Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess that's always an option, and yes it is hard to find a nice ix. I'll hopefully be test driving a mr in the next few days. I'd like to post a WTB thread but still can't. I just posted my 15th post today soooo... Hopefully I will have my privileges soon. Really would like to purchase in the next couple months.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 06:06 AM

I really hope I dont start having problems with this trans as I would like to run my 6 speed as not to many people do.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo9mr87
I really hope I dont start having problems with this trans as I would like to run my 6 speed as not to many people do.
What do you mean?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Keep in mind over half the IX's sold were MR's so it is easier to find an MR, plus the MR does have some advantages over the GSR like the aluminum roof/fenders.

It's hard as hell to find a clean IX so doing the transmission swap if/when it fails might be easier than ruling out all the MR's
Best bet is to probably just find an SE. It has the same features as the MR (minus the air dam, VG and Gurney), but with a 5spd.

I thought all Evos had aluminum front fenders? I guess all my friends have either MRs or SEs, so I wouldn't know...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

I love this old thread. I just wish I had believed it a few years ago.

You can add me to the list of people that kill the MR transmission. I sheared 4th gear at Texas World Speedway in College Station.

Background:
Car had 40,xxx miles
Car was tracked regularly. I would say I averaged 1 track day/month for about 3 years.
Car had approx 340whp, 340trq
Absolutely no syncro or notching problems with the transmission
I was already in 4th gear, got on the gas and into boost, and then BAM! It felt like a bomb went off under the car. I limped off the course and was able to jam it into 1st to get back to the pits. After that, I couldn't even move the gear lever. The whole transmission was completely filled with metal bits.
Luckily, EvoDynamics here is Dallas had another 6 speed sitting at the shop. Transmission was swapped within 2 weeks.

I never tracked the car again. I decided to buy a salvage title VIII and start fresh.

I think that the MR is a good track car, just don't expect it to last after years of track time.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd06MR
I love this old thread. I just wish I had believed it a few years ago.

You can add me to the list of people that kill the MR transmission. I sheared 4th gear at Texas World Speedway in College Station.

Background:
Car had 40,xxx miles
Car was tracked regularly. I would say I averaged 1 track day/month for about 3 years.
Car had approx 340whp, 340trq
Absolutely no syncro or notching problems with the transmission
I was already in 4th gear, got on the gas and into boost, and then BAM! It felt like a bomb went off under the car. I limped off the course and was able to jam it into 1st to get back to the pits. After that, I couldn't even move the gear lever. The whole transmission was completely filled with metal bits.
Luckily, EvoDynamics here is Dallas had another 6 speed sitting at the shop. Transmission was swapped within 2 weeks.

I never tracked the car again. I decided to buy a salvage title VIII and start fresh.

I think that the MR is a good track car, just don't expect it to last after years of track time.
I think the MR is a great track car, the 6-spd transmission is the problem... swap the trans to a built 5-spd and you get the best of both worlds imo.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Wow, thread bump. glad my thread is still helping people.

Originally Posted by RJones
Best bet is to probably just find an SE. It has the same features as the MR (minus the air dam, VG and Gurney), but with a 5spd.

I thought all Evos had aluminum front fenders? I guess all my friends have either MRs or SEs, so I wouldn't know...
All Evos have alum front front fenders and hoods.

All Evo MR's have alum roofs.

All 2005+ Evo RS's have alum roofs.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

^ I swapped my 6spd preemptively. I figured w/ the torque of the 2.3L it would grenade itself on the dyno while you were tuning.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
You also missed out on the Shep 6spd gearset. I'm currently running that and have had zero complaints.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

I swapped my 6 speed 5 years ago for a 5 speed gsr trans... At BIR in MN I sheared all the teeth off 4th gear! LOL, what are the odds..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

How hard are you guys shifting? I haven't had any issues yet. My car sees 2 driver HPDE and Time Trials about 20 track days a year for 3 years and no issues yet. BTW I'm running 363HP and the stock clutch.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Team Foren
How hard are you guys shifting? I haven't had any issues yet. My car sees 2 driver HPDE and Time Trials about 20 track days a year for 3 years and no issues yet. BTW I'm running 363HP and the stock clutch.
It's not the horsepower that kills transmissions and clutches, it's torque. How much torque are you making? I swapped mine because I had a 2.3 stroker built and run e85. I'm making 430ftlbs on GST's mustang dyno (so probably 500+ on a dynojet). If I had kept the 6spd, it probably would've grenaded on the dyno.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

You're running about a 100 + ftlbs more than I am , so in your case I understand, but, generally if the tranny breaks under 450hp chances are it's driver error.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Team Foren
You're running about a 100 + ftlbs more than I am , so in your case I understand, but, generally if the tranny breaks under 450hp chances are it's driver error.
Thanks for the humor this morning. Please update this thread when your transmission explodes!

But seriously, what makes you think that you are special? I guess you are saying that every single 6sp transmission that broke with a sub-450hp motor was driver error?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd06MR
I guess you are saying that every single 6sp transmission that broke with a sub-450hp motor was driver error?

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?