Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Are you going to use a bypass thermostat?
No, I will probably use a switch.

Jon@TRE told me to keep it on all the time because the tranny will be overfilled if it wasn't turned on. I need to talk to him about it a little bit more.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hm.. that does sound like a PITA. Maybe put a bracket (3 or 4 posts) on the radiator unit so you can attach or remove a simple sheet metal shield with quick release clips? (like RC cars use for lexan bodies but metal). You could weld 3 3/16" flanged posts onto the outside edges of the radiator block and bingo. Or maybe a shroud that slides around the radiator from the side and clips in place. Only take it off for track days... The extra fluid volume would help to naturally cool for normal driving.

It would shield the airflow on really cold days so the pump can run constantly to prevent the tranny box from flooding. I'd hate to run the system on a -10° winter day and have it sludge up because the oil is so overcooled. Your tranny would essentially never warm up.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
HOLY CRAP.

dude.

if you've ran your car at all like mine, you NEED to change your fluid like 6 months ago.

My tranny was a cloudy honey color, when it got all the way down, it had the tiniest particles, the color of your car (metal). But they kept coming and coming and coming.

Then on to the transfer case, dear lord, it's a little darker, but you can actually see the grey in the fluid coming out. (this one is kinda a ***** with the downpipe on)

Finally the rear diff. Damn near black at first, then went to the brownish honey color.

All 3 magnetic drain plugs were so caked with metal, that they had no magnetics left.

I'm amazed the car was still kicking. Thanks again for the heads up.

I think I'll be changing mine after the next event...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
I'd hate to run the system on a -10° winter day and have it sludge up because the oil is so overcooled. Your tranny would essentially never warm up.
I don't have to worry about the -10F days here in California except for the odd really cold nights in Tahoe but I don't take the EVO to Tahoe anyway.

I don't think the extra oil will cool the tranny more, i think it actually makes it worse, which is why Jon told me to run the cooler and pump all the time. Again, I need to talk to him a bit more about it.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vanisher
I think I'll be changing mine after the next event...
I would urge you to do it before your next event.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
I would urge you to do it before your next event.
ditto, i emailed tim, because he's used the car, very similar to what i have.

You haven't run enough events, to be seriously concerned, but i'd still swap it, just to get all the initial particles out.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

I only have 4k miles... Still think I should change it?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vanisher
I only have 4k miles... Still think I should change it?
yeah dude, if nothing else, to be safe.

I waited WAY too long, my stuff was nasty, but as razor pointed out, no telling what of that was initial wear. the tranny is easy. the rear diff is easy, the transfer case would be easiest done with the downpipe off.

I'll be swapping every 3-5 events now, and seeing what it looks like, i'm shocked i still have a tranny.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I don't have to worry about the -10F days here in California except for the odd really cold nights in Tahoe but I don't take the EVO to Tahoe anyway.
Instead you bum rides off me to Tahoe in my Evo.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first time I did the the tranny, tc and rear diff. The fluid from the rear diff had a lot of metal particles in it .... looked like metal sludge towards the end of the drain. I'm going to do it again next week, find out what it looks like ... I'm sure it will be better as the tranny has had a chance to break in and wear smoothly. Also I would recommend everyone use only the factory fluid in all 3 compartments ...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I've taken mine to the dragstip a few times and was planning on autocrossing next month. But after reading what has been happening I'm having douts.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOu don't autocross in 4th, so it's no worry. I have done 200+ drag runs, 20+ autocrosses, and 500 miles of track time before 4th went out. I also drive really hard and am pretty fast, so it wasn't a big surprise this happened to me.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'll be changing mine next week. Yea i don't think autocross is an issue, I never got out of first gear the last 2 events and still took 2nd fastest of the day in all classes. The road course abuse is what concerns me. Almost all of it is in 4th dropping to 3rd in corners and back to 4th. So yea, it's definately time for me. I'm kinda scared at what it's gonna look like...

Is there a write-up with some pics somewhere to make it easier? Or I'll just figure it out, nevermind
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Badog
I'll be changing mine next week. Yea i don't think autocross is an issue, I never got out of first gear the last 2 events and still took 2nd fastest of the day in all classes. The road course abuse is what concerns me. Almost all of it is in 4th dropping to 3rd in corners and back to 4th. So yea, it's definately time for me. I'm kinda scared at what it's gonna look like...

Is there a write-up with some pics somewhere to make it easier? Or I'll just figure it out, nevermind
tim, if you have any questions, just shoot me a call, it's not hard at all.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
YOu don't autocross in 4th, so it's no worry. I have done 200+ drag runs, 20+ autocrosses, and 500 miles of track time before 4th went out. I also drive really hard and am pretty fast, so it wasn't a big surprise this happened to me.
damn, i normally get 175-225 miles on track per event (depending on venue)

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?