmission that last.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:04 AM

Has anyone wondered about the "beefed up" evo 10 5 speed and the possibility of a retrofit into the 8/9?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
Mike - I have >400ft lbs torque rating on my 05 MR with 26k mi and a stock clutch. My motor is in great shape, my stock clutch is in great shape and the transmission fluid doesn't contain metal residue. I use all Motul fluids (oil/trans/diffs).

I do not use a cooler, I do not launch the car. At least half the miles are from road course or weekend warrior on/offramp abuse i nthe northeast. I spend most of my time in 3,4,5 gears.

Sure, one day I may have a problem, but I'm going on year 3 and the only parts ever needing replacement was an A/C sensor ($40 part) and the equivalent to my harmonic balancer (odd, right?!?!).

Don't live in fear, drive smoothe and enjoy your car.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Tuning companies must hate this transmission, seems like no one wants to deal with it.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:46 AM

Does the cooler prove to help reduce fatigue and keep temps down on a 380-400ish whp car? Is it worth the expense to install on a dd car that sees maybe 5-8 track events a year? Or would I just be buying minimal time if any? Also if I were to do the cooler and eventualy switched to the 5 mt, I would imagine I could just as easily still use the cooler right?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whooshski
Does the cooler prove to help reduce fatigue and keep temps down on a 380-400ish whp car? Is it worth the expense to install on a dd car that sees maybe 5-8 track events a year? Or would I just be buying minimal time if any? Also if I were to do the cooler and eventualy switched to the 5 mt, I would imagine I could just as easily still use the cooler right?
A cooler will help, but you need to figure out how big of a core you'll need and where the best position is to place it. You also want try to drive the car with very smooth clutch operation and not to drop the clutch to reduce shocking the internals.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?