Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
If you got to the TRE website, it says Jon is on vacation until the middle of April, I think.
That's fine I just wanted to post the question up on here.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
Hey Jon@TRE do you have any news or updates on the 6speed stage2 or 3 rebuild services?

Thanks!
I have a feeling 6 speed stage 2 and 3 will be buy a 5 speed..lol I hope not just
have a feeling.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
I have a feeling 6 speed stage 2 and 3 will be buy a 5 speed..lol I hope not just
have a feeling.
Jon was telling me he was testing some modifications out to see if it helped much with the problems in the box. I hope he can give us all an update on the results.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I really like having a 6th gear for cruising. Would be nice if someone could make a reinforced 6speed gear set. Probably just a pipe dream.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

How has Motul 300 fluid been working out for you guys that used it int he 6speed?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How has Motul 300 fluid been working out for you guys that used it int he 6speed?
2.5qts of 75w90 has worked like a charm
Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
2.5qts of 75w90 has worked like a charm
Can you elaborate on that please, like how well does it shift compared to oem fluids, how long does it last, how much (more or less) protection does it offer, how does the transmission shift when cold with the Motul, how does it shift when the fluids get warmed up?

Were you able to bring your car to the track and really give the tranny a test?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Can you elaborate on that please, like how well does it shift compared to oem fluids, how long does it last, how much (more or less) protection does it offer, how does the transmission shift when cold with the Motul, how does it shift when the fluids get warmed up?

Were you able to bring your car to the track and really give the tranny a test?

Thanks
Motul shows consistency through the spectrum of temperatures I see from the hoteest of northeast track days to the coldest winter weekend joyride. On cold days, there is a hint of notchiness shifting into second that goes away after 5 minutes of driving, I would tolerate this with any manual transmission however.

I change all driveline fluids 1-2x/yr (all motul) depending on the number of track days the car sees. No metal has ever come out nor has the fluid changed much, if at all, in color.

I have not compared Motul to other fluids in the Evo as I have in Audis and VWs. Rather, after my testing in Audis and VWs, I decided to use Motul immediately. FWIW, AMSOIL is my second choice based on my tests from the past.

I don't believe I have read/heard of anyone yet blowing their 6 speed with the correct Motul fluid in it, anyone can comment to this point if they have heard otherwise.

Good luck-
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Motul shows consistency through the spectrum of temperatures I see from the hoteest of northeast track days to the coldest winter weekend joyride. On cold days, there is a hint of notchiness shifting into second that goes away after 5 minutes of driving, I would tolerate this with any manual transmission however.

I change all driveline fluids 1-2x/yr (all motul) depending on the number of track days the car sees. No metal has ever come out nor has the fluid changed much, if at all, in color.

I have not compared Motul to other fluids in the Evo as I have in Audis and VWs. Rather, after my testing in Audis and VWs, I decided to use Motul immediately. FWIW, AMSOIL is my second choice based on my tests from the past.

I don't believe I have read/heard of anyone yet blowing their 6 speed with the correct Motul fluid in it, anyone can comment to this point if they have heard otherwise.

Good luck-
Wow, sounds good! I might give Motul a shot. How many miles did you put on the tranny fluid when you do change it, do you have a temp gauge for your tranny oil? What oil do you use in your transfer case, how often do you change that and what does the oil look like when you do change it?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, sounds good! I might give Motul a shot. How many miles did you put on the tranny fluid when you do change it, do you have a temp gauge for your tranny oil? What oil do you use in your transfer case, how often do you change that and what does the oil look like when you do change it?

Thanks!
Rear Diff and Transfer Case both get Motul Competition ff (about .6qts each).
Ave change has been about 5-6k miles. I do not have a temp gauge. The oil looks fine. I had some very fine (liquid) metal discharge from the rear diff on an early change but I would contribute that to normal w&t since it was a one time event and very limited.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Where did you purchase the fluids? I might give it a try on my next drivetrian oil change. This might seem out of the blue, but what clutch do you have in your car and what kind of driving do you primarily do with your evo?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Where did you purchase the fluids? I might give it a try on my next drivetrian oil change. This might seem out of the blue, but what clutch do you have in your car and what kind of driving do you primarily do with your evo?

Thanks
http://motorspot.com/
I have the stock clutch - good as day 1.
All miles are highway/spirited or HPDE track miles.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

http://motorspot.com/
I have the stock clutch - good as day 1.
All miles are highway/spirited or HPDE track miles.
Thanks for the info, I can't wait until the day I can stick in a new oem clutch in my car.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:14 PM

holy **** this is a scary thread. I'm looking into buying an mr but damn, this is making me have second thoughts about maybe getting an sti instead...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why so you can have a slower car that breaks more???? Troll.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?