Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
holy **** this is a scary thread. I'm looking into buying an mr but damn, this is making me have second thoughts about maybe getting an sti instead...
STi 6speed has a similar problem with 4th gear shredding, no joke. I did a bit a of research to find that heat is also a problem however, Subaru installed an internal pump to circulate the fluids throughout the case. Apparently that's not enough, the GT-R 6speed and Supra 6speed both suffer from the problem of heat. The 6speed from for the evo is build by Aisin, a sister company of Toyota the transmission model is the BG6. Don't believe me? take a look at this link," http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/ff.html" All these transmision can stand up to drag racing, that's why high horse power Evo's, STi's, Supra's and Skylines don't have issues when going down the 1320. It's road racing that kills these transmissions due to high heat. Thats why dog boxes are great, but they only make them for the 5 speeds.
Old May 14, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

I am thinking about HPDEs and wondering when to change tranny fluid.

For you guys that run HPDEs with your 6-speed, are you replacing the tranny fluid once for each HPDE? Once every two HPDEs? Once a season? Every 15,000 miles?

I have been trying to logic the next question but have not come to a conclusion. Is it more important to change out the fluids immediately before doing the HPDE or is it better to get rid of the fluids immediately after they have been beat up at the HPDE?

The way I see it is that if I change the fluid after an event, then I would be driving clean fluids for a few thousand miles of easy street driving followed by an HPDE on slightly used fluids. If I change the fluid before the HPDE, then then event happens on new fluids but my next few thousand miles of street driving is on beat up fluid.

Thanks oil geniuses!

Last edited by 286bhp; May 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd recommend every 12-14 events.

It lets it get used, but not kill it. again, you're up north, you're not nearly as warm as some of the other tracks.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I change mine every 7500 miles, just to be safe.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 286bhp
I am thinking about HPDEs and wondering when to change tranny fluid.

For you guys that run HPDEs with your 6-speed, are you replacing the tranny fluid once for each HPDE? Once every two HPDEs? Once a season? Every 15,000 miles?

I have been trying to logic the next question but have not come to a conclusion. Is it more important to change out the fluids immediately before doing the HPDE or is it better to get rid of the fluids immediately after they have been beat up at the HPDE?

The way I see it is that if I change the fluid after an event, then I would be driving clean fluids for a few thousand miles of easy street driving followed by an HPDE on slightly used fluids. If I change the fluid before the HPDE, then then event happens on new fluids but my next few thousand miles of street driving is on beat up fluid.

Thanks oil geniuses!
I suggest changing it before the event, just in-case if it becomes more intense than you thought it would be. You'll still be safe. If you're really heating up the tranny then it's better to change it right after the event.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
I suggest changing it before the event, just in-case if it becomes more intense than you thought it would be. You'll still be safe. If you're really heating up the tranny then it's better to change it right after the event.
Wait, let me make sure I understand you.

Generally, you would change it right before the event. If the event was super stressful on the car and the tranny likely heated up a large amount, then change it after the event too. Otherwise, continue to drive on the used fluids until the beginning of the next event (which is never more than 2 months away during the summer season).
Old May 15, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
i'd recommend every 12-14 events.

It lets it get used, but not kill it. again, you're up north, you're not nearly as warm as some of the other tracks.

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I change mine every 7500 miles, just to be safe.
It sounds like you two work on more of a 1x a season schedule.

WarmPepsi, did is see you say elsewhere in this thread that you had ~30 events (one day events?) on your MR?
Old May 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

My MR has now joined the league of others that have swapped to a 5-speed... 4th gear let go during a National Race costing me a win, so out it came and Jon @ TRE put me together a sweet shifting 5-speed (Thanks Jon!)

I ran the 6-speed on fresh MT-90 each race weekend with the newly SCCA authorized larger cooler core and will continue the same with the 5-speed.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VR4orceCJ
My MR has now joined the league of others that have swapped to a 5-speed... 4th gear let go during a National Race costing me a win, so out it came and Jon @ TRE put me together a sweet shifting 5-speed (Thanks Jon!)

I ran the 6-speed on fresh MT-90 each race weekend with the newly SCCA authorized larger cooler core and will continue the same with the 5-speed.
Were you running a tranny cooler? Not sure which "core" you're talking about...oil cooler, tranny cooler, IC...

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; May 15, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Were you running a tranny cooler? Not sure which "core" your talking about...oil cooler, tranny cooler, IC...
I was wondering the same.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Humm sounds to me he was talking about the engine oil cooler...maybe not. I think if you run good fluid Amsoil, Motul, or even that Castrol (Mopar viper fluid) should be good. I have been running the Motul and it shifts much nicer than stock
Old May 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
VR4orceCJ runs a SCCA mandated sized trans cooler core.
Old May 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

I change mine out right before events, Ive done two so far. My first weekend speedventures event was on stock fluid, and second event was on the mopar fluid. Just bought a couple jugs of castrol syntorq LT from 4x4parts.com, will change it before next event again. I notice it does get quite notchy AFTER events, but before on the fresh change its fine. Actually was really notchy on the stock fluid after the first event I did, with the mopar stuff after last event its not that bad so I havent changed it. AutoX's Im not too concerned about. I do my tcase and diff before events too, with diaqueen in those.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
VR4orceCJ runs a SCCA mandated sized trans cooler core.
Just so I'm clear, his 4th gear blow'd up even with a tranny cooler?
Old May 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Just so I'm clear, his 4th gear blow'd up even with a tranny cooler?
Sounds like it.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?