Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:32 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Street miles don't count in the motorsport section. hahahah

In any case, I sold my car and have a spare 6 speed at home I'm looking to unload if anyone is interested.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 6-speed ate it this past weekend. Was WOT coming over a hill in 4th and then nothing and the car lurched forward. Car was free revving while in 4th gear like it was in nuetral. I put it into 5th then 3rd wnd they both worked.

I drove to the pit and did a cool down lap around the pit and it felt like there was some crunching going on.

Trying to determine whether to just buy a 5-speed or wait until the 6-speed is cracked open and see if it is fixable.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
My 6-speed ate it this past weekend. Was WOT coming over a hill in 4th and then nothing and the car lurched forward. Car was free revving while in 4th gear like it was in nuetral. I put it into 5th then 3rd wnd they both worked.

I drove to the pit and did a cool down lap around the pit and it felt like there was some crunching going on.

Trying to determine whether to just buy a 5-speed or wait until the 6-speed is cracked open and see if it is fixable.
FWIW, when mine died (all the fluid leaked out, Mitsubishi's fault, long story), I found a used one for $350 and a used one for $500. The 5 speeds I could find were all $texas. It made a pretty compelling argument for staying with the 6.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I'll be selling my OEM 6 speed in a few weeks. Engine and tranny are getting yanked for new engine and Shep upgraded 6 speed. OEM tranny has 170,000 miles, but shifts great and I've only put in Castrol SynTorq LT since 12,000 miles.
Old May 1, 2014, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Already got the 6 speed lined up to be rebuilt by Shep. No more 30 minute sessions until I get a tranny cooler.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Mums the word but my transmission is already at Shep's getting the upgrade.

"Dear 6 speed owner,

As promised, you are the first on the list to be contacted about what’s new at Sheptrans! We are now offering new upgraded gear sets for 6-speed transmissions that are currently rated for up to 600hp. This upgrade includes a street/strip rebuild and a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear set. The price is $2675.00 and everything is in stock, ready to be installed, and sent back to you with a turnaround of 10-14 days (with a few days for shipping). Unfortunately we do not have any cores so we will need your original transmission shipped to us. Here are a few shipping options for you:

1. You can use your own pallet and ship through a business address to avoid residential shipping fees which can be upwards of $70.

2. You can order a box to be sent to you from us specifically made for your transmission, then, just call us when it’s packed and we will have it picked up the next day. This option still requires a business address.

3. Simply email us for shipping rates at shipping@sheptrans.com if you are not sure or have any questions.

If you need any further technical support about the upgrade, please feel free to contact Trevor by email at Trevor@sheptrans.com anytime and he will be happy to assist you.

Thank you so much for your business!
Sincerely,
The team at Shepherd Transmission Inc."
Old Jul 1, 2014, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I went back a few pages and didn't seen anything, but has anyone used an external oil cooler with an electric pump?

I know the 6spd have issues, but the 5 speeds are not bullet proof either.

Has anyone done temp testing with various fluids or other cooling mods of any sorts (on either 5 or 6 speed)?

I got my trans apart currently (5speed) because 4th gear was over-worked and let go. (BIR short course is 90% 4th gear).